Is This Fraud - How does it work?

Not sure if I can post the link here if not, go onto Ebay and search for Canon EF 50mm. It should bring up a seller called Kansasprincess. She / He has a Canon EF 50mm STM Lens (Brand New) with FREE international shipping for the grand total of - 956 Baht!!!!!!! Normally they are between 4.8K and 5.8K.

So what is going on? Last night there was a similar seller, this time from Canada, virtually identical advert, EF 50mm new, free shipping for 960 Baht. So I took a chance and bought it with Paypal. When I checked my e mail in the morning there was a note from E bay saying that the seller had had his account deactivated and if I had not yet paid for the item to just stop and go no further. Then it went on to say that if I had completed the transaction then not to worry as the item would probably be on its way. If it didn't arrive then I should take it up with the Ebay resolution centre.

I thought that would be the end of it and I had just been conned out of 1000 Baht and would now have to wait for 30 days or more to try and get my money back

Then a strange thing happened, I got an e mail from Paypal telling me the price I had paid, which was converted to about 23 USD, but then had the sellers name and e mail and another note telling me that the lens had been shipped!

If this is a scam, anyone know how it works? I cannot understand how they can defraud Paypal, but I also cannot understand why the price is crazy low!

I will try and post the link, maybe you can get a bargain if you feel lucky.  (there is also a brand new 80D advertised for 3500 Baht, free int. post from Italy - Something just seems so wrong here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STM-50mm-EF-Lens-Canon-f-1-8/183632931257?epid=0&hash=item2ac16029b9:g:gckAAOSweI1cObS9:rk:1:pf:0

No, no way a copy, even if it is it is worth the price. This is (from the photos and description) a real Canon lens. I am almost convinced I have been had, but I cannot understand how they can get the money from Paypal, as far as I can see is as long as I follow the rules and do not deal outside of E bay etc. then the purchases are covered for this sort of thing anyway. The guy I bought from has been removed from Ebay, but this lady, the seller that is on there tonight has over 400 positive feedback mentions, and her account is years old - Hijacked account maybe? Who knows, I will ride this one out just to see what happens.

Take a look for yourself, check out the 80D for 98 USD, normally 980 would be more realistic - maybe a typo? That I can understand and expect it to be corrected, but the lens for 900 Baht or so just makes no sense

se.

I imagine there are a lot of people who won't spend the time, energy and frustration it takes to get back $23 from PayPal.  In some countries, a few dozen dodgy transactions at $23 is real money.  Do it with some other products like 256GB SD cards for $15 and it's possible to eke a living out of it.

Years ago, the first time EBay went into China, about half of the products were suspicious, backed up by dozens of excellent feedback from nonsensical accounts, all with less than a few weeks of history.  Then, EBay left China to the indigenous online auction sites.  Maybe it's come full circle?

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

I imagine there are a lot of people who won't spend the time, energy and frustration it takes to get back $23 from PayPal.  In some countries, a few dozen dodgy transactions at $23 is real money.  Do it with some other products like 256GB SD cards for $15 and it's possible to eke a living out of it.

Years ago, the first time EBay went into China, about half of the products were suspicious, backed up by dozens of excellent feedback from nonsensical accounts, all with less than a few weeks of history.  Then, EBay left China to the indigenous online auction sites.  Maybe it's come full circle?

I see what you mean, that all makes sense. I know the guy selling the lens yesterday who has since been removed from Ebay had only joined less than two weeks ago. So that certainly backs up your theory. The only thing now is this girl that looks like she is doing the same thing but she has a long and very positive history, going back years rather than months, but as I said earlier, maybe a hacked account. If I eventually get the 50mm lens for $23 I will be back on here to post, somehow I really don't think it is likely to happen though.

My only problem with a purchase from a chinese seller on ebay was for such a small sum that I never bothered to chase it up despite opening a query & closing it again when the seller said they would re-send the item.

Neither arrived.

UPDATE - Turns out that it is a case of fraud after all. I sent a message to the seller (as advised by Ebay) asking for the tracking number. The E mail has been intercepted by eBay and they replied with something along the lines of "We have been unable to secure a tracking number for this transaction, we would like to apologize for your shopping experience and we have refunded your original account with Canadian $ 37.00.

I must admit, I didn't expect it to go like that, I imagined there would have been a lot of toing and froing with many angry e mails, however, Ebay did the right thing without even being asked! You cannot complain about that.

Archived