Brake pads

janclaes47

I'm gonna renew my brake pads on the Navara. Nissan quotes 3500 Baht for a set, even not sure if that includes labor and VAT.

I have 180K with the original set, and they are not completely finished yet. The discs are 27.8 mm, where they are 28mm new and minimum legal thickness is 26mm, so i don't have to complain.

Original pads are Hitachi, but can't find them here, so which brand and type is recommended?

49 minutes ago, steve187 said:

I know where to buy them, and Lazada would be the last place since those prices are 20% more than the local shops. The Bendix CT is 1100 Baht local compared to 1270 Baht on lazada

But since there are so many brands available, and they all are the best of course, peoples experience with a certain brand would be appreciated

Go to dealers at least you'll get the correct stuff, The old ones lasted well why change to ones your not sure of. Yes go to B/Q but for a saving of a WHOLE 200bt isn't worth the aggro. There has been a post running on TV about fitting new Bendix linings at B/Q and they squealed for months. He ended up paying a lot more to have the discs recut.

Edited by fredob43
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Go to dealers at least you'll get the correct stuff. Yes go to B/Q but for a saving of a WHOLE 200bt isn't worth the aggro.

1500 Baht including VAT and labor, compared to 3500 Baht excluding VAT and labor is a bit more than 200 Baht in my math

Just now, janclaes47 said:

1500 Baht including VAT and labor, compared to 3500 Baht excluding VAT and labor is a bit more than 200 Baht in my math

If you care to look at the OP post he said Nissan quoted 3.500th for a full set. T/A said he got his ones done at B/Q for 3.300th Now let me see 3.500 - 3.300th OH yes loads more than the 200 I quoted. Big slap on the wrist for me.

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If you care to look at the OP post he said Nissan quoted 3.500th for a full set. T/A said he got his ones done at B/Q for 3.300th Now let me see 3.500 - 3.300th OH yes loads more than the 200 I quoted. Big slap on the wrist for me.

If you look at the OP you will notice that I'm the OP.

When you look at TA post you will also notice that he quotes front and rear shoes on a Vigo 4x4 where the OP  ( ME ) has a Nissan Navara and only got pads quoted

And finally if you had bothered to click on the link TA kindly provided you would have seen this, but that's only me.

I think a slap on the wrist would be too kind

image.png.030b251043fd1244e947dd008c20e7d8.png

Edited by janclaes47
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeW said:

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/ap/

It's an American company which was bought by ZF a couple of years back. 

I found that in the mean time, and read some reviews as well, which seem to be pretty positive.

Though you're in Bangkok, and I'm in Pattaya and don't recall to have seen them around, so how much would it cost to post them?

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Once again you dig a hole, your own...????

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

I would recommend TRW as that is what our shop has been selling for 15 years. 

A set of brake pads for a Navara would be 1,050 THB incl vat.

TRW had Factories world wide makeins Engine Valves and Guides   Was a Nice Company to deal with.

7 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Go to dealers at least you'll get the correct stuff, The old ones lasted well why change to ones your not sure of. Yes go to B/Q but for a saving of a WHOLE 200bt isn't worth the aggro. There has been a post running on TV about fitting new Bendix linings at B/Q and they squealed for months. He ended up paying a lot more to have the discs recut.

Dealers will charge like raging bulls to change discs and shoes on an out-of-warranty vehicle.

Dealers will also charge a premium price if you just want to buy their OEM parts and get it done at Somchai's.

B-Quick uses Bendix products.

Bendix brake products are also repackaged and rebranded as OEM parts for quite a few vehicle manufacturers as well as being used in vehicle assembly. And not just in Thailand either.

The squealing brake shoes that you comment about were mine and that was because the guy doing the work probably wasn't told by the check-in staff that I said the old ones were squealing.

The squealing, even with the new shoes was caused by brake rotor glaze and absolutely nothing to do with Bendix brake products.

Either way, they did resolve the issue by skimming the rotors on a follow-up 'complaint' call and no, it did not cost a lot more either.

Finally, no discs were recut or small animals hurt in this movie.

Edited by NanLaew

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Dealers will charge like raging bulls to change discs and shoes on an out-of-warranty vehicle.

Dealers will also charge a premium price if you just want to buy their OEM parts and get it done at Somchai's.

B-Quick uses Bendix products.

Bendix brake products are also repackaged and rebranded as OEM parts for quite a few vehicle manufacturers as well as being used in vehicle assembly. And not just in Thailand either.

The squealing brake shoes that you comment about were mine and that was because the guy doing the work probably wasn't told by the check-in staff that I said the old ones were squealing.

The squealing, even with the new shoes was caused by brake rotor glaze and absolutely nothing to do with Bendix brake products.

Either way, they did resolve the issue by skimming the rotors on a follow-up 'complaint' call and no, it did not cost a lot more either.

Finally, no discs were recut or small animals hurt in this movie.

Hes also an expert on Skateboards.

18 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I found that in the mean time, and read some reviews as well, which seem to be pretty positive.

Though you're in Bangkok, and I'm in Pattaya and don't recall to have seen them around, so how much would it cost to post them?

Not more than 100 THB to ship them out, but I am quite sure that large parts dealers in Pattaya will carry TRW as well.

20 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

100 Baht for ThailandPost plus whatever the seller wants for going to the post office and waiting in line.