Bangkok Bashing! Pattaya (and even Hua Hin) snipes at capital over air quality

webfact

Bangkok Bashing! Pattaya (and even Hua Hin) snipes at capital over air quality

3pm2.jpg

Sophon published a report on the air quality in Pattaya saying that despite the woes of Bangkok everything was absolutely fine in their resort town. 

There had not been a single case of respiratory problems reported at one major hospital, they said. 

In fact their report smacked of points scoring at the expense of the capital even though figures showed things were not much worse in Bangkok. 

Even Hua Hin authorities said despite concerns in the resort 200 kilometers from Bangkok everything there was fine. The Bangkok bashing seemed unfair especially as Rayong was rated worse than the metropolitan area.

Sophon produced a graphic from the Air Visual app that showed some of the worst hit places in Thailand suffering from particulate matter in excess of 2.5 microns. 

Without providing much in the way of evidence they took some shots across the bow of Bangkok saying that the city was suffering from terrible traffic and an ever increasing number of vehicles. 

This, and lots of street level construction work, was to blame for the poor air quality in Bangkok, they said.

Meanwhile everything in Pattaya was wonderful. They quoted deputy mayor Pramet Ngamphichet as saying that there had NOT BEEN A SINGLE CASE of respiratory problems reported at Muang Pattaya Hospital. 

3pm3.jpg

Meanwhile, Talk News Online quoted a meteorological  expert in Hua Hin who admitted there was considerable concern in Hua Hin and Cha Am with haze. But he said that the visibility was three to five kilometers and any haze was a cool season phenomenon caused by sea water vapor. 

It had nothing to do with dust from Bangkok. 

The app mentioned by Sophon indicated areas affected by air pollution with orange, red and purple being the worst.

Only Samut Prakarn south east of Bangkok was very high on the scale with 304.

Bangkok merited 163 and Chonburi, that contains Pattaya, had 138. Most of the red zone areas were in central regions except Chiang Rai that had a rating of 124.

Others were: Rayong 170, Samut Sakhon 179, Ratchaburi 125, Kanchanaburi, 115. 

Chiang Mai rated just orange on the scale. 

Source: Sophon Cable, Talk News Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-15

3pm1.jpg

• Haha 1

Almost on a nightly basis garbage is burned in Hua Hin by various companies in large amounts. By the stench, plastics and   household garbage comprises some of material being burned. Good luck turning this into the 'thai riviera' lol. People I feel bad for are those that live in close proximity with young children, it has to have an effect on their respiratory systems.  

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I live in Hua Hin and I will trade Bangkok some clean air for some of the beautiful women they are hogging.    

You bank account isn,t sufficient enough to support a beautiful Bangkok (or anywhere else) woman.......:clap2:

3 hours ago, webfact said:

There had not been a single case of respiratory problems reported at one major hospital, they said. 

Strange, a friend of mine just spent a spell in a Pattaya hospital with exactly that!

So BS!

5 hours ago, balo said:

This is a nonsense report.

People get sick long term , they do not seek hospitals immediately. It can take weeks, months and you can get a chronic illness. Too many particles in the air , you inhale it and the lungs will suffer. 

"Exposure to such particles can affect both your lungs and your heart. Long-term exposure to particulate pollution can result in significant health problems including: Increased respiratory symptoms, such as irritation of the airways, coughing or difficulty breathing. Decreased lung function. "

Which pretty well guarantees that nothing will be done about it, Thais don't think long term, anything past the end of the month might as well be a lifetime away...... 

• Like 1

I have a plan to cut pollution by traffic.  An editorial by major media like newspapers/TV about the utter futility of allowing loudspeaker vans to tour town centres.  Can  the business people who pay for this service not see the effect on potential customers?

Nobody walks in Thailand so nobody hears more than a scrap of the broadcasted message.  The slow moving vehicles, besides emitting pollutants of their own, bring traffic to a crawl which also increases traffic pollution/motorist impatience.

Would you patronise a business that inflicts health hazards and delays on the general public?  I notice now they are driving in convoys of two to maximise the inconvenience.

Edited by mikebell
missing word,

18 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

And my wife called Pattaya City Hall for number 5 times for complaining about thai people burning but they do absolutely nothing about it 

It is a health hazard to be living here 

Some months ago I did a written report to Pattaya City Council about a food vendor at the Bukhaow markets cooking and the smoke he was generating you couldn't breath for it and I was sitting in a bar on the opposite side of the road, and what happened NOTHING exactly that NOTHING he still belches out smoke every day. Don't know what's worse him or the people illegally smoking in the bars either way I'm too old to worry about it leave it to the young ones. 

16 minutes ago, a977 said:

Some months ago I did a written report to Pattaya City Council about a food vendor at the Bukhaow markets cooking and the smoke he was generating you couldn't breath for it and I was sitting in a bar on the opposite side of the road, and what happened NOTHING exactly that NOTHING he still belches out smoke every day. Don't know what's worse him or the people illegally smoking in the bars either way I'm too old to worry about it leave it to the young ones. 

Just move to another bar, it isn't like there is a shortage of them. Tell the bar owner, they will perhaps complain to the guy himself with a veiled threat. Worst for me is the bug cookers, what a vile smell. Any bar on Buakhao itself and you are breathing 90% diesel fumes. 

Edited by jacko45k