Thai Learning English

RAZZELL

I know this is a Thai Language forum, mods, feel free to move if you feel my post would be better served elsewhere.

A Thai friend (who yes, is female but is not my GF), wants to learn English.

She is currently a hairdresser in a shop in the high Suk numbers. She seems to be able to read ok, with the help of a book, or dictionary. But her speaking is poor, just about the "hello, how are you?", "thank you..." stage...

Opposite her work is an English Language school. I just wondered how much would some lessons cost? She seems to think about 12,000 baht for 90 hours? Does this sound right?

Alternatively, any suggestions for a good school near a Skytrain station? I imagine evening/weekend classes would be better, although her hours are pretty flexible.

Thanks in advance...I might surprise her for her birthday :o

RAZZ

It sounds like a lot of hours to pay for upfront - around 30 is more common - around 3000 - 4000 for 30 hours is about right. I would have thought that if you wanted to pay for 90 hours you would have got a little discount.

Other factors can also affect the price. If the classes are taught by a farang, what the school is, size of class, etc.

Good luck

I thought this thread was going to be about how common English learning was in Thailand and what level of proficiency is commonly achieved. I have met many who can understand everything I say and vice versa, but not many who are free of frequent grammatical errors and could fool me into thinking English was their first language. Though of course the same for Farang's speaking Thai is even more rare.

Opposite her work is an English Language school.

Not all English Language schools are created equal. Schools with Thai teachers will be cheaper, but student progress will be poor since (almost all) Thai teachers can't pronounce English correctly and have a poor grip of how English is actually used.

I would suggest that she heads to AUA which only has native English speakers, and is slightly cheaper than other similar schools because it's a not-for-profit organisation. (It also has a smaller proportion of alcoholics, sex fiends and drug abusers than other schools, in my experience.)

Thirty hours costs 2,400 Baht.

http://www.auathailand.org/

(And no, I don't work for them.)

Opposite her work is an English Language school.

Not all English Language schools are created equal. Schools with Thai teachers will be cheaper, but student progress will be poor since (almost all) Thai teachers can't pronounce English correctly and have a poor grip of how English is actually used.

I would suggest that she heads to AUA which only has native English speakers, and is slightly cheaper than other similar schools because it's a not-for-profit organisation. (It also has a smaller proportion of alcoholics, sex fiends and drug abusers than other schools, in my experience.)

Thirty hours costs 2,400 Baht.

http://www.auathailand.org/

(And no, I don't work for them.)

RAZZ

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on what she wants to learn. If she wants to learn a conversation course, there are some conversation courses at AUA but I am not sure if there are some requirements.

If she wants to study there, she has to take a test called "placement test" to evaluate her english level. And if she selects to study some thing like regular course (I think there are 15 levels). The courses mainly focuses on english grammar and many friends of mine told me that they did not have many chances to speak english. It was like just taking a lecture. I never took a regular course though. She may have a chance to say about 3-4 sentences in each time. But if her english level is high enough, she can take a non-regular course such as writing and conversation courses. Oh..there would be more than 30 students in each class (for regular courses) but it also depends on what time she want to study. My friend took an intensive course which is more expensive and she has to study 6 hrs a day (I am not sure about this). In this course, they will teach several skills such as conversation, presentation, writing, and listening. However, this course is designed for people who are going to study aboard. Again, she needs to take a test to evaluate her level for this intensive course as well (it is not the placement test I mentioned earlier). I think there are 6 levels for the intensive course. However, it could have changed so you'd better go check at AUA.

I think it would be more effective to have a private tuitor. She may try for 10 hrs first and see if she likes it. For some schools, she can go to see how they teach before making a decision. I think there are several language institutes which have courses for small group of students (4-6 students in one class). But, of course, it will be more expensive. From my experience, if she has good basic english grammar, she should not take a regular course because they will teach what she's already known. If she want to practice speaking, I would suggest conversation course at AUA (Less expensive than the other places). I think, her problem is not about grammar but she does not have many chances to speak english. Ohyou may wanna go check Andrew Biggs Academy. I think you know him. He is from Australia and has been living her for more than 10 years.