ongoing ticket from Thailand?

Hi there, I am flying back to Chiang Mai this Wednesday on a one-way flight from the Philippines. I am intending to stay for a couple of months.

I have a return ticket to Europe from the Philippines - and I will make a one way flight from Thailand back to the Philippines in a couple of months. My question is:

A. Will Thai customs allow entry if I show my return ticket to Europe from the Philippines ?

B. Should I purchase a one way ticket back to Philippines before I leave for Thailand ?
C. Is it too late to apply for an extended visa before Wed. 23? (I am 65 years.)
D. Any other options ?

thanks for your attention!

Edited by pachoderm
extra details

Are you planning to come here on a visa exemption stamp? If you are and currently have no onward ticket out of Thailand then there is every chance they may stop you at the border.

By law to enter Thailand as a tourist you need to have a return/onward ticket and also be able to prove you can support yourself financially for the duration of your stay. The amount needed is 20,000 baht or the equivalent in another currency. If you are planning on obtaining a tourist visa from a consulate outside of Thailand they may also ask to see these.

It used to be that you could just roll up and breeze through immigration without any of the above. Not the case anymore, since 2014 they have really been clamping down on those that abuse tourist/exemption visas to stay here long term.

With regards to your extended visa (not sure what you mean by that) you could go and see the Thai consulate in the Philippines to see about them issuing you with a 2 month Thai tourist visa. Whether or not they will issue you with one at such short notice I don't know, but it would certainly be worth checking first.

Get your ducks in a row just to be on the safe side.

KP.

Edited by KhunProletariat
  • Like 2

If you are entering visa exempt to get a 30 day entry the airline may want to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days to board your flight. Immigration seldom ask to see one unless have done several of them.

If had a tourist is visa a return or onward would not be needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pachoderm said:

B. Should I purchase a one way ticket back to Philippines before I leave for Thailand ?

Yes, if coming without a Visa.  May be needed to board the plane, and also could be requested by Thai immigration.

C. Is it too late to apply for an extended visa before Wed. 23? (I am 65 years.)

If you are in the Manila area, you could apply at the Thai consulate for a Tourist Visa (grants 60-days upon entry) there tomorrow (Monday), and hopefully get your visa back by Tuesday.  Most consulates do next-day service, but ask about turn-around time to be sure, as there are a few that do not (Phnom Penh, for example).

A single-entry Non-O visa issued to those over 50 based on retirement would is possible if they issue them to non-residents in Manila (I'm not sure on this), and if you have all the paperwork they want to see to qualify for it (varies by Thai Consulate).

• Like 1

thanks for all the valuable feedback everyone. I only wanted to do this one-way fare to give me more flexibility about what date I return to the Philippines. I am wondering about the inward journey - if Thai customs refuse entry at BKK, if I can buy a return ticket on the spot (on my phone or laptop) and show it to them?

7 minutes ago, pachoderm said:

if Thai customs refuse entry at BKK, if I can buy a return ticket on the spot (on my phone or laptop) and show it to them?

Probably not. As if immigration (not customs) are refusing entry they are unlikely to let you fulfill a requirement after you have already told them you have no ticket. 

Why not not buy an onward ticket for about $7?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, if coming without a Visa.  May be needed to board the plane, and also could be requested by Thai immigration.

If you are in the Manila area, you could apply at the Thai consulate for a Tourist Visa (grants 60-days upon entry) there tomorrow (Monday), and hopefully get your visa back by Tuesday.  Most consulates do next-day service, but ask about turn-around time to be sure, as there are a few that do not (Phnom Penh, for example).

A single-entry Non-O visa issued to those over 50 based on retirement would is possible if they issue them to non-residents in Manila (I'm not sure on this), and if you have all the paperwork they want to see to qualify for it (varies by Thai Consulate).

Yes, will be trying from Cebu City and will probably go for Non O that I was contemplating last year. I can buy a ticket very cheap for two months time, it just locks me into that date.

Edited by pachoderm
more data

Yes, will be trying from Cebu City and will probably go for Non O that I was contemplating last year. I can buy a ticket very cheap for two months time, it just locks me into that date.

The Cebu-City Thai consul has been reported as not helpful, but we do not get many reports from there, so please let us know of your experience with them.

Edited by JackThompson