Australian Consular Advice

donna

I have just this minute received an email from the Australian Consulate saying the following:

Summary

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution because of the high

threat of terrorist attack. We continue to receive reports that terrorists

may be planning attacks against a range of targets, including places

frequented by foreigners. Reports indicate possible bombing attacks at

crowded places such as department stores, and sky-train and subway stations

in Bangkok on Friday 23 February 2007.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I have just this minute received an email from the Australian Consulate saying the following:

Summary

There have been rumours about bombs on this day and the Bangkok Governor ordered stepped up security.

The z Embassy is just passing these on and covering its back t the same time

I get reports like this regularly for the country I work in (currently very high risk).

The top part of the message is the usual wording but I’ve never received messages mentioning a specific date.

It may be worth taking the advice seriously as they know a bit more than they are letting on.

Ever since missing a trick on the Bali bombings, the Aussie Foreign Office has been absurdly OVER diligent (in my view) on issuing such notices. I guess it's understandable - as someone said, they are basically covering their back.

It would be interesting to look at their website and work out exactly where it is considered safe to go these days.

I suspect only Sydney and Melbourne, which is ironic given their high profile support of the US in Iraq and the fact that their complacent attitude to security beggars belief.

Ever since missing a trick on the Bali bombings, the Aussie Foreign Office has been absurdly OVER diligent (in my view) on issuing such notices. I guess it's understandable - as someone said, they are basically covering their back.

It would be interesting to look at their website and work out exactly where it is considered safe to go these days.

I suspect only Sydney and Melbourne, which is ironic given their high profile support of the US in Iraq and the fact that their complacent attitude to security beggars belief.

since losing the cricket and rugby, they haven't got anything else to talk about, so they talk about bombs in Thailand.

Wouldn't lose too much sleep over this sort of thing.

Mind you, how about that Stirling Mortlock. And what with the Donz getting married, well maybe they can start talking about that.

I’ve never received messages mentioning a specific date.

That is unusual, yes.

Were Aussies the only ones to be put on alert ?

Nothing on the Brit Embassy

It is on the front page of the Straits Times though naming the 23rd by the Bangkok gov. as I said - its hidden in the story about insurgents infiltrating Uni's in Bangkok namely Ram

Summary

Yes, we whitey's are now at defcon 5

Just followed up on this with an Australian in a position to know. The words "credible information" and "significant concern" were used. The confidence level in the information they are working with is high; this does not mean an attack in Bangkok is imminent, only that the potential for one is real and somewhat greater than normal.

The period of concern includes not only today but also this weekend. However if the situation in the South, particularly Yala, remains relatively quiet, they expect to downgrade the threat to Bangkok.

Let's face facts: there are too many people with too many causes and too little respect for human life and property. We're all in somebody's cross-hairs no matter where we go. And though it may sound callous, while hundreds of people will be killed by terrorists somewhere today, your chances of being one of them, especially in Bangkok, are not very high. Considering that one of the primary goals of a terrorist is to sow economic and social disruption, going about your daily routine is an appropriate form of resistance.