TAT shows foreign visitors by the numbers

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, keemapoot said:

That's not true at all with respect to the US. US tourists are the 2nd highest spending foreign tourists globally after China, though with a much smaller populace.

A US tourist has many, many cheaper and closer destinations that offer many of the same characteristics of a Thailand holiday. The average flight time is over 15 hours, and door-to-door travel time from US to Thailand is 24 hours. You can fly to resorts in Mexico or Caribbean in an hour or more for a fraction of the cost.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-spend-the-most-on-international-tourism.html

I think it's by passport, not by origin.

Just now, webfact said:

Of the 38 million foreign visitors to Thailand last year, 10.6 million came from China, 4.1 million from Malaysia and 1.8 million each from South Korea and Laos. 

Let me guess; by the (notorious mis-) calculations of the TAT do the 1.8 million Laotions probably generate 64% more tourism income than the 1.1 million Americans... ????????

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Intelligence Centre I wonder where that is dont need a big place

That is a pretty nasty thing to say.  I'm sure it's a state-of-the-art complex with supercomputers and a Minority-Report-style 3D interface for visualizing and analyzing the absolutely massive amount of detailed information they diligently and accurately collect.  Also, I'm pretty sure it's the envy of the world.  

Wait, what's happening?  Oh, crap... I think my drink's been spiked and I'm about to pass the hell ou by ffj do d do khddschtgddvuddcgyyjk

7 hours ago, thedemon said:

Quite a bit of distortion in the numbers here. There is a big difference between an American travelling for 20+ hours each way and staying 2 weeks in 5 star hotels than a Malaysian that pops across to Dannok for a quick BJ and plate of Khao man gai.

that is funny.  HOWEVER, I do think there might, just might, be American backpackers who stay in hostels, go see hookers on the street at 3 a.m. and then eat 11 baht tom yam gung soup before taking a 100-day long train ride to burma.

I have NEVER stayed in anything under a 5-star, but that is neither here nor there.

I don't know where Dannok is, but i like your sense of humor.  

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

"What I told you western nations are going to MORE expensive countries?"

That would make no sense. It'd be gobbledegook. How can a Western nation or any other nation be going to MORE expensive countries?

You simply can't make a nation go to another country, it's a physical impossibility!

yea, you are right.  100% correctomundo.. i'm 100% deaddumbwrong

now, think about what i MEANT to say.... can you work it out?

want me to help you?

need a cookie for motivation?

So you still have zero clue what I meant to say.  

Hey, can you corrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrect this post also?

tks

My own silliness aside, it would be much more informative to see something closer to a breakdown by nation using baht spent per visitor-day, with a 2- or 3-month cutoff to distinguish tourists from the part- and full-time expats.

Difficult information to collect even in the most advanced countries and with  impartial researchers, so not holding my breath.

5 minutes ago, ramr said:

My own silliness aside, it would be much more informative to see something closer to a breakdown by nation using baht spent per visitor-day, with a 2- or 3-month cutoff to distinguish tourists from the part- and full-time expats.

Difficult information to collect even in the most advanced countries and with  impartial researchers, so not holding my breath.

Easy to find.  China spends about 4 times as much as the UK.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/273127/countries-with-the-highest-expenditure-in-international-tourism/

The average Chinese tourist remains in the country for one week and spends 30,000–40,000 baht (US$1,000–1,300) per person, per trip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

I don't think the Brits spend enough to be counted anymore as I can't find a reference for them. 

If Mexico ever gets itself under control and takes care of the narcotraffickers and becomes a relatively safe place again, that percentage of Americans coming to Thailand will be cut by 75 percent. The high level tourist conclaves in Mexico are still light years better than what you get in Thailand. 

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

The chart above shows it was made by the T.A.T. intelligence centre:cheesy:

Intelligence within T.A.T. laughable just laughable.

A bit of an oxymoron that................much like the saying, "military intelligence".

29 minutes ago, zydeco said:

If Mexico ever gets itself under control and takes care of the narcotraffickers and becomes a relatively safe place again, that percentage of Americans coming to Thailand will be cut by 75 percent. The high level tourist conclaves in Mexico are still light years better than what you get in Thailand. 

It would then tick many of the same boxes that bring people to Thailand.  And a couple others as well.  It would likely present a better vacation value for many types/tiers of tourists, maybe not for others... the specific breakdown would be interesting to know.  Way too many devilish details for me to say more, especially given my level of laziness at the moment.

Maybe I'll feel less lazy later.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Easy to find.  China spends about 4 times as much as the UK.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/273127/countries-with-the-highest-expenditure-in-international-tourism/

The average Chinese tourist remains in the country for one week and spends 30,000–40,000 baht (US$1,000–1,300) per person, per trip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

I don't think the Brits spend enough to be counted anymore as I can't find a reference for them.

Thanks for the link, but it's not at all the info I was interested in per my post. 

Without wanting to horrify any of the 'apologists', but have we done the math right here?

Are we actually trying to suggest that close to 23% of the entire Singapore population visited Thailand???

I don't think so

Now there may well have been 1.3M Singaporean entries, but thats multiple entries by the same people on business. 

The same is probably true for the number most of the Asian countries.

The Russian, US, Europeans, they're probably majority tourists, but come on smell the roses for God's sake

On 1/21/2019 at 4:19 AM, yogi100 said:

It just shows how the Western nations are becoming less prosperous and less important globally while the Eastern nations are forging ahead.

It should also make you wonder why.

Actually, no...it doesn't. :coffee1:

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Without wanting to horrify any of the 'apologists', but have we done the math right here?

Are we actually trying to suggest that close to 23% of the entire Singapore population visited Thailand???

I don't think so

Now there may well have been 1.3M Singaporean entries, but thats multiple entries by the same people on business. 

The same is probably true for the number most of the Asian countries.

The Russian, US, Europeans, they're probably majority tourists, but come on smell the roses for God's sake

You think there are more Russians, US, Europeans than Chinese or that they spend more?

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

A bit of an oxymoron that................much like the saying, "military intelligence".

Why don't you post a better chart or more accurate numbers instead of flaming? 

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You think there are more Russians, US, Europeans than Chinese or that they spend more?

I would love to the see the chart that shows who spends more money while in Thailand, just because 10 million Chinese come, doesn't mean they spend more than say 1-2 million people from Western Countries. 

On 1/21/2019 at 2:19 AM, yogi100 said:

It just shows how the Western nations are becoming less prosperous and less important globally while the Eastern nations are forging ahead.

Not necessarily less prosperous, it could just mean that Westerners have already been to Thailand and are going elsewhere instead.

I live in London which is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and has been since ocean liners and passenger aircraft came into use.

We now have hordes of oriental visitors mainly from China but also from many other Asian countries. Many are also enrolled in our colleges and universities. Years ago we hardly had any apart from a few Japanese taking photos of everything.

Visit the Tower of London and most of the faces you often see will be Oriental when they used to be Europeans, Americans and a few Antipodeans.

Western shops are full of goods made in Asia especially computers, TVs, mobile phones and other electrical goods. Before this such items were domestically produced. 

Our roads are full of Japanese and other Asian makes of cars and motor cycles when in the past they were also home produced with names like Hillman, Austin of England and Matchless. They're all long gone and largely forgotten now.

They are out producing us and selling us more goods than we can even manufacture any more. Our currencies depreciation against the Thai Baht among that of other Asian countries is ample evidence of their increasing prosperity while we in the UK have recently witnessed the introduction food banks.

These distribution centres are accessed not just by the unemployed by also by the working poor members of our society. Rough sleepers and beggars are common sights in our cities much more so than when I was a young man.

Years ago it was said by some that 'Made In Britain' was a hallmark of quality. Now you hardly see anything with 'Made In Britain' written or inscribed upon it.

That is why I said previously than 'it just shows how the Western nations are becoming less prosperous and less important globally while the Eastern nations are forging ahead.'

Give 'em time.

On 1/20/2019 at 4:19 PM, yogi100 said:

I'm sure there is some accuracy to what your saying but I also suspect that Thailand has become less appealing as a travel destination with it's current leadership in place. And the attempts by TAT to lure tourist to the country have not been offered to Westerners quite as much.

3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I live in London which is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and has been since ocean liners and passenger aircraft came into use.

We now have hordes of oriental visitors mainly from China but also from many other Asian countries. Many are also enrolled in our colleges and universities. Years ago we hardly had any apart from a few Japanese taking photos of everything.

Visit the Tower of London and most of the faces you often see will be Oriental when they used to be Europeans, Americans and a few Antipodeans.

Western shops are full of goods made in Asia especially computers, TVs, mobile phones and other electrical goods. Before this such items were domestically produced. 

Our roads are full of Japanese and other Asian makes of cars and motor cycles when in the past they were also home produced with names like Hillman, Austin of England and Matchless. They're all long gone and largely forgotten now.

They are out producing us and selling us more goods than we can even manufacture any more. Our currencies depreciation against the Thai Baht among that of other Asian countries is ample evidence of their increasing prosperity while we in the UK have recently witnessed the introduction food banks.

These distribution centres are accessed not just by the unemployed by also by the working poor members of our society. Rough sleepers and beggars are common sights in our cities much more so than when I was a young man.

Years ago it was said by some that 'Made In Britain' was a hallmark of quality. Now you hardly see anything with 'Made In Britain' written or inscribed upon it.

That is why I said previously that 'it just shows how the Western nations are becoming less prosperous and less important globally while the Eastern nations are forging ahead.'

Give it time.

6 hours ago, zydeco said:

American and European visitors beguiled by the lovely red sunsets resultant from all the smog. Chinese meanwhile feel right at home.

You can go anywhere in Europe or Caribbean for far less money or the same but higher quality than in Thailand.

If you like high-end 5* hotels, fancy food and drinks then even Maldives all inclusive resorts would cost you about the same as Thailand.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:19 AM, yogi100 said:

Western nations are choosing different destinations other than Thailand

https://www.finder.com/uk/outbound-tourism-statistics

Thailand no where to be seen yet UK outbound tourism is at an all time high. If anything it just shows that Thailand may be accepting more tourists but tourists with less spending power.

On 1/22/2019 at 4:39 PM, yogi100 said:

That is why I said previously than 'it just shows how the Western nations are becoming less prosperous and less important globally while the Eastern nations are forging ahead.'

Give 'em time.

Its called progress, why work in a stinking factory making stuff when working in blue collar or medical research is far cleaner and better paid, just like the Empire...let the colonials do the dirty work. Western currencies are deliberately being kept down although the Greenback is seeing a recovery as of late

On 1/22/2019 at 2:05 PM, ocddave said:

I would love to the see the chart that shows who spends more money while in Thailand, just because 10 million Chinese come, doesn't mean they spend more than say 1-2 million people from Western Countries. 

https://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/nielsenglobal/cn/docs/Outbound Chinese Tourism and Consumption Trends.pdf

https://www.finder.com/uk/outbound-tourism-statistics

Chinese $762  Brit $800

Archived