Calibrating your Android Phone's compass

ravip

Today most of us use Google maps to find our way around and to look for places.

How often do we calibrate our phones' compass? I faced a challenge trying to do this and here is the story.

From the Home screen, entering the code: *#0*# and clicking the tile "Sensor" and scrolling down to the  "Magnetic Sensor", you see a circle with a line and a number behind it, which has the following meaning:

Red line with a 0 = The compass sensor must be calibrated.

Blue line with a 3 = The magnetic sensor is calibrated.

I see the Blue line with a 3.

But on Google maps, it shows that the Compass accuracy is low. The recommended figure of 8 manoeuvre did not make any difference, 

Any recommendations for Compass calibration?

Device: SM-A500G

Android version: 6.0.1

Blue_Line.jpg

Blue_Dot.jpg

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

This works for me:

Thank you for the tip. After this did your Google Maps...

1. Blue Dot beam become narrower?

2. Google maps compass calibration say your Compass Accuracy: High?

42 minutes ago, ravip said:

Thank you for the tip. After this did your Google Maps...

1. Blue Dot beam become narrower?

2. Google maps compass calibration say your Compass Accuracy: High?

I don't know if it will ever get any narrower than that shown below, but mine is about that, or maybe a little wider.  Clicking on the dot and choosing the "Calibrate compass" option brings up the figure 8 diagram and the message "Compass accuracy: high"  I've checked it against a magnetic compass using an App called "My Magnetic Instrument", and also use it for a couple of astronomical apps, namely Redshift and Sky Map, with the stars and planets all in their correct positions - though, admittedly, a small error would be hard to spot in this case.

I did notice that the beam changes width with location - generally being narrowest when outside, probably due to magnetic interference when indoors or near buildings/cars when outdoors.  Some phone cases also have a magnetic clasp, which probably doesn't do it much good either. 

Do you have your location set to high accuracy?

Help_Article_v1.gif

Yes. Location set to high accuracy. But clicking on the Blue Dot says the compass accuracy is low. But for all Navigation purposes Google maps works fine.  I  just want to see why the app reports that the compass accuracy is low - want to fix it. Thank you for your responses. 

Archived