Video: Chiang Mai police set to throw the book at cop who took bribe from Chinese tourist

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Letting him stay on the payroll is hardly what I would call throwing the book at him. Sack him and charge him with a criminal offence, leaving him sat in a jail cell is more what I think would be appropriate. At that point others, might pay attention. Corruption being so ingrained in them, probably not though.

That's him! He just arrived at the "Center for Holder of Inactive Posts".

Center%20of%20inactive%20cops_zpsursm8fc

34 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Quite a few "holier than thao" posters on here. I'd gladly fork out 200 Bt. to avoid all the messing of having to go to a police station to pay a fine before having the clamp removed?

Good point, it's like some people are using agents for their visa 'problems'. If  the authorities really cared about the illegall parking situation in the city, they should increase the 200 baht bribe to 500 baht (compared to the official 400?).

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

Oh boy. Transferring him to a desk, where he still keeps his job, still keeps his pay packet. That'll send a tough message to others. 

We can expect to see corruption drop to zero with that sort of punishment...

Actually they don't transfer them to a desk anywhere.  It is the stock answer but nothing actually happens.  The brown envelope culture is embedded and operates on all levels.  The higher the rank the fatter the envelope.

1 hour ago, krystian said:

They should also get rid of the POLICE on the expressway tollgate from rama 2 road!!! They got 5k baht from my friend!! They are always there from 8pm!!

5K! I'd rather take the ticket and pay at the office. What problems can one have at a tollgate to get a 5K fine?

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I've got an in-law who went from Senior Sergeant Major to Lieutenant.  I jokingly asked him what too him so long.  He replied, dead serious - "Do you know how much it cost to go from enlisted to officer staff? Trust me, it's not cheap!" 

This is pretty much how the promotion $y$tem in all government offices works. He’s right - it isn’t cheap

Endemic corruption. The honest ones soon find out they are surrounded by greed, by self-protecting cronies and the futility of honesty.

Having witnessed so much, I am thankful I am just a long-term, passing through.

6 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Fair comment. After the amount of speeding tickets I’ve had here I would have had my license confiscated a long time ago in UK.

Well stop speeding then and endangering yours and other lives

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

Oh boy. Transferring him to a desk, where he still keeps his job, still keeps his pay packet. That'll send a tough message to others. 

You don't understand. He has been removed from the chain of 'donations' that the generous public so willing give to the police as his punishment for 'freelancing'. Corruption is apparently not a crime in Thailand, otherwise he would have been arrested and charged instead of being given a desk job.

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

Did you finish reading? ''and will face internal disciplinary measures as prescribed by the force.''  

This is Thailand!  Of course, the person who took the video will be punished!  In Thailand, the wrongdoer is not often punished!  Persecution of the messenger is mandatory.  

I am sure that a similar video can be taken every day but a wise Thai deletes it!

11 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Fair comment. After the amount of speeding tickets I’ve had here I would have had my license confiscated a long time ago in UK.

I don't guess you've snapped the the correlation between diligent enforcement and risk of losing your license, with the low traffic fatality rate back home in the UK?   

Why don't you stop speeding before you kill someone?  C'mon... You don't need a cop to tell you you're putting innocent lives at risk.

I don't claim to understand all I saw in the video clip but I thought offenders were allowed to pay the cop for the fine or go to the station to pay it, at least for some offenses such as helmet violations. 

Also, unless the cop spoke Chinese or the tourist spoke Thai how were either to know that the tourist already knew the fine amount  and was simply paying it. How is it obvious this was meant as a bribe? 

I'm not defending or accusing  either of them, just curious. 

Luckily I have never been stopped or tried to bribe a Thai official. No doubt the day will come for the former and I might want then to consider the latter. Maybe I'm just naive. 

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't guess you've snapped the the correlation between diligent enforcement and risk of losing your license, with the low traffic fatality rate back home in the UK?   

Why don't you stop speeding before you kill someone?  C'mon... You don't need a cop to tell you you're putting innocent lives at risk.

If I don’t speed all the somchais overtake me.

Archived