Live-aboard

banjo

I have never done it myself,but when I was on a cruising boat I did hear of folks that was doing it ,so it is possible,but gonna be very hot when anchored up.

check in latitude 38 mag. if you are in the states,they should have a little about it from the folks that are doing it. lots of luck and hope ya make it,,I always wanted to and couldn't get crew to do it with,seem like everyone is a sailor til you get em to sea. :o

Thanks Kevin, I was just daydreaming and imagining myself anchored of the Kamala beach, attending to my business via the internet in the morning and taking a swim and sipping a few coldies in the afternoon, before settling back to watch the sunset while sipping a nice cab/sav with my beautiful girl.

Maybe next year.

Cheers

Depends on many factors. Likely to have trouble with both Immigration and Customs if in Thai territorial waters for extended periods.

If you are in a non-Thai registered boat there are problems - I'm not sure of the maximum time in Thai waters, but I doubt thast it exceeds the 30-day limit on a normal tourist visa.

Around Phuket you will find knowledgeable people - then again, you will find people who talk as if they know it all, but know nothing. (Same everywhere, ain't it)

Banjo ;;check here as this place is great and will give you the straight answers,Owners name is Chris Frost and a very good friend of mine and all cruisers,They are on the nets and get all the info everyday,and a swell guy to do business with even on the ssb or ham from sea.They are in San Diego,down on shelter island.Also might try the second link on that forum.

http://www.downwindmarine.com/

http://www.cruisingworld.com/forums.jsp

My guess is that you will need to clear Thai Customs and Immigration at you first port of call.

Then you can cruise the coastal areas.

Passports and visas will be required, just as they are for a yatch visiting any other country.

Not sure how you get stamped out at the end.

I guess you will need to visit immigrtaion before departing territorial waters.

Depends on many factors. Likely to have trouble with both Immigration and Customs if in Thai territorial waters for extended periods.

If you are in a non-Thai registered boat there are problems - I'm not sure of the maximum time in Thai waters, but I doubt thast it exceeds the 30-day limit on a normal tourist visa.

Around Phuket you will find knowledgeable people - then again, you will find people who talk as if they know it all, but know nothing. (Same everywhere, ain't it)

You'll need a proper visa to arrive by a private vessel.

entering a country by boat is the same way as but any other method.Hove ever there are only a few ports of entry.you would initially have to enter a marina(phuket,pattaya etc) from there you check in at the marina office.show boat registration papers,copy of insurance of boat.passport.

the marina will then either arrange for you to be sent to immigration and customs,or in some marinas around the world these facilities will be in the marina already.

you goto them,with all your paperwork and passports,customs may wish to inspect the boat (usually not,but depends on where you are.some just want to get on and get some free stuff,whiskey,cigarettes etc)

but immigration will give you a visa just like arriving at the border.

once you have your visas,you can go anywhere you like,

but must leave before it expires.the boat does not necessariliy need to leave.

the laws in thailand are changing all the time about boats.2 years ago they wanted to charge everyone 200% tax if the boat was here for over a month...needless to ay many boats went somewhere else.they have since changed it i think and now boats can stay 6 month without any tax problems,or longer if they can prove that work is being done on the boat.

thats the last i heard but it could have changed by now.