Long stay multi entry.

Time to bite the bullet and get one of these. Have been coming to los for 10years on and off using visa exempts and tourist visas. However last 2times i have been asked my reasons. Usually come 4-5times a year now i am retired in oz. 

From reading forum the above visa is good for 1year from start date of visa and any re entry will extend visa for a year giving up to 2 years validity. So there is no need for proof of income/funds during this period. The 2nd year if i wish to leave i need a re entry permit costing 1k single or 3.8k multi. At the end of the visa extension i can apply for retirement visa and have to show the 800k or start long stay visa again.and this cost 1.9k baht. Correct? 

What is t30. Is it about advising your address and how often do you need to do it. I own a condo so would i have to keep reporting my address. And what is a certificate of residence good foris it the same as tm30. I have a blue book which came with condo. Is it of any use? 

If you want to enter at some entry points, including Bangkok airports, then they are known to now hassle retired people who come more frequently.  A Tourist Visa involves less likelihood of problems - but things are getting worse.  There is no logical reason for this, other than no kickback-system involved in Tourist Visas.  Once you move to in-country extensions, a percentage will end up using agents, for a considerable fee, shared with immigration (hassle-level differs per local-office)

If you get a "long stay" Non-OA in AU - yes, as you describe - can stretch for 2 yrs. Also correct on the 800K for a 1-year "extension of stay" (not a Visa) obtained in Thailand.  But that 800K needs to be "seasoned" in a Thai bank 2-months before you apply.  One advantage of getting another Non-OA in AU, is avoiding moving money here, or dealing with immigration-offices.

TM-30 policies vary by office.  Your blue-book would be used to show ownership of where you are reporting that you live.  You would report each time you returned from overseas (varies by office - some don't require it if returning to the same address, others fine you if you don't).  No need for a "cert of residence" in relation to a TM-30 report.

Also be aware of 90-Day reporting - only needed if you stay in the country longer than 90-days continuously.  Offices also fine for not filing 90-day reports on-time. This is separate from the TM-30, and the TM-6 (form you fill out when entering the country) - though they all report the same thing - where you live.

Edited by JackThompson

Jdmagpie, assuming that you are going to be in Thailand a few times a year over the next number of years, an OA with a multi re-entry permit in the second year is the way to go.  This means the 800K long stay extension after the first OA will no longer make sense because it will only get you a year whereas a new OA will give you another 2 years at almost the same costs.  You should stick to OA visas for as long as you can until your trips back to oz are infrequent like once every few years.  Only then will that 800K long stay make sense.

• Like 1

re: TM 30 and blue book.

The blue book has the name and address of the apartment that you own, but not your name. Therefore, I am not sure that it can be used as proof of residence. I think you would still need a certificate of residence, issued by Immigration on the basis of a letter from your condo management.

Best would be to obtain a yellow book, which has your name and can be indeed used as a proof of residence. It will come in useful for many purposes not just the TM30.

As for TM30: you will need the proof of residence only when you first register your TM30. Following that, you will just need to update your TM30 each time, which is done with just passport and TM6 (the stamp of last time you entered Thailand).

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Your blue-book would be used to show ownership of where you are reporting that you live. 

Only a Chanute proves ownership, The Blue book is a registration of the address, it does not prove ownership.

I've spent the last, say 40 months using Tourist Visa with month breaks in Australia three times.  I turned 50 last year and have decided to apply for an OA to avoid all the (now I've seen all of SE Asia for visa runs) unnecessary overseas travel.

My Plan:  Get the OA, Single Entry; apply for an extension within 30 days of expiry (after transferring the 800k to a Thai bank after I get the OA and return) and so on.

I flew back to Oz on Sunday (20/01/2019) to go through the OA process after carefully researching all the requirements.  
AFP  criminal record name check, on its way.
Bank Balance - check
Health Certificate - being done today

However the AUSTRALIAN Visa Application indicates I need to furnish an itinerary showing a departure date from Thailand.  Well, you can't book a flight over a year in advance, and in any case, I intended to apply for an extension. 
I rang the embassy in Canberra and you can't speak to anyone, you only get options which give you vanilla script-read recordings.

How did you guys meet that requirement?
Or do I just go to the consulate here in Melbourne and ask them what to do?

16 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

My Plan:  Get the OA, Single Entry;

If you get an OA in Australia, won't this be a multiple and enable 12 month permissions. With a total potential of nearly 2 years stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Oracle said:

Get the OA, Single Entry;

I don't think there is an OA single entry. At least not in the USA

1 hour ago, The Oracle said:

However the AUSTRALIAN Visa Application indicates I need to furnish an itinerary showing a departure date from Thailand. 

I used common sense and wrote n/a. It was in the USA from Washington, DC

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If you get an OA in Australia, won't this be a multiple and enable 12 month permissions. With a total potential of nearly 2 years stay in Thailand.

Sorry, yes.  I don't know.  The information contradicts itself.  On "document required form" form it says OA Visa $275 and on the actual application form itself Multi - Retirement Only $550.  An dit quotes Multiple Entries $275.

My main concern is the "Departure Date" and itinerary requirement.
I may just get all this paperwork together and try to change the type of visa when I'm back next month.

6 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

Sorry, yes.  I don't know.  The information contradicts itself.  On "document required form" form it says OA Visa $275 and on the actual application form itself Multi - Retirement Only $550.  An dit quotes Multiple Entries $275.

On the London Embassy this type of visa says..

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

I suspect Australia will be the same.

59 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

The fee for a OA long stay visa would be $275.

The OX 10 year visa for retirement fee is the one for $550.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:
9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Your blue-book would be used to show ownership of where you are reporting that you live. 

Only a Chanute proves ownership, The Blue book is a registration of the address, it does not prove ownership.

Good point - my bad - the alien's name is not listed in the blue book.  It is increasingly likely these days, that the owner of a condo would be asked for Blue-Book plus Chanote.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Oracle said:

My Plan:  Get the OA, Single Entry; apply for an extension within 30 days of expiry (after transferring the 800k to a Thai bank after I get the OA and return) and so on.

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those who are over 50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission to stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year)

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

If you used it to it's potential, it would be 23 months before you could apply for an extension.

It would be 21 months before you needed to transfer the 800K into a Thai bank.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Oracle said:

My main concern is the "Departure Date" and itinerary requirement.
I may just get all this paperwork together and try to change the type of visa when I'm back next month.

I got my OA from Canberra and because i didn't have a set departure date I got my travel agent to write me up an itinerary for the date i put on the form without buying a ticket and was accepted , I actually flew 2 weeks after this date