SETV questions

I'm going to Thailand in a few months and have some questions about the SETV. I would like to stay in Thailand as long as possible using SETVs. I'm 33 years old but I'm not employed so I don't think I can apply for the METV. I make money on the internet but I don't have my own business. I understand that with the SETV I can stay for 60 days and then extend for 30 days before I have to leave the country, my questions are how many times can I do this if I leave the country and go to Laos or something to make a new SETV? How long do I have to stay outside of Thailand before making a new SETV? Does Immigration require me to have a flight booked to leave the country with an SETV?

Thank you for any information.

It is hard to state how many SETV's you can get at nearby embassies and consulates. You just have to go to different ones to get them once you get the point where you have to many to apply for another one.

Some embassies and consulates in you home country can be for flexible as far as proof of employment or proof you have a business. Some will accept proof you have a regular income by way of tax payments (in the UK it is called a self assessment for example).

There is no set time you to have to be out of the country to apply for another visa. At nearby locations you can apply for one the same day you leave the country.

Immigration does not normally ask to see a a flight out of the country if you have a valid visa for entry to the country. But many embassies and consulates want one to apply for a tourist visa.

Just to add to above advice. I am currently sitting in Saigon airport having cleared pp control. At AirAsia counter I had time to ask staff about airline rules. Few threads have been running about "need for onward flight". The lady was looking carefully through my pp. Anyway I asked if she was looking for my visa. (I have annual extensions retirement). She replied yes. I also asked her ....what if I didn't have one. Her reply...without onward flight we cannot give you boarding pass. Also as ubon mentioned at most consulates you need onward flight to setv

2 hours ago, DougM said:

I understand that with the SETV I can stay for 60 days and then extend for 30 days before I have to leave the country, my questions are how many times can I do this if I leave the country and go to Laos or something to make a new SETV?

There are 2 considerations - Getting the SETVs, and Entering the Country. 

I explain a strategy for maximizing the number of SETVs per-passport, by ordering where you get them, in this response:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1066226-maximum-3-4-setv-s-i-need-some-help/?do=findComment&comment=13534469

But entering the country is a separate issue.  There are "good" (law-abiding), and bad entry-points.  You will not have a problem - even at a bad entry-point - until you accumulate a few months or more "time in-country."  Just be sure to have 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks (not plastic), and a Tourist Visa - every time.

Each immigration office and entry-point in Thailand operates like a separate country, allowed to choose to whether they follow the law, or make up their own laws.  The supervisors at some entry-points belong to a clique within the power-structure who do not believe the published laws are correct, and often deny-entry to those who legally qualify for entry.  They cover their criminal-actions by abusing a legal-reason for denial which does not apply to the visitor in question - usually using a rejection-stamp indicating the visitor cannot afford their stay, even when it is clear this is not true. 

The stated-reason for denial, reported here as told to many (though not stamped in their passports), is a non-existent limit on how much time a person can spend in Thailand as a tourist.  The amount of time stated varies by report - so is being made up on the spot. 

Clearly, those spending more time confer more benefit to the country through more foreign-sourced cash-injections, which help keep Thai businesses profitable and hiring locals.  Entire streets of formerly active businesses have been boarded-up as a direct result of immigration's "crackdowns" on longer-staying expats.  Unfortunately, the clique doing this does not prioritize the interests of Thai citizens over their own agenda. 

The non-law-abiding entry-points include both Bangkok airports, a few other airports, but just one land-border (Poipet/Aranyaprathet).  The good news, is that all other land-borders are currently reported as following the laws as written - so if you enter at those with a Tourist Visa, you will not have a problem.  Some have been doing this for years.

Edited by JackThompson

8 hours ago, elgenon said:

I am not employed (retired) and can get METVs. Just have to show an adequate bank balance. This is in LA.

Good to know - many more USA retirees will be using these, since the embassy-letters are gone. 

But, I am not sure how the OP would make out applying as "retired" at age 33.  It could be worth exploring, though - a large enough min-balance over 6+ months might get over the bar.

I'm in a similar situation and been doing the SETVs for about 2 years.  Listen to JackThompson, he's helped me immensely in the past by answering my questions.  Jack knows his shxt.  And read the post he linked.  It's pretty much what I've been doing and it should work fine for you too.

There are a few concerns I have with how long this method will last.  I think I've read about changes coming up that may cause the new passport trick to stop working at some point.  Something about updating computer systems so immigration will be more aware of your entry history.  And then there is the recent news of immigration and consulates sharing data.  Not sure if that will change things.  I'm foggy on these, perhaps someone could clear this up.

Also concerning is the fact that I got a verbal warning on my last visa run in Savannakhet.  He said "you not come here again!"  When he said that to me, only had 3 SETVs in my passport, and they were all from other consulates (VTE, HCMC, VTE).  Savannakhet is supposed to be the friendliest consulate.  Perhaps this was a one off.  Perhaps he didn't like the way I looked.

18 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Good to know - many more USA retirees will be using these, since the embassy-letters are gone. 

But, I am not sure how the OP would make out applying as "retired" at age 33.  It could be worth exploring, though - a large enough min-balance over 6+ months might get over the bar.

Really, being retired has nothing to do with it. Just letting him know you don't have to be working, just show money in the bank.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, asdfrules said:

Something about updating computer systems so immigration will be more aware of your entry history.  And then there is the recent news of immigration and consulates sharing data.  Not sure if that will change things. 

Immigration already can see all at every entry-point, so no change is needed.  The honest entry-points see the same data the bad entry points do, but do not invent fake-rules to deny-entry based on it.

There was a recent post indicating consulates are going to be connected to this database in some way, and/or the application process will be filtered using that data, before it even goes to the consulate - so could decline apps under some (unknown) set of conditions.   The poster indicated "time in country" would definitely be part of this, to spite this not even being mentioned in the law.

But, I recall doom-predictions in the past from this source, which did not occur.  His contact(s) seem to be hardliners in immigration.  Fortunately, reasonable factions have blocked, or at least tempered, the hardliner's desires until now - and hopefully will continue to do so into the future.

7 hours ago, asdfrules said:

Also concerning is the fact that I got a verbal warning on my last visa run in Savannakhet.  He said "you not come here again!"  When he said that to me, only had 3 SETVs in my passport, and they were all from other consulates (VTE, HCMC, VTE).  Savannakhet is supposed to be the friendliest consulate.  Perhaps this was a one off.  Perhaps he didn't like the way I looked.

Consulates change constantly.  Sometimes the consul changes - sometimes orders from the top change.  A "warning" letter went up at Vientiane recently - but was gone the next week (maybe a suitcase of cash to compensate for declining a portion of the hundreds/day of TR Visas didn't show up).

In any case, I would not use that one for awhile.  You have 3 from Laos, now, and the next in Laos would probably be VTE, and come with a "remark-stamp."

Edited by JackThompson