Do I have to live at the address registered in yellow book

If this post does not belong in this topic, please move it to the appropriate topic. 

I have a few questions about yellow book, Thai pink ID, etc. 

Q1. Do I have to live at the address registred in the yellow book?

I know Thais don't have to and they can be registered in multiple blue books. My GF is regitered in her mother's house in Sisaket, in her condo in Bangkok and her house in Banglamung. I am thinking about getting a yellow book in my GF's house address in Pattaya. Do I have to live at the same address? I already rent a nice condo in Jomtien and don't want to live in my GF's house. I frequently visit Thailand and don't stay here for more than 3/4 months at a stretch. 

Q2. What are some of the benefits of getting a yellow book? Specifically, does it make any immigration procedure easy and hassle free? 

Q3. How do I get a yellow book in Banglamung?

Q4. How do I get a Thai pink ID? 

Q5. What are the benefits of a Thai pink ID? Specifically, does it make any process like opening a bank account, getting a DL, etc. easy and hassle free? 

Edited by onera1961

2 minutes ago, glegolo said:

You live here 3-4 month at most on a yearly basis. You do not need to bother with a house book why should you. That is for us boys living in Thailand. Just relax and live your tourist-life...

2018 was my first year on an O-A visa. The stay period would certainly increase as I grow older. 

52 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I know Thais don't have to and they can be registered in multiple blue books. My GF is regitered in her mother's house in Sisaket, in her condo in Bangkok and her house in Banglamung. I am thinking about getting a yellow book in my GF's house address in Pattaya. Do I have to live at the same address?

You do not have live where the yellow book is for.

Thais can have more than on blue house book but can only be registered as living in one of them.

Plenty of other topics about yellow books and ID cards that can answers the remainder of you questions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

I know Thais don't have to and they can be registered in multiple blue books. My GF is regitered in her mother's house in Sisaket, in her condo in Bangkok and her house in Banglamung. I am thinking about getting a yellow book in my GF's house address in Pattaya. Do I have to live at the same address? I already rent a nice condo in Jomtien and don't want to live in my GF's house. I frequently visit Thailand and don't stay here for more than 3/4 months at a stretch. 

A Thai (if a foreigner is registered in a yellow book this applies to him as well) has to be registered at the address where they live. If they move out they have to report this to the Amphoe within 15 days, same when they move in somewhere else. If somebody moves out and doesn't inform the Amphoe the house master has to do it.

So when your GF moved to a new place she would have had to inform the Amphoe about it. If she didn't do it the house master (probably her father or mother) would have had to do it. Both are offenses according to the law and they could be fined for it. But in reality this law is not enforced, so people often don't update their address.

It's only possible to be registered as resident in one place, afaik this is enforced.

Here it's explained (in Thai):

http://www.bora.dopa.go.th/CallCenter1548/index.php/menu-population/13-service-handbook/population/23-population-house

http://www.bora.dopa.go.th/CallCenter1548/index.php/menu-population/13-service-handbook/population/29-population-add-name

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 12:14 AM, jackdd said:

Thai (if a foreigner is registered in a yellow book this applies to him as well) has to be registered at the address where they live. If they move out they have to report this to the Amphoe within 15 days, same when they move in somewhere else. If somebody moves out and doesn't inform the Amphoe the house master has to do it.

I discussed this issue with my girl friend. This is what she said.

She was registered in her Mother's house since her birth in Sisaket. After she moved to Bangkok, she did not report to anybody. She stayed in dozens of rented places but her address in Sisaket stayed the the same so also her address in Thai IDs. 

After that she bought the condo and and changed her address to the condo address and got a new ID with condo address. No need to report to Sisaket about her address change. She says Amphoe took care of that.

Then she rented the condo again after living there for one year but never changed her address. Though she got a few new Thai IDs using the same condo address while living in rented places in Bangkok. 

After she bought the house in Pattaya and started living there, she did not change her address or ID. I asked why? Her reply was the picture in her ID looks suai and she does not want to change. 

Unfortunately, she lost her ID again last Sunday. Now she says, she have a choice to go to Bangkok to get a new ID using her condo address or she can get a new ID using her Pattya home address. As of this writing she does not have an ID and still thinking what she would do. 

Edited by onera1961

7 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I discussed this issue with my girl friend. This is what she said.

She was registered in her Mother's house since her birth in Sisaket. After she moved to Bangkok, she did not report to anybody. She stayed in dozens of rented places but her address in Sisaket stayed the the same so also her address in Thai IDs. 

After that she bought the condo and and changed her address to the condo address and got a new ID with condo address. No need to report to Sisaket about her address change. She says Amphoe took care of that.

Then she rented the condo again after living there for one year but never changed her address. Though she got a few new Thai IDs using the same condo address while living in rented places in Bangkok. 

After she bought the house in Pattaya and started living there, she did not change her address or ID. I asked why? Her reply was the picture in her ID looks suai and she does not want to change. 

Unfortunately, she lost her ID again last Sunday. Now she says, she have a choice to go to Bangkok to get a new ID using her condo address or she can get a new ID using her Pattya home address. As of this writing she doe not have an ID and still thinking what she would do. 

I think everybody here knows that Thais don't care about laws, especially if they are not enforced (in case they are not enforced at all, like this law, we foreigners can even understand them)

My ex GF got a new Thai id card in Bangkok using her Chiang Rai address, so probably your GF can get a new id card in Pattaya without changing her address

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I think everybody here knows that Thais don't care about laws,

Sometimes laws are inconvenient also. How inconvenient it will be if every time one moves, they have to report in their own country. Like there is no freedom of movement in their own lands.

Edited by onera1961

My yellow book is an address in Bangkok, where I haven't lived for 15 years. My pink card is in Khon Kaen.

The only reason I got my yellow book was to get Thai citizenship. If not for that I wouldn't get it, as I never need it. That pink foreigner ID is not needed also.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

My ex GF got a new Thai id card in Bangkok using her Chiang Rai address, so probably your GF can get a new id card in Pattaya without changing her address

Our really isn't a big deal where your blue book is.

20 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Sometimes laws are inconvenient also. How inconvenient it will be if every time one moves, they have to report in their own country. Like there is no freedom of movement in their own lands.

I think in most countries you have to report when you move (in Germany you do), that's not limited to Thailand, this is required to achieve a correct distribution of goverment funds for social services, streets, and so on.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

I think in most countries you have to report when you move (in Germany you do), that's not limited to Thailand, this is required to achieve a correct distribution of goverment funds for social services, streets, and so on.

Indeed. Also, even in countries like Australia (and probably nearly every other country) you have to report to the Land Transport Authority (or whatever the equivalent in your country is called) to change your address on your driver's license, your bank and any other business/government authority so they know where you live.

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

I think in most countries you have to report when you move (in Germany you do), that's not limited to Thailand, this is required to achieve a correct distribution of government funds for social services, streets, and so on.

Yes, if you want to avail government benefits (like health insurance, unemployment etc.), may be that law makes sense. Otherwise, it is a farce. 

2 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Indeed. Also, even in countries like Australia (and probably nearly every other country) you have to report to the Land Transport Authority (or whatever the equivalent in your country is called) to change your address on your driver's license,

For driver's license a proof of address (like utility bill, or rental contract) will be sufficient as In the USA, I think. Otherwise, it's a violation of citizens' privacy, according to me. If I were citizens of those countries, I would never report. What are they going to do? Fine me? Put me in Jail? 

Edited by onera1961

Yellow Book:

1. Helps for nothing what is visa related. Still the Black Book is needed which e.g. your wife has if you live in a house. I still take it with me to the immigration. 

2. Yellow Book can help you to get a Thai price at an entrance, but to be honest you don't take it with you when you go on trips.

3. I didn't find any use-case for it so far, but it was pretty hard to get (papers, translations etc pp). I hope they will make use of it.. as they check you in the police database and the whole background check took at my Amphore 4-6 weeks. 

Would I do it again? Nah I don't think so as the paperwork was quite a lot and costs some money for translations. 

Thai Pink ID ... I didn't do it yet as no one really told me a plausible reason todo it. The Thai Driver License is great so as I have that one I don't need a Pink ID.

• Like 1