Trump seeks to move ahead with big speech despite Pelosi shutdown concerns

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trump retreats as Pelosi blocks his move to give State of the Union address in House during shutdown

President Trump made a rare public retreat Wednesday after trying to defy Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s request that he delay delivering his State of the Union address in the House next week until the government is reopened.

Trump began the day on offense, sending Pelosi a letter saying he intended to give the nationally televised speech “on location” as planned, despite her recommendation...

...But after a brief stare-down, Trump blinked.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-sotu-letter-20190123-story.html

Trump must be boiling, he has been blocked in every attempt to use his heralded "art of the deal" and it's been blocked by Nancy Pelosi, a woman!   You could here it in his voice when he announced that Pelosi told him that he was not welcome in her "house" on the 29th.

Trump's strategy of "walling off" himself from 66% of the voting public is in full swing. His latest polling numbers show he is a winning champion as usual with 33% of the naive, his stalwart base.

I just keep shaking my head in amazement and dismay at this polarizing pretender of a leader.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-disapproval-grows-shutdown-drags-onward-225159693.html

His state of the union speech should be scheduled at a giant town hall attended by all of the federal and non federal workers that are not getting paychecks and owners of the small businesses that are failing.  I'm sure that we would instantly know the real state of the union! 

But he really wouldn't/doesn't give a crap of what he is doing to people's lives.  The administration is now asking the closed agencies to give them a plan of what programs would be affected if this shutdown lasted into April.  Let's see, all airports closed because ATC and TSA workers have gone home, no border patrol as trey are being paid to stock shelves in food banks, no prison guards, no FBI, no Secret Service , on and on.  Trump doesn't have an inkling if it took 10 inklings to make a clue and doesn't care!

I think Trump should hold his state of the union at Mount Rushmore. Remember he said he belongs on Rushmore as he's the greatest US President in history.

Or, maybe he should just hold the speech in front of this newly commissioned drawing that shows how he will be depicted on Rushmore in the history of great Presidents.

chtfanmoage-cimes-re-breet-chattanooga-t

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Trump retreats as Pelosi blocks his move to give State of the Union address in House during shutdown

President Trump made a rare public retreat Wednesday after trying to defy Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s request that he delay delivering his State of the Union address in the House next week until the government is reopened.

Trump began the day on offense, sending Pelosi a letter saying he intended to give the nationally televised speech “on location” as planned, despite her recommendation...

...But after a brief stare-down, Trump blinked.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-sotu-letter-20190123-story.html

In other words, Trump got btch-slapped by Ms. Pelosi.  In front of the world.  How embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, keemapoot said:

Trump's strategy of "walling off" himself from 66% of the voting public is in full swing. His latest polling numbers show he is a winning champion as usual with 33% of the naive, his stalwart base.

The percentage of naive American voters represented within his stalwart base is likely to be as close to 100% as it can possibly get. 

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

In other words, Trump got btch-slapped by Ms. Pelosi.  In front of the world.  How embarrassing. 

Would there be any connection to the treatment she received while on her way to Afghanistan?

Trump just tweeted that he will do the address after the shutdown and that he is not looking for an alternate venue for the speech next week.  He must have fallen asleep and Ivanka tweeted it out, it doesn't sound like him, backing down to a woman!  Or, maybe but I doubt it, he has realized that he has met his match and has really backed himself into a corner regarding funding for his "wall"!  He is looking for an alternate avenue where he can try to attempt to "steal" funds to build the wall but I think that it will end up in court as a violation of the anti-deficiency act.

8 minutes ago, samran said:

Maybe he can do it down at Mar-alago or whatever it is called. He can give the speech surrounded my pink flamingos and portraits of himself. 

And being served horderves by all of the illegals that are employed there?

12 minutes ago, DM07 said:

That would improve the "state of the union" in an instant!

Just tell him that his approval rating will skyrocket and the audience will start yelling and cheering and he might consider it!

5 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I wonder why congressmen get their paychecks. I suppose that dept isn't exposed to shutdowns. 

It's a good thing that's the case. If it weren't would give any President a huge advantage. At least over Congress members who weren't independently wealthy.

4 hours ago, goferman said:

One has to wonder if this surrender is another example of Trump doing an end run around his advisors while shooting himself in the foot again ... 

https://www.msnbc.com/11th-hour/watch/trump-now-says-he-ll-give-state-of-the-union-after-shutdown-ends-1430991427529?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

Or he has surrendered to the advice of his advisors.

Even his new name for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi - "Nancy" - shows a surrender.

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not sure what Fox News has to do with it, just passing along what was on Yahoo news page.

So he doesn't get invited, in other words, he is not welcome, and you word that as 'he has decided to postpone'. In a sense you're right, he could have gone elsewhere, but for all reasonable readers: no.

17 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not sure what Fox News has to do with it, just passing along what was on Yahoo news page.

I tracked down that news article. Here's a paragraph from it:

"A strong majority of Americans blame Trump for the record-long government shutdown and reject his primary rationale for a border wall, according to a new poll that shows the turmoil in Washington is dragging his approval rating to its lowest level in more than a year."

https://news.yahoo.com/shutdown-today-candy-walkout-president-230739843--politics.html;_ylt=AwrXgSIsvUlcNEwAZxbQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTEyaWw0MGZtBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjY5NDZfMQRzZWMDc3I-

Archived