Proving Flights for Tourist Visa

Hello - I'd like to ask some advice from you experienced folks. Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance given. 

I'd like to apply for a 60 day tourist visa in Hanoi Vietnam. 

However, I am running into difficulty with 'proving' my return flights. I have a reservation with Emirates to the UK 54 days after I wish to enter Thailand. However my only proof of this is: Invoice showing flights from the travel company, an e ticket showing the flight from the travel agency, and a booking confirmation itinerary from the travel agency. 

I know I could get the 30 day visa free and extend. However, this does not give me the flexibility I want. I may go home sooner if I want, similarly I may change my flight to later if there is no work for me immediately (I am a self-employed contractor).

Crucially I do not have a boarding pass or a ticket from the Airline yet. This is because I cannot get this until 72 hours before my flight. I am therefore unsure how I go about proving my flight. I cannot see the Thai authorities accepting a third party invoice for a flight back home. However I do not know a lot about this. 

Also in terms of showing funds - I understand I need to prove I have £20k. This isn't really a problem - but no single account has more than £8k in it. I spread my money around in investments etc. So would they be happy with my showing them a collection of ISA statments, and a current account? My current account has about £6k in it. But I was planning on using my credit card anyway as I get a far superior exchange rate and no fees. 

Again thanks in advance for any advice given. I have zero intention of working or breaking any rules. But this process is worrying my slightly. If I get it wrong I will simply get the 30 days - but I would be much happier with a 60-day tourist Visa. 

Regards

Sam 

1 hour ago, sammym said:

an e ticket showing the flight from the travel agency, and a booking confirmation itinerary from the travel agency. 

Yes, e-ticket is valid 

1 hour ago, sammym said:

Crucially I do not have a boarding pass or a ticket from the Airline yet.

Nobody requires a boarding pass for applying for a tourist visa

1 hour ago, sammym said:

I understand I need to prove I have £20k.

How do you come up with this number? You may be asked to show 20K baht cash (or equivalent in foreign currency) when entering Thailand. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Yes, e-ticket is valid 

Nobody requires a boarding pass for applying for a tourist visa

How do you come up with this number? You may be asked to show 20K baht cash (or equivalent in foreign currency) when entering Thailand. 

Many thanks. 

I got to that figure my skim reading the website and seeing 20k only. I did seem like a high barrier to entry. 20k Baht is much easier. I have about 8k Baht in cash from my last visit and a couple of hundred US dollars in Cash. I can withdraw some more cash if really required to prove I have enough money. 

I shall use the e-ticket and see what they say. If they want they can always check with the travel agency. And worst case I have to enter on a 30-day exemption. 

2 hours ago, sammym said:

Crucially I do not have a boarding pass or a ticket from the Airline yet

What you have is more than enough.

Tickets are a thing of the past, boarding passes are either obtained at the airport or maybe printed after on-line check-in close to the flight time.

£20k

No, 20,000 baht either in equivalent cash or travelers checks. 

No worries, you will be fine. 

3 hours ago, sammym said:

Also in terms of showing funds - I understand I need to prove I have £20k

As others have stated, you just might need 20,000 baht equivalent in cash to show immigration when entering Thailand. However, cash is not acceptable financial proof for the visa application. For the visa application, you need to have copies of recent bank statements (or equivalent). The minimum balance is probably about 20,000 baht equivalent, but I tend to ensure there is US$ 1,000.

It is irritating that the financial proof at the embassy is different from that required by immigration. It is not a big problem, though, as long as you are aware.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billp said:

You have to show bank statements for a single-entry tourist visa??? I’ve never had to do that, including just last week in Berlin.

Berlin is not Hanoi. Different embassy different rules. The embassies and consulates near Thailand are more likely to require proof of funds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Berlin is not Hanoi. Different embassy different rules. The embassies and consulates near Thailand are more likely to require proof of funds.

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

L.A. also requires bank statement for SETV. Just got one.