Problem opening a Bank Account - Work this one out if you can!

Went in to Bangkok Bank today to try to open an account.  I am on an Extension of Stay, all the right stamps.  Had proof of residency, but not a Certificate of Residency from Immigration.  Lady in the Bank said that I needed a Certificate of Residency from Immigration. Went to Immigration and they said that I needed a letter from the bank requesting a  CoR.  Went back to the bank and they said I need a Certificate of Residency before they could write any letters to immigration, as I am not yet a customer , so........... I went to Tesco and bought a bottle of Brandy to bring home.  

Anyone have any idea what planet I have unknowingly landed on and how to speak to the aliens who live here?????? 

• Like 2

which office was that because it all differs from place to place but you have extension of stay and proof of residency thus immigration is the one that should provide the certificate of residency it's their obligation vs 100 baht fee, you will need that to open the bank account and not the other way around

10 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

which office was that because it all differs from place to place but you have extension of stay and proof of residency thus immigration is the one that should provide the certificate of residency it's their obligation vs 100 baht fee, you will need that to open the bank account and not the other way around

Jomtien and the Bangkok Bank was the one opposite the market,  just around the corner. Yep, I agree, but the IO just wouldn't listen.  

43 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Jomtien and the Bangkok Bank was the one opposite the market,  just around the corner. Yep, I agree, but the IO just wouldn't listen.  

tell him you need the CoR for a drivers license, see what the answer is, if my recollection is good, the IMO site says they will give/provide CoR for other steps

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

tell him you need the CoR for a drivers license, see what the answer is, if my recollection is good, the IMO site says they will give/provide CoR for other steps

That was going to be my next move.  many thanks 

The natives here are very trying at most of the times any ones in uniform are best avoided, the more scrambled egg and parachute wings the more they need to treated with utmost care and greeted by shouting "Hey you native....."

That hint for endearing yourself to them aside,

Try a different bank or branch

Edited by poohy

45 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Buy another bottle of Brandy, and keep your money under the mattress.

regards Worgeordie

Unfortunately, as of now, the Aliens concerned will not accept 'mattress money' for extensions of stay. 

22 hours ago, Mavideol said:

let us know if all went as expected

I binned the C of R idea and, taking the advice from many on this forum, I went into another bank and branch. Absolutely no problem at all.  Done and finished within 30 minutes and all they wanted was my passport, showing an extension of stay. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I binned the C of R idea and, taking the advice from many on this forum, I went into another bank and branch. Absolutely no problem at all.  Done and finished within 30 minutes and all they wanted was my passport, showing an extension of stay. 

great news, glad things worked out, have a good one

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Good!  May we know which bank and branch?

Thanks.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, Mavideol said:

immigration is the one that should provide the certificate of residency it's their obligation vs 100 baht fee,

There is no fee. The certificate is entirely free of charge. Any money paid is a tip/bribe as you will NEVER get a receipt for it.

Again this mania with using Bangkok Bang. Whatever for? They have the lowest interest rates and dont even make it easy to open an account, as can be seen from many posts on the same subject.

Why not just use Krungsri who are much more helpful and offer savings accounts that pay reasonable interest?

• Like 1