If I'm gone for 8 months, will my O visa expire?

5 hours ago, wealthychef said:

I still maintain that my question was well enough specified

But in your OP you specifically referred to a Non-immigrant O visa expiring.

As far as I am concerned a Non-immigrant O visa is one of these:

image.png.72d6d3e238f8d2fd56841854614bdc02.png

and not one of these:

image.png

In exactly the same way as one of these:

Image result for apple images

is not one of these:

Image result for orange images

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Is it not correct to say the visa is extended by the extension of stay documentation. To say someone is staying as an alien without a visa doesn't seem right to me. I'm not sure as I'm a few years away from retirement. 

Visas are never expended. Only the permission-to-stay obtained from a Visa or Visa-exempt entry can be extended. A Visa once used or past its use-by date is of no further use. 

3 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Visas are never expended. Only the permission-to-stay obtained from a Visa or Visa-exempt entry can be extended. A Visa once used or past its use-by date is of no further use. 

Thanks. Do you know why this terminology/method is used for allowing retirees to stay long term. Any reason why a document titled visa could not be used each year?

They both pretty much take up a page in a passport.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:45 PM, wealthychef said:

Ugh, I forgot about the whole "it's not a visa, it's an extension of stay" pedagogues.  I am talking about extending permission to stay, sorry if I misspoke.  And I have a multiple-reentry permit valid for a year, sorry for not mentioning that.  I'm just wondering if there is some requirement to re-enter Thailand to maintain my permission to stay and re-entry permit, or if for some peculiar Thai reason it gets erased after I've left for say 8 months.  

Thanks.  

If you have a reentry permit, then you can leave for 8 months, no problem.

9 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Thanks. Do you know why this terminology/method is used for allowing retirees to stay long term. Any reason why a document titled visa could not be used each year?

They both pretty much take up a page in a passport.

Only a Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate allows entry to the country. An extension of stay does not allow entry unless accompanied by a re-entry permit both of which can only be obtained in-country from the Thai immigration service.

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

Be thankful that TI is micro managing your life here. ????

1 hour ago, Christophers200 said:

Only a Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate allows entry to the country. An extension of stay does not allow entry unless accompanied by a re-entry permit both of which can only be obtained in-country from the Thai immigration service.

I don't see the fuss over having just labelled it as a multi entry retirement visa that is renewed each year. I've obtained a b type visa while in thailand and I get multiple entries on my METV.

Any other reasons why it is important to rename this process as an extension.

It is what it is seems the best reasoning.

4 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I don't see the fuss over having just labelled it as a multi entry retirement visa that is renewed each year. I've obtained a b type visa while in thailand and I get multiple entries on my METV.

Any other reasons why it is important to rename this process as an extension.

It is what it is seems the best reasoning.

You obtained a B visa with a stack of paperwork which was immediately stamped "USED" and gave a 90-day stay - If you remained longer you had to apply for an extension of stay. A METV is a multi-entry visa which gives 60-day entries whilst valid.  I am done now the system is what it is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rott said:

You need to learn to say what you mean so that there can be no misunderstanding, and not sneer at people trying to help.

Was I sneering?  I think that by refusing to listen charitably, you come across as unhelpful and sneering yourself.  As I've said multiple times in this thread, I appreciate the help.  Anyhow, if you are going to start a fight, I'm gone, thanks.