If I'm gone for 8 months, will my O visa expire?

I'm planning on being out of LOS for 8 months.  Will my Non-immigrant O visa expire if I'm out of the country for this amount of time?  

I will renew it Feb 27 before I leave, leave in April, and return in December.  

Thanks!  

Edited by wealthychef

If you have an unexpired visa, it expires on the date indicated on the visa sticker. You can use it to enter Thailand up until that date.

If you have a permission to stay in Thailand (whether or not you have an extension of permission to stay) and you purchase a re-entry permit, the permission to stay remains valid until the Admitted Until date of the permission to stay.

Being outside the US has no effect on the expiry dates of either visas or permissions to stay.

Visas cannot be renewed. If you have an extension of stay(obtained from an immigration office) and a re-entry permit you will be admitted until the expiry date noted on your extension of stay and the re-entry permit. WITHOUT a re-entry permit you will only be given a 30-day visa exempt entry.

• Like 2

Ugh, I forgot about the whole "it's not a visa, it's an extension of stay" pedagogues.  I am talking about extending permission to stay, sorry if I misspoke.  And I have a multiple-reentry permit valid for a year, sorry for not mentioning that.  I'm just wondering if there is some requirement to re-enter Thailand to maintain my permission to stay and re-entry permit, or if for some peculiar Thai reason it gets erased after I've left for say 8 months.  

Thanks.  

When you renew your extension in February, your multiple re-entry permit will automatically become invalid.

You will need to get a new one before you leave in April. It may be easiest to either get it on the same day you renew your extension in February in the Immigration Office (different desk) or get it at the airport when you leave in April. The cost is 3800 Baht.

17 hours ago, wealthychef said:

And I have a multiple-reentry permit valid for a year, sorry for not mentioning that

Assuming you got the multi-entry re-entry permit  AFTER you got the most recent extension, the expiry dates for both the extension and the re-entry permit should be the same. As long as you return before they expire, you're good. There's no requirement that you spend a certain amount of time in Thailand... just that you're here to renew before they expire.

Edited by Suradit69

On 1/25/2019 at 10:56 AM, Briggsy said:

I will renew it Feb 27 before I leave,

OK. So long as he GETS the re-entry permit AFTER he renews the extension, he's good to go.

He said he has a multi entry re-entry permit good for a year, but once he renews his extension, he will need a new re-entry permit that will expire when the new extension expires. The old re-entry permit cannot still be good for a year from now if his current extension expires in February or March.

A re-entry permit is tied to the current extension.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:22 AM, Suradit69 said:

OK. So long as he GETS the re-entry permit AFTER he renews the extension, he's good to go.

He said he has a multi entry re-entry permit good for a year, but once he renews his extension, he will need a new re-entry permit that will expire when the new extension expires. The old re-entry permit cannot still be good for a year from now if his current extension expires in February or March.

A re-entry permit is tied to the current extension.

I have a retirement visa dated 10th Dec 2018 but will not be entering Thailand until 30th Jan 2019.  Will i lose one month of my time to stay  or does my time start from the day i enter Thailand.

41 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I have a retirement visa dated 10th Dec 2018 but will not be entering Thailand until 30th Jan 2019.  Will i lose one month of my time to stay  or does my time start from the day i enter Thailand.

Entering with a valid 'O' visa will provide for a 90-day stay, day one being the day of entry.

10 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I have a retirement visa dated 10th Dec 2018 but will not be entering Thailand until 30th Jan 2019. 

People call so many visas and extensions of stay a retirement visa you need to tell us what exactly you have. What category of visa do you have?

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 8:37 AM, cnx355 said:

Sure, if you are not using the correct terms and ask a question, forum members can not give you the correct answer.  People want to help and not give am answer that will confuse.

And yet someone managed to give me an answer at the same time, almost as if by magic, by using a bit of common sense.  :-). Thanks for the help folks!  I appreciate it.  

12 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

No, it's one year from the date it was issued, but as always, if you do an out/in border hop just before it expires you'll get a new full one year permission to stay. But during that year's permission to stay, once the visa has expired,  you will need a re-entry permit for any trips out of Thailand if you plan to return.

2 hours ago, wealthychef said:

And yet someone managed to give me an answer at the same time, almost as if by magic, by using a bit of common sense.  :-). Thanks for the help folks!  I appreciate it.  

And yet you might get a variety of answers, depending on how your request is interpreted, which compounds the confusion ... as in this case

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

People call so many visas and extensions of stay a retirement visa you need to tell us what exactly you have. What category of visa do you have?

Just now, Suradit69 said:

And yet you might get a variety of answers, depending on how your request is interpreted, which compounds the confusion ... as in this case

It's true, but I still maintain that my question was well enough specified that you could have answered my question with the caveat that of course I'm technically not extending my visa, but rather my permission to stay.  Have you ever heard anyone talk about extending their visa that did not actually mean they just want to stay in Thailand longer?  I'm just saying all your pedantic guys out there need to loosen up, this is the Land of Smiles, not the Land of Lawyers, thank god.  ????

42 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

It's true, but I still maintain that my question was well enough specified that you could have answered my question with the caveat that of course I'm technically not extending my visa, but rather my permission to stay.  Have you ever heard anyone talk about extending their visa that did not actually mean they just want to stay in Thailand longer?  I'm just saying all your pedantic guys out there need to loosen up, this is the Land of Smiles, not the Land of Lawyers, thank god.  ????

Quite often the distinction may be immaterial, but in some cases there are significant differences between the two when posing a question. It can be more than a technicality.

in any event, if you understand the difference, what would be the reason for purposely not using the correct terminology.

if, for example, someone said he had a retirement visa and asked if he needed a re-entry permit?

Or if someone said he had a Non imm O visa, but the reason for the visa had ended and asked if he had to immediately leave the country?

in both cases, whether you actually had a valid visa or were in the country on a visa entry or if you were here on a extension of stay would matter.

Edited by Suradit69

On 1/24/2019 at 4:45 PM, wealthychef said:

Ugh, I forgot about the whole "it's not a visa, it's an extension of stay" pedagogues.  I am talking about extending permission to stay, sorry if I misspoke.  And I have a multiple-reentry permit valid for a year, sorry for not mentioning that.  I'm just wondering if there is some requirement to re-enter Thailand to maintain my permission to stay and re-entry permit, or if for some peculiar Thai reason it gets erased after I've left for say 8 months.  

Thanks.  

There is no requirement to spend any particular amount of time in Thailand.

As long as you return within the time period your reentry permit is valid for, you are fine.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Quite often the distinction may be immaterial, but in some cases there are significant differences between the two when posing a question. It can be more than a technicality.

in any event, if you understand the difference, what would be the reason for purposely not using the correct terminology.

I agree it can be a very important distinction.  But you should agree that sometimes it is not, and usually you do know what they mean.  I did not "purposely" use the incorrect terminology, and will not unless I know I can annoy you by doing so, just kidding.  But for an example, the correct word you should have used is "purposefully," but I understood what you meant and didn't refuse to answer just because you are not using English correctly.   Zing.  Cheers though and thanks for trying to make the world more correct.  

Edited by wealthychef

On 1/24/2019 at 9:30 AM, wealthychef said:

I'm planning on being out of LOS for 8 months.  Will my Non-immigrant O visa expire if I'm out of the country for this amount of time?  

Impossible to be sure, unless you can provide an expiry date.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:30 AM, wealthychef said:

I will renew it Feb 27 before I leave, leave in April, and return in December.  

Thanks!  

If your visa is still valid you can come back in with it.  Otherwise you will need to apply for a new Non-O visa.

29 minutes ago, farangx said:

Impossible to be sure, unless you can provide an expiry date.

If your visa is still valid you can come back in with it.  Otherwise you will need to apply for a new Non-O visa.

Thank you.  As others have kindly pointed out, what you probably mean is "if you have a valid extension of stay, combined with a re-entry permit, you can come back."   I get it now, thanks

22 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Thank you.  As others have kindly pointed out, what you probably mean is "if you have a valid extension of stay, combined with a re-entry permit, you can come back."   I get it now, thanks

I assumed you don't have an extension hence a new Non-O visa is required.  If you have an extension and it expired while you are away then the re-entry permit does not matter.  It will then be to get another extension before you leave if it is worth not wasting whatever months that will be left of it or a new Non-O visa to come back in.  That is you are using only 4 months of your next extension.

Edited by farangx

1 hour ago, farangx said:

I assumed you don't have an extension hence a new Non-O visa is required.  If you have an extension and it expired while you are away then the re-entry permit does not matter.  It will then be to get another extension before you leave if it is worth not wasting whatever months that will be left of it or a new Non-O visa to come back in.  That is you are using only 4 months of your next extension.

Oh, you thought I was out of the country and had an expired permit.  nope

3 hours ago, wealthychef said:

I agree it can be a very important distinction.  But you should agree that sometimes it is not, and usually you do know what they mean.  I did not "purposely" use the incorrect terminology, and will not unless I know I can annoy you by doing so, just kidding.  But for an example, the correct word you should have used is "purposefully," but I understood what you meant and didn't refuse to answer just because you are not using English correctly.   Zing.  Cheers though and thanks for trying to make the world more correct.  

You need to learn to say what you mean so that there can be no misunderstanding, and not sneer at people trying to help.