Surachai aides’ killings may be linked to security matters: Srivara

snoop1130

Surachai aides’ killings may be linked to security matters: Srivara

By THE NATION

f53a15b4c0ec2995ab3926337aa4186c.jpeg

THE BRUTAL deaths of two anti-monarchy activists, whose bodies were found in the Mekong River recently, could be linked to security matters, but they were not related to politics, Deputy National Police Commissioner Pol General Srivara Ransibrahmanakul said.

Srivara instructed Nakhon Phanom police Pol Captain Chom Churat to bring the case to him on Thursday for review. He said it was unclear if the killings had taken place in Thai territory, he said. 

“I have ordered further investigations into the cases since the two deaths were not caused by natural causes,” Srivara told reporters.

Former communist insurgent Surachai “Saedan” Danwattana-nusorn and his “aides” Chatcharn “Phoochana” Bubphawan and Kraidej “Kasalong” Luelert were apparently living in self-imposed exile in Laos when they went missing in December. 

The bodies of Surachai’s aides were found on December 26 and 27 in the Mekong River, which borders the two countries. Their hands and feet were bound, their faces beaten to a pulp and their organs removed and body cavities stuffed with concrete before the bodies were flung into the river.

Primary examination indicates that this kind of brutal murder was uncommon in Thailand, Srivara said. Given the fact that the Phoochana and Kasalong were allegedly involved in the possession of war weapons, their deaths might be related to security matters, not politics, Srivara said, but declined to elaborate on the difference. 

The police and military had earlier denied any role in the death of the two, as they had lived in exile in a neighbouring country since the military coup in 2014. There was no intelligence report on Surachai’s fate, according to Srivara.

The bodies of his aides were brought to the Institute of Forensic Medicine at the Police Hospital in the capital. The bodies will be handed over to their relatives only after the re-examination process is finished, another police officer said.

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-24

2 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I can't believe how often police in charge of high profile cases make ridiculous statements, before they actually know anything significant about the case. To discount the possibility of it being politically motivated, even though they were both political activists is though, one of the most stupid statements I have ever read.

It absolutely screams out that they were murdered for exactly those reasons, and that a cover up is well and truly underway. If he had a brain, and didn't want to reveal what they intend to do, he would of course state that they were not ruling out anything. To do otherwise is plain dumb.

He has to say what he says. Don't take things at face value.

10 hours ago, bannork said:

He has to say what he says. Don't take things at face value.

You are both right. The statement was absurd (and I"m sure the speaker didn't believe a word of it) and at the same time in the official Thai context, something like that needed to be said.

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I can't believe how often police in charge of high profile cases make ridiculous statements, before they actually know anything significant about the case. To discount the possibility of it being politically motivated, even though they were both political activists is though, one of the most stupid statements I have ever read.

It absolutely screams out that they were murdered for exactly those reasons, and that a cover up is well and truly underway. If he had a brain, and didn't want to reveal what they intend to do, he would of course state that they were not ruling out anything. To do otherwise is plain dumb.

Step 2, nab a couple of young penniless migrant workers and blame it on them. Torture a confession out of them. No need for motive, or any evidence whatsoever. Sue anybody that talks about the case. Job done. Tried and tested - worked a charm.

There was a spate of extrajudicial killings over the last few years. Mor Yong was probably the highest profile. I can't help but wonder about a possible connection.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Talk about putting your foot in your mouth, they seem to be great at it. Same as always discounting politics or when it suits them telling something is political when it is not.

Let them investigate first and then say something but like this they show their bias and the outcome looks clear already.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Normal everyday common occurance, in other words - stupid. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Step 2, nab a couple of young penniless migrant workers and blame it on them. Torture a confession out of them. No need for motive, or any evidence whatsoever. Sue anybody that talks about the case. Job done. Tried and tested - worked a charm.

There was a spate of extrajudicial killings over the last few years. Mor Yong was probably the highest profile. I can't help but wonder about a possible connection.

Don't tink too mut. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

were not related to politics, Deputy National Police Commissioner Pol General Srivara Ransibrahmanakul said

Srivara is preempting for the government. Of course when you forestall so clumsily it makes it obvious that the killing would be related to politics and Srivara is just the guy to handle that. 

Deep thinkers they are not.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2019 at 8:29 AM, darksidedog said:

On the other hand trough position can depend on loyalty and any indication someone in power order executions could impact trough position.