For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm staying put.....it's still a beautiful place to live...money is tighter for sure, but I know my very religious wife would not be able to settle in the west. She also has a child here, as do I have a child and a grandson.

It's not heaven but it will do me, and with everything that is going on in my home country I am glad to be out of it.

Downsides are of course Immigration and all that entails and I am very unhappy to see all the election posters up again...perfectly happy with the current pm steering the ship...nobody has died in any political rallies or gatherings as far as I am aware since he took charge, now I am worried that the REDS and YELLOWS will be at it again..if I could vote I would vote for the current PM, he's not perfect, but he keeps order.

I love Thailand, 15 or 16 years since I came, 15 years from now will probably see me in a box at the crem....but I will have had a good life when all is said and done

11 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

I've been here 18 years, have a wife and 2 young sons...I'm at the point now where I want to go back home to Blighty for fresh air, watch football and eat real curries etc amongst many other things....of course far from easy for obvious reasons...I'm 48 and have no desire to grow old living in this oven worrying about visa rules etc, year in year out...

Nothing like a live Premier League game with a few beers!

At the moment i am over in the UK ,where i am its cold and now foggy, not hot like it says in the papers,everything is expensive, your worried every time you park in case you get a bloody 80 quid fine if your not in your box ,cant wait to get back home to my family and the lovely heat , would hate to ever have to come back.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Surely one must ask oneself ......... can I live in comfort in my home country with my assets?

Which is essentially why we are all here (and the warm weather).

Although I'm hoping climate change will fix all the UKs weather problems.

Looks like your wish has come true, I have been basking in the sun for a few days now, typical lobster face and 21 degrees some place yesterday. Unprecedented......

On 1/25/2019 at 10:25 AM, fruitman said:

We're also going to move out....enough is enough.

Many Thai products cost more in BKK than in the West....in the supermarkets...if you like high quality products (like most westerners do) thailand is 2-5 times as expensive as the West....so it's a no brainer for me...leave!

I cannot fathom why anyone would come to live here, then moan about the cost of high quality products. Let us all know when you're flying out......we'll come and wave goodbye. 

If I was not ill and still invested personally and financially, I would pack up tomorrow. I have traveled a few times the last few years and was amazed about the high standards, friendliness, valu, great and clean environment and cultures of various countries I went back to, after 25 years TH. 

Should have left 10 years ago. Now not sure I got the strength to pull it off. MS>

Occasionally i travel to work in western coutries and tbh i feel uncomfortable, so many rules.....

For all it's warts i feel comfortable here, depending on where you live it's incredibly safe.

Don't care if the locals hate me, i also want nothing to do with them.

21 hours ago, Always curious said:

To Stanleycoin....I live on Soi 6.  It is noisy beyond belief, 24/7, but it seems you only come here for massage

'entertainment' so you don't know what living on Soi 6 is really like.

Yes , thats the only reason i go there.  why would any ex-pat want to live on soi 6

Don't tell me, your an ex-pat bar owner, who's done all his money and is stuck there

now  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :giggle:

1 hour ago, moonseeker said:

If I was not ill and still invested personally and financially, I would pack up tomorrow. I have traveled a few times the last few years and was amazed about the high standards, friendliness, valu, great and clean environment and cultures of various countries I went back to, after 25 years TH. 

Should have left 10 years ago. Now not sure I got the strength to pull it off. MS>

What countries are you referring to and are they in South East Asia? 

The truth is that changes are happening everywhere all the time. The constant and often unexpected visa rule changes are annoying and someone really ought to streamline the process, but, for those who are moving away or going back I would say this, you see only the bad here and the good elsewhere, when you arrive at your new destination you might it was not what you thought it was or remembered it to be. For those heading for Europe the freedom of movement and the influx of migrants/refugees etc from other parts of the world have changed countries and communities from what they were, some capitals are now 50% populated by foreigners many of whom don't speak the language and many don't want to either, they want to turn their new country into a new version of the place they have come from.

When I first came here and thought this might be a good option to retire to I came several times afterwards to see if I was seeing the same things, how the country worked and could I fit in, pros and cons etc and if any of you are thinking of upping sticks then I would advise you to do the same you know what they say about the grass always looks greener.

You can't cherry pick, there are always going to be things that annoy you wherever you are, the important thing is to be happy where you are so the first question is are you happy? If you are not why is that and what are you or can you do about it? It maybe that moving to another part of Thailand is the answer.

3 hours ago, nong38 said:

The truth is that changes are happening everywhere all the time. The constant and often unexpected visa rule changes are annoying and someone really ought to streamline the process, but, for those who are moving away or going back I would say this, you see only the bad here and the good elsewhere, when you arrive at your new destination you might it was not what you thought it was or remembered it to be. For those heading for Europe the freedom of movement and the influx of migrants/refugees etc from other parts of the world have changed countries and communities from what they were, some capitals are now 50% populated by foreigners many of whom don't speak the language and many don't want to either, they want to turn their new country into a new version of the place they have come from.

When I first came here and thought this might be a good option to retire to I came several times afterwards to see if I was seeing the same things, how the country worked and could I fit in, pros and cons etc and if any of you are thinking of upping sticks then I would advise you to do the same you know what they say about the grass always looks greener.

You can't cherry pick, there are always going to be things that annoy you wherever you are, the important thing is to be happy where you are so the first question is are you happy? If you are not why is that and what are you or can you do about it? It maybe that moving to another part of Thailand is the answer.

Fully agreed on the overdose of Arab immigrants we got in Europe, demographics have changed a lot. We'd be looking to rural Portugal or Spain not the European major cities, those are for the "new" Europeans. At the end of the day it is as you say, the grass always looks greener but is it really? However, I think after 20+ years here which is basically a part of your life I don't mind risking it and see where it takes us. We lived in several places, mostly the south and don't regret a thing hence why we are still giving it thought. But even my Thai wife seems to grow more and more to dislike the way things go in Thailand. And as I mentioned before, if you choose to eat western food, decent steaks, cheeses, wines, life here is not cheap. Sure I eat Thai food, once per day, can eat it all, been there, done that it is not about being able to eat Thai or not it is more about what you as a person want for yourself. Basically before Thailand with its B quality it offers it was ok since prices were not expensive, nowadays they want top price for their B quality shit. I bought/sold lived in several houses, ranging from 2.5 million to 6 million baht, all were pretty poor workmanship. Eventually, you just get fed up dealing with B quality and amateurs in all they do. I understand it feels different for guys who have been here 2 3 or even 5 years, hence why I seldom talk about it. Most after 10+ years understand that it doesn't really get much better. Well, most understand it quickly but hope that it will improve, it doesn't really. Workmanship stays poor, overall responsibility nada, politics, same old. I can tell you know how the coming years will look. Party A wins, Party B takes to the streets, re-elections, party B wins, party A takes to do the streets, army steps in, years go by. Rinse and repeat! Then for the ones I read about who think that visas will get easier, it has only gotten more difficult and that is not going to change. Thailand will be Thailand, yet the Thais have lost their role model they respected and looked up to. Also, this is noticeable in Thai society, overall respect towards others has seriously declined. 

5 hours ago, rodney earl said:

After living here for about 12 years I am going to go back to my home country soon. I am soo tired of all of the b s with visas/women/farang price and a lot of other things. It is time for a change and I am really looking forward to it.!!!

Browsing through the posts here many leavers seem to be in the 12-15y bracket, ie. they arrived 2004-2007. I'm in it as well. I think we only got 3-6 good years, the downhill turned steeper around 2010.

Since then it's been hoping for things to get better but no, just worse. Time to call it quits.

1 hour ago, likewise said:

Fully agreed on the overdose of Arab immigrants we got in Europe, demographics have changed a lot. We'd be looking to rural Portugal or Spain not the European major cities, those are for the "new" Europeans. At the end of the day it is as you say, the grass always looks greener but is it really? However, I think after 20+ years here which is basically a part of your life I don't mind risking it and see where it takes us. We lived in several places, mostly the south and don't regret a thing hence why we are still giving it thought. But even my Thai wife seems to grow more and more to dislike the way things go in Thailand. And as I mentioned before, if you choose to eat western food, decent steaks, cheeses, wines, life here is not cheap. Sure I eat Thai food, once per day, can eat it all, been there, done that it is not about being able to eat Thai or not it is more about what you as a person want for yourself. Basically before Thailand with its B quality it offers it was ok since prices were not expensive, nowadays they want top price for their B quality shit. I bought/sold lived in several houses, ranging from 2.5 million to 6 million baht, all were pretty poor workmanship. Eventually, you just get fed up dealing with B quality and amateurs in all they do. I understand it feels different for guys who have been here 2 3 or even 5 years, hence why I seldom talk about it. Most after 10+ years understand that it doesn't really get much better. Well, most understand it quickly but hope that it will improve, it doesn't really. Workmanship stays poor, overall responsibility nada, politics, same old. I can tell you know how the coming years will look. Party A wins, Party B takes to the streets, re-elections, party B wins, party A takes to do the streets, army steps in, years go by. Rinse and repeat! Then for the ones I read about who think that visas will get easier, it has only gotten more difficult and that is not going to change. Thailand will be Thailand, yet the Thais have lost their role model they respected and looked up to. Also, this is noticeable in Thai society, overall respect towards others has seriously declined. 

I don't know about Spain, but in northern Europe you cannot escape the changing demographics by moving to the countryside. Every single small town is now populated by these newcomers from the Middle East and Africa. It has changed beyond recognition. So I am actually considering moving back to Thailand.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Surely one must ask oneself ......... can I live in comfort in my home country with my assets?

Which is essentially why we are all here (and the warm weather).

Although I'm hoping climate change will fix all the UKs weather problems.

Maybe the warm weather makes the whingers hyperactive! They should freeze in the cold and foggy environment - after all, that's where they were bred...

3 hours ago, likewise said:

Its a long boring post. But, dont eat shit, stay in your own country and eat your class A.

Absolutely a BS post.

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

me ? gorging on strawberries at the moment,  at 100 baht a kilo (must check if they are fattening) 

Never had any good strawberries in Thailand. Always picked while still green and raw, not sweet and too hard. Even the imported ones seem like made out of plastic, no taste and hard.

Although I must admit I've been spoiled by the utter greatness of Finnish strawberries that have grown in the sandy soil during the short summer.

694093b23297d1ad14c87be6c898e4e9--onni-s

4 hours ago, euroflash said:

I don't know about Spain, but in northern Europe you cannot escape the changing demographics by moving to the countryside. Every single small town is now populated by these newcomers from the Middle East and Africa. It has changed beyond recognition. So I am actually considering moving back to Thailand.

YEs, Sweden is a no go.

4 hours ago, euroflash said:

That's sort of ironic. Would rather be an immigrant (perpetual tourists aka non-immigrant) in Thailand than a native in your own country that's been overrun by immigrants.

Us Northerners should colonize Thailand, they got any viking boats left up there? I had a small giggle at Karon beach around 2012, when I saw a boat flying a Swedish flag and just about every one in vicinity looked Scandi. Ah, the times... I guess it's Indian and Chinese flags now.

27 minutes ago, DLock said:

Too much talking. Not enough leaving.

Just go.

You hate everything about Thailand. You have no money.

Please...stop talking.....just go.

Hate to tell you, but I've made a solemn vow to keep on bugging you stayers long after I'm gone from Thailand. I shall get loads of evil satisfaction from it. Yummy.

5 hours ago, likewise said:

YEs, Sweden is a no go.

HAHAHAHAH if sweden is a no go, then thailand must be hell, stop talking shit, you probably never even stepped your foot in a swedish ''ghetto/no go zone'' what sweden calls no go zones would be a regular area in most countries

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Browsing through the posts here many leavers seem to be in the 12-15y bracket, ie. they arrived 2004-2007. I'm in it as well. I think we only got 3-6 good years, the downhill turned steeper around 2010.

Since then it's been hoping for things to get better but no, just worse. Time to call it quits.

Thailand was good to me for a long time. I’ve made a lot of money here. Still make good money here but I’ve hit a time in my life where that’s no longer a priority and the goal is to live somewhere where life gets easier, not more difficult and uncertain, which is exactly what’s happened here.

I used to shake my head in disbelief when I’d see images of Chinese wearing masks in their cities and I’d think what are they thinking, why subject themselves to that? Now, I also wear a mask almost daily here in Thailand. Even when it’s not “burn season” the air quality is usually bad. It’s also unfortunately getting worse with no enforcement of existing laws that could help. This is one more nail in the coffin for me and it took a lot of nails to bring me to the breaking point where I started selling all of my properties. 

When I open TV I scan the headlines looking for the next visa change or ridiculous crackdown that will harm honest people who fall into the cracks or don’t meet whatever the new requirement is. The ground is constantly shifting and that’s simply an uncertainty I no longer want to deal with and won’t deal with.

Archived