For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Never had any good strawberries in Thailand. Always picked while still green and raw, not sweet and too hard. Even the imported ones seem like made out of plastic, no taste and hard.

Although I must admit I've been spoiled by the utter greatness of Finnish strawberries that have grown in the sandy soil during the short summer.

694093b23297d1ad14c87be6c898e4e9--onni-s

I grow strawberries for my personal use (and the wife) Never thought you could do it in the central plains but I do it under tree cover.

Not what the post is about. The economy is thriving, everyone is buying a new car.

Political repression is increasing. I hope this site is secure.

Because Thailand is a clone of China, you have no political input. 

And the government ekes out a little to the populace.

And the snouts are still in the trough.

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Never had any good strawberries in Thailand. Always picked while still green and raw, not sweet and too hard. Even the imported ones seem like made out of plastic, no taste and hard.

Although I must admit I've been spoiled by the utter greatness of Finnish strawberries that have grown in the sandy soil during the short summer.

Imported Japanese strawberries are delicious but about as expensive by weight as gold. Nordic strawberries and other cold weather fruits are perhaps best. 

8 hours ago, DLock said:

Too much talking. Not enough leaving.

Just go.

You hate everything about Thailand. You have no money.

Please...stop talking.....just go.

I hate most things about Thailand, and I have more money than I can spend easily in my remaining years. And I love complaining, too. Since I love to hate the place, I'm planning to stay and complain. 

15 hours ago, DrTuner said:

They are only good for making jam in Thailand.  

14 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

They are only good for making jam in Thailand.  

Disagree I purchased a large bag yesterday for 120 baht from an independent truck and they were surprisingly good maybe not Finnish good but good nonetheless.

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Hate to tell you, but I've made a solemn vow to keep on bugging you stayers long after I'm gone from Thailand. I shall get loads of evil satisfaction from it. Yummy.

It's cool, just knowing you girly whiners are gone, will give me great satisfaction.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:10 PM, bwpage3 said:

Nothing like a live Premier League game with a few beers!

You can do that in Thailand...in fact you can choose pretty much ANY game or team of your choice,

In the UK you are stuck with whatever Sky chooses for you

9 hours ago, ta158 said:

HAHAHAHAH if sweden is a no go, then thailand must be hell, stop talking shit, you probably never even stepped your foot in a swedish ''ghetto/no go zone'' what sweden calls no go zones would be a regular area in most countries

Euh, I did actually visit my old neighbor in Malmo and indeed it was an Islamic shit hole as Brussels and many other euro cities have become. so you can stop talking leftist shit now.

Euh, I did actually visit my old neighbor in Malmo and indeed it was an Islamic shit hole as Brussels and many other euro cities have become. so you can stop talking leftist shit now.

That's a coincidence was talking to a Swedish guy yday, early forties, he lives in Malmo, he's selling up and moving away, reckons it's turned into an Islamic shithole as well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The ones who think it is a money issue are probably on a low budget. If at the age of 48 you still have financial issues I guess you better live in your own country because Thailand will eventually kick the no-money farang out. They're working on it and I'm loving it, actually I used to help in getting them arrested while working an interpreter. Made my day.

Moving would be more expensive than staying so why do some keep on bringing money into it? To my wife and I that is not of the issue.  PRobably the low lifes using visa agents, have been in pattaya for 3 years and know all about Thailand lol are on here telling us how great and better it all is lol. By the way, I see many cannot read, I said. we are thinking about leaving and out come the apologists lol. Bunch of bitches on here who obviously have reading problems.

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I hate most things about Thailand, and I have more money than I can spend easily in my remaining years. And I love complaining, too. Since I love to hate the place, I'm planning to stay and complain. 

A masochist and a perfectionist, I see ???? 

Maybe think of it this way, for any one to live in Thailand happily it means to stick the head firmly in the sand. That leaves your rear sticking up to the sky so don't be surprised if somebody comes and shoves a fist up the chimney. Remember not to pull the head out of the sand or you'll get the red pill. The price of happiness here is ignorance and butthurt.

I just can't resist driving a camper van into all those poking <deleted>. It's also the only way to ever get Thais and hangers on to wake up, relentlessly grind their beloved face to the whirling stainless steel brush of reality. One day they'll figure out face is a major cultural flaw.

I want to leave Thailand not for financial reasons or visa reasons (have a good job with work permit)  but because I despise the locals and their ridiculous ways.

Today was a classic example (and just another day in thailand):

Needed 6 months bank statements from Bangkok Bank. I have got my work permit, Thai drivers licence and Australian drivers licence with me, but oh no, not good enough, you need Passport.

Waste 1 hour going home to get Passport. Come back to bank and give them passport. They make copies and I have to sign several forms just to get the statements. During the process the teller lost my passport while copying it. Had to come into back office and spend 20 minutes looking for it before found it on someone’s desk under other paper (how???).

Come out of the bank and someone has totally parked me in (double parked in the main road). They were gone for half an hour!! Had no choice but to wait for them.

Drive back to office and very nearly kill a family of four when they pull out directly in front of me without looking.

By contrast it took me 60 seconds to log onto my Australian bank account at my desk and print off statements.

And this is happening all day everyday across various aspects of life. How can you have any respect whatsoever for these people.

i am working on moving back to Oz and will do so when job is secured. As someone mentioned though it is very expensive to move back (with a family of four).

I want to leave Thailand not for financial reasons or visa reasons (have a good job with work permit)  but because I despise the locals and their ridiculous ways.

Needed 6 months bank statements from Bangkok Bank. I have got my work permit, Thai drivers licence and Australian drivers licence with me, but oh no, not good enough, you need Passport.

Waste 1 hour going home to get Passport. Come back to bank and give them passport. They make copies and I have to sign several forms just to get the statements. During the process the teller lost my passport while copying it. Had to come into back office and spend 20 minutes looking for it before found it on someone’s desk under other paper (how???).

Come out of the bank and someone has totally parked me in (double parked in the main road). They were gone for half an hour!! Had no choice but to wait for them.

Drive back to office and very nearly kill a family of four when they pull out directly in front of me without looking.

By contrast it took me 60 seconds to log onto my Australian bank account at my desk and print off statements.

And this is happening all day everyday across various aspects of life. How can you have any respect whatsoever for these people.

i am working on moving back to Oz and will do so when job is secured. As someone mentioned though it is very expensive to move back (with a family of four).

Totally agree, everything is becoming painful.

I also despise the locals, 99.9999999% of them anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Yes. Just another day in paradise. Every single time I have to go and do something involving Thais I need to mentally prepare to witness their idiocy. Still it's near unbearable even when expected. And knowing it would only take them turning on their brains to do a simple job right, but they refuse to do so because of sabai sabai sanook mai bpen rai attitudes. Public caning I say. Lots of it.

This, day in, day out, eats your soul away no matter how much you try to ignore it. After a decade or more it just becomes too much, the somchais win.

34 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

A bad day then. :giggle:

I give you all you mentioned,  apart from not having your passport at the bank

you should know you need it for everything you do at a bank.

I would be careful of going back to Oz, the Aborigines will be revoking your citizenship in the coming years, after they take Australia back. :cheesy:,:sorry:

47 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yes. Just another day in paradise. Every single time I have to go and do something involving Thais I need to mentally prepare to witness their idiocy. Still it's near unbearable even when expected. And knowing it would only take them turning on their brains to do a simple job right, but they refuse to do so because of sabai sabai sanook mai bpen rai attitudes. Public caning I say. Lots of it.

This, day in, day out, eats your soul away no matter how much you try to ignore it. After a decade or more it just becomes too much, the somchais win.

Brilliant summary...this is exactly how I feel...I just can’t do it for much longer...15 years here now and am at end of tether...

A bad day then. :giggle:
I give you all you mentioned,  apart from not having your passport at the bank
you should know you need it for everything you do at a bank.

I would be careful of going back to Oz, the Aborigines will be revoking your citizenship in the coming years, after they take Australia back. :cheesy:,:sorry:

At the end of the day your passport is the number one form of id.

That's what's needed, so just take it and that's job done. My wife has to take her Thai id card to the bank when she gets her bank statements for her UK visa, that's her main form if id.

For a bank statement?? A printed price of paper that reflects the balance shown in my bank book that I am giving them?

You have been here too long my friend.

Tampering with long-standing rules makes life nothing but difficult for expats. We have no method of making our concerns heard and to do so would probably be highly offensive to the "Big Men" who run the Immigration Department. Flexibility and exceptions are no among Thai strong points, unless there is a brown envelope involved.  Expats appear to be the Thai equivalent of Donald Trump's "undesirable aliens".

On 1/25/2019 at 10:40 AM, villagefarang said:

I like living here and it is better than when I first arrived.

I would say because you know your neighborhood by now. 

The locals have almost never been a problem. 

It's the government's policy decisions not to welcome us anymore.

Why many reasons, first of all starting our friends starting to ask questions about things are handled. 

1 hour ago, jethro69 said:

I would say because you know your neighborhood by now. 

The locals have almost never been a problem. 

It's the government's policy decisions not to welcome us anymore.

Why many reasons, first of all starting our friends starting to ask questions about things are handled. 

I’ve moved neighborhoods several times in the last 40 years so it’s not that. It’s just everything really. A lot depends on your time reference though.

18 hours ago, Sealbash said:

Only a novice would go to the bank without a passport

Or some one with a pink ID. Which should be enough as it is an official Thai government issued ID, but with the clerks being what they are, low level automatons, as soon as they see a whitey it's passport please. Was a fairly useless exercise getting the yellow thabian baan and pink ID, so much for the benefits of integration.

18 hours ago, villagefarang said:

I’ve moved neighborhoods several times in the last 40 years so it’s not that. It’s just everything really. A lot depends on your time reference though.

Give it some time and it'll drop to a level before 1970's. We're probably hovering somewhere around early 90's/late 80's, proceeding backwards in time. Junta wants to go back to the 30's. Others before that.

Archived