For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

Just now, HuskerDo said:

Interesting.... You just stated that "the Thais are mostly low class greedy poorly educated xenophobes" yet you live in a 100% Thai community. I'd love to see a psychologist evaluate you. It would make for quite a read. 

I didn't interact with my neighbours in the UK, why would I start doing it in Thailand?

New years eve, and a couple of birthdays for neighbour interaction is the norm wherever I live.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I didn't interact with my neighbours in the UK, why would I start doing it in Thailand?

New years eve, and a couple of birthdays for neighbour interaction is the norm wherever I live.

Gee I don't know Britman. Why would anyone ever consider interacting with other people? Nevermind. You are who you are and they "are mostly low class greedy poorly educated xenophobes"(your words) anyway right? . Have a great week. 

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I live in a 100% Thai community. I wonder how much Thai you can speak, read or write?

I'm thinking none at all (apart from 'farang' and the occasional 'aroy mak mak')

I wish ferangs would leave it at that generally, they sound stupid to me. In 7/11 i cringe.

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's one of the things that I love about Thailand. It reminds me of living in the UK when I was a young child. Popping next door for a cup of sugar, community bonfires with everyone bringing home baked produce and fireworks, all the kids playing on the street together. All pretty much gone now, in the UK.

My neighbours are in and out of my house constantly in Thailand. We give and receive food daily. Lunch on my patio has always been a community activity. Garden produce is freely exchanged, a neighbour excitedly asked me yesterday, when did I think that my bananas would be ripe? Have had neighbours walk into my garden, pick a papaya off a tree and wander off without saying a word. My wife asks me, "Would you like a starfruit or a pomegranate?" then wanders off to a neighbours garden to pick my choice.

For me, it's really heartwarming to live in a real community. If I ever had to leave Thailand, it would be one of the things that I missed the most.

On 1/25/2019 at 1:52 PM, Lacessit said:

IMHO a lot of expats are going to find the rules on income a lot harder to meet, now that some nationalities can't falsify income declarations with their embassy/consulates. Provided the Thai Government does not change requirements such as introducing health insurance, or increasing the amount of funds required to be on deposit, others will be OK. Although I'm forecasting a developing business in three month loans.

I haven't really noticed a dramatic increase in the cost of living in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. If anything, rents are getting cheaper due to oversupply.

The rents on condos and apartments should keep getting cheaper as immigration continues making it more difficult for foreigners to live here.  There is already a glut of condos and apartments as many expats are starting to leave.  

I think by the end of the year, you will stop seeing travel articles about Thailand being an attractive retirement destination.  What you will see is articles warning foreign retirees, Thailands golden era for expat retirees is over.  

If immigration continues on its current path of requiring foreigners to deposit their money in Thai banks, the once crowded and chaotic immigration offices will be empty.   ????    

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

The rents on condos and apartments should keep getting cheaper as immigration continues making it more difficult for foreigners to live here.  There is already a glut of condos and apartments as many expats are starting to leave.  

I think by the end of the year, you will stop seeing travel articles about Thailand being an attractive retirement destination.  What you will see is articles warning foreign retirees, Thailands golden era for expat retirees is over.  

If immigration continues on its current path of requiring foreigners to deposit their money in Thai banks, the once crowded and chaotic immigration offices will be empty.   ????    

What have they done specifically,? the 20 or so retired/ married folk i hang out with haven said a word.

@CMnight rider

Yes the desperate scammers without a bean to their name were rorting the system. Mostly poor pensioners

There should be a glut of 4k fan rooms hitting the market. Who knows maybe you can pick one up for 3500 baht, [emoji23]

Keep us posted!

3 hours ago, Rugon said:

That would be awesome. The strange fact is that most of the Thai haters have Thai wives, go figure! They hate all Thais but are willing to put up with one if they put up with their racist views and beer belly.

Keep your enemies close.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

It's one of the things that I love about Thailand. It reminds me of living in the UK when I was a young child. Popping next door for a cup of sugar, community bonfires with everyone bringing home baked produce and fireworks, all the kids playing on the street together. All pretty much gone now, in the UK.

Hrrr. I prefer having the door slightly ajar with the shotgun poking out, in case that ¤"#¤%#¤ neighbour living 15km away decides to intrude the perimeter. What you describe is some Dante's extra level hell.

20 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

What have they done specifically,? the 20 or so retired/ married folk i hang out with haven said a word.

When I first applied for a Thai retirement visa in the states, you were required to show the required monthly income and sufficient funds in a US bank.  Unless you have been sleeping, immigration isn't concerned anymore what you have in your home countries bank nor the monthly income you receive going into that bank.  

They now want your money being deposited into a Thai bank.  Of course this eliminates those who were unable to deposit the required monthly funds or make the total amount Thai Immigration requires.  That is the first wave to leave every month as their yearly visa extensions come due.  The next wave will be the people who will refuse to deposit their money here for a number of valid reasons.

As far as your friends who haven't said a word about this, all I can say is there are basically three kinds of people on this planet.  People who make things happen, people who watch things happen, and people who aren't aware of anything happening.  

Maybe the reason your friends haven't commented on this most recent hurdle immigration has placed on foreigners who wish to live here, is they may be in the later group I mentioned. ????    

27 minutes ago, madmen said:

@CMnight rider

Yes the desperate scammers without a bean to their name were rorting the system. Mostly poor pensioners

There should be a glut of 4k fan rooms hitting the market. Who knows maybe you can pick one up for 3500 baht, emoji23.png

Keep us posted!

My, my, my, what's up with the sarcastic remark?  While there is a lot of people who may fall into what could be considered poor pensioners, there is another group who come very close to what immigration requires but fall short of the mark.  I certainly wouldn't refer to them as "desperate scammers."  

As far as me being in the market for a "4k fan room," I think not, lol.  In the future, if you feel the urge to show everyone how superior you think you are to old people who may be a little short of the monthly funds immigration wants deposited in a Thai bank, maybe it would be better to direct your remarks towards someone as equally mentally challenged as yourself.

Anyway, you have a nice day too ????

26 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

if you feel the urge to show everyone how superior you think you are to old people who may be a little short of the monthly funds immigration wants deposited in a Thai bank,

I may be a little short of the 65k the immigration officer wants to see, but that 65k is probably double his wage (before the agents pay him his cut).

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I may be a little short of the 65k the immigration officer wants to see, but that 65k is probably double his wage (before the agents pay him his cut).

That's probably true but I'm not certain if the visa agents have to pay these people or not.  A few years ago, I got burned out seeing immigration every year for my one year extension.  I now use a visa agency where they do the paper work, make an appointment, and take me to immigration so they can take my photo.  

I don't have to speak to these people anymore which is worth the added expense alone.  During the year the agency does any 90 day reports I may have to have, and the TM30's when I return to Thailand from my trips.  I recently asked the visa agent what they have to pay immigration.  

According to the agent they don't pay them anything.  I don't care one way or the other since I am no longer burdened with interacting with immigration. ????

3 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

That's probably true but I'm not certain if the visa agents have to pay these people or not.  A few years ago, I got burned out seeing immigration every year for my one year extension.  I now use a visa agency where they do the paper work, make an appointment, and take me to immigration so they can take my photo.  

I don't have to speak to these people anymore which is worth the added expense alone.  During the year the agency does any 90 day reports I may have to have, and the TM30's when I return to Thailand from my trips.  I recently asked the visa agent what they have to pay immigration.  

According to the agent they don't pay them anything.  I don't care one way or the other since I am no longer burdened with interacting with immigration. ????

Been here since early 90's and have never done a 90 day report yet. Never had too.

On 1/27/2019 at 6:17 AM, Spidey said:

Quality of service is subjective but you are less likely to get a starfish or runner in the other countries I've mentioned. Or an accidental ladyboy.

Ease of access. Nothing easier than walking into a FKK in Germany, with the advantage that, unlike Thailand, it's completely legal in Germany.

Price. It's not unknown to pay up to 5k baht for an hour of a top GoGo dancer's time in Pattaya. I can only speak with authority on a brothel in my own home town, in the UK. Staffed by young and very attractive Eastern Europeans. £80 (3200 baht) per session. No lady drinks or padded bar bill.

since you brought it up,

Japanese soaplands are excellent, beat LoS hands down in my view

what is way above soaplands in Japan are multisex onsen with (free) boom boom

if you are in for p4p this is the absolutely ultimate experience in my view

these establishments are few and far between, most are in the North, West of Sapporo

these treasures are mostly strictly off limit to gaijins, influential friends are needed for gaijin to visit

(I have been to 1, no more, alas)

enjoy your Sunday roast

46 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Been here since early 90's and have never done a 90 day report yet. Never had too.

How do you get away with not doing a 90 day report?  I missed many due to taking trips out of the country before the 90 day report was due.  

I can't think of another country in the world who requires foreigners living in their country to check in to their immigration every 90 days.  Am I the only one who thinks something is wrong with this nonsensical requirement not to mention the 24 hour TM30 requirement.

Anyway, good for you if you are somehow exempt for this requirement. ????  

7 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

How do you get away with not doing a 90 day report?  I missed many due to taking trips out of the country before the 90 day report was due.  

I can't think of another country in the world who requires foreigners living in their country to check in to their immigration every 90 days.  Am I the only one who thinks something is wrong with this nonsensical requirement not to mention the 24 hour TM30 requirement.

Anyway, good for you if you are somehow exempt for this requirement. ????  

Travel, was mostly paid by companies.

Now on multi 0 both retired so still travelling, that's what retirement is for, us anyway. Only time I see Imm' is for a 60 day extension to make the multi O last 17 months.

When I renew even somewhere where they don't need funds I always have my bankbook and copies to show just in case they make an overnight decision to start asking for them.

On 1/25/2019 at 6:37 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Meals under 50B are still available in Sukhumvit (1-21).

But I guess most people who live in that area don't live there because of cheap street food. I have at least 10 international restaurants in 5 minutes walking distance, and a couple of 7/11, supermarket, etc.

And personally I am willing to pay a higher rent to have all these options without the need to drive anywhere.

I don't have a car because I don't need a car.

You are an Eco-friendly man!

Have a happy stay!

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

That would mean you'll be out of Thailand within a year. So that's why all the Thais are smiling so much these days. :-)

it is wise to carry always a small bundle of papers with the portrait of His Majesty the King. 

Lol. when residing in Andorra some years ago, I never had a problem with the police in neighbouring countries who assumed from the coat of arms on my car registration plate that I was some sort of royalty...

andorra.gif.25a0f93d019543f030c6952ac2da1f78.gif

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

We're all retired, we have time on our hands.

Walked 22Km in the jungle yesterday, up to see the Sakura, that's 4-5hrs of my 14hr day filled.

Lots of time left to sit around, play with my kids, read a book, watch a movie, listen to music, post on forums.

sakura 1a.jpg

Not buying it Brit. 22KM in 4 - 5 hours? In the jungle? Someone of your age? 

16 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

immigration isn't concerned anymore what you have in your home countries bank nor the monthly income you receive going into that bank

A Letter of Income is still issued by the gross of the Embassies/Consulates, and is still accepted  by Thai Immigration. 

The expats of all those countries, can still transfer the amount they wish, when they wish, to Thailand. 

Archived