e-Visa for Chinese tourists to be launched February 15

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

No, only the money they spend.

.. what money ? The average Chinese visitor is a tour group member.. look, look, look,.. don't spend . Yeah.. bookings, hotels, all negotiated at cheap rates.. and guys like me walking in on visa free 30 days 4/5 times a year spend money , money , money... yet we can be told by immigration that we are coming too many times ... anyone ever see a walking street tour of Chinese following a flag ? No a baht gets spent . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
31 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

That must be a total per nationality, rather than per head.

Hence the need for increasing the number of Chinese visitors, to keep the total up, given the low spend by each individual.

No per head.

I find that very surprising, going on reports I've read about them.

Where are the figures from, and does it indicate what they are buying? I wouldn't have thought they would be staying in more expensive accommodation than everyone else - if that is included in the totals?

Welcome to the land of smiles and other deadly road kill  Don't be surprised, would you expect better...it's the way the life is here.   You're hoping for the tiger to change his stripes - NOT going to happen....EVER!  So suck it up or do something about it.

52 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks for that, haven't seen it before. (Amazing Thailand!)

So the Thailand version is not an e-Visa as I know it, more a complex on-line application for visas other than for short term tourist.

Can't see how this major initiative will impact on the vast majority of basic Chinese visitors.

Yes it isn't an E visa as such.It's a new worldwide system coming online. Very shortly you won't be able to obtain a visa anywhere without first uploading all your documents and then getting a yes or no regarding a visa. The MFA and immigration are now linked to a central database in Bangkok (Much too the disgust of those posting above that assume it never happened lol)  hence the decision to be granted a visa will no longer be at Embassy level. The days of changing passports in order to hide your history and overstay etc from Embassy's are coming to an end.
Vientiane part change over the 1st February to the online booking system and KL change over to it the 15th February. No more walk in applications there without an online booking.
London go's over to the full system in the link above in April. No more postal or walk in applications allowed in London after that date.

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Yes it isn't an E visa as such.It's a new worldwide system coming online. Very shortly you won't be able to obtain a visa anywhere without first uploading all your documents and then getting a yes or no regarding a visa. The MFA and immigration are now linked to a central database in Bangkok (Much too the disgust of those posting above that assume it never happened lol)  hence the decision to be granted a visa will no longer be at Embassy level. The days of changing passports in order to hide your history and overstay etc from Embassy's are coming to an end.
Vientiane part change over the 1st February to the online booking system and KL change over to it the 15th February. No more walk in applications there without an online booking.
London go's over to the full system in the link above in April. No more postal or walk in applications allowed in London after that date.

Yes, I made the mistake of thinking it was similar to Australia's decades old Electronic Travel Visa (ETA)..

It is however Thailand's version of an account based computerized system for lodging visas, not really appropriate for short term, visa exempt tourists.

A lot of hoo-ha about Chinese getting advantages before others when in fact very few Chinese would be using it. 

As you mention, when fully up and running, it will obviously impact on all applying for visas issued in Embassies.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, I made the mistake of thinking it was similar to Australia's decades old Electronic Travel Visa (ETA)..

It is however Thailand's version of an account based computerized system for lodging visas, not really appropriate for short term, visa exempt tourists.

A lot of hoo-ha about Chinese getting advantages before others when in fact very few Chinese would be using it. 

As you mention, when fully up and running, it will obviously impact on all applying for visas issued in Embassies.

Here is another link on the system of when you actually apply. Each window represents a particular type of visa. If you click each window (Picture) you can play with the system without fear of applying as it isn't live yet. Notice how you cannot move on with the application if you cannot supply certain information or don't meet the criteria of the visa you want to apply for.

https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/

13 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Here is another link on the system of when you actually apply. Each window represents a particular type of visa. If you click each window (Picture) you can play with the system without fear of applying as it isn't live yet. Notice how you cannot move on with the application if you cannot supply certain information or don't meet the criteria of the visa you want to apply for.

https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/

I wonder if this on-line system will ever include permit extensions, and would that be good or bad?  It would force uniformity if nothing else.

Edit:

I probably should have read this first.

EXTENSION OF STAY
The visa holder must file an application for an extension at the Office of Immigration Bureau in the province of residence (For those staying in Bangkok, the Immigration Bureau located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889). The extension of stay is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

Edited by Old Croc

16 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Chinese New Year begins 5th Feb and ends 19th. 

So you will only be able to get this if you come to Thailand halfway thru the celebrations, and come from Beijing.

Another proof of the gifted logic in the Land ! 

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Just the same as the foreigner database, promised 'within six months', and now five months overdue with not a whisper from Prawit who promised it, or anyone in immigration.

Normal sort of a bullshit day really:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1025048-foreigner-database-to-be-ready-in-six-months/

Farang may never see an e-visa and foreigner doesn't necessarily mean westerners. But when it comes to their Cash Cow Chinese (CCCs) you can bet your bottom dollar it will be up and running because if not the Chinese will make dependent Thailand pay a heavy price by simply cancelling bookings. 

5 hours ago, ryane66 said:

More special treatment for the Chinese. And forget about all others.

nooooo, Thailand is part of China thus same treatment as for Thais....colonization started a couple months

16 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Chinese New Year begins 5th Feb and ends 19th. 

So you will only be able to get this if you come to Thailand halfway thru the celebrations, and come from Beijing.

IMO must have gotten their dates wrong.... waiting for revised version

3 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Same system as going live in London in April.
For those not familiar with the new requirements at The Royal Thai Embassy in London to get a visa (Any type of visa) as from April 2019 here is the tutorial on how you will need to proceed. There will be no walk in or postal applications allowed. You only go and take your hard copies when your visa has been approved. ALL Thai Embassy's and consulates worldwide need to move to the new databased system by the end of 2020. Demo below in the link of how it works.
If you notice Vientiane and KL switch partly over too the system in February and April

https://thaievisa.go.th/Images/sliders/e-visa.mp4

it would be nice if it was available for the ones living here (ohhh, I forgot, we are not that important) this stuff only applies to visitors/tourists

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

As the Chinese are eligible for a visa on arrival, and the vast majority are short term tourists, what are the advantages for them of an e-Visa?

Perhaps quicker entry processing at airports? 

time is of essence when they are running to the shops

2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Obviously not the quality tourists they've been talking about, this is more about quantity...

many people and/or countries prefer quality over quantity, in Thailand is the opposite, quantity (even if it's bad) over quality they have their priorities all mixed up

• Like 1

Just now, Mavideol said:

it would be nice if it was available for the ones living here (ohhh, I forgot, we are not that important) this stuff only applies to visitors/tourists

If you need a VISA and not an extension, it is available to anybody here or worldwide. You submit your documents and get the approval, you then choose an Embassy OUTSIDE of Thailand, take your hard copy's and booking which you submitted electronically and get the visa.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They spend on average more a day than any tourists from any other country.

Averages are misleading.  Median is a better indicator in many instances - especially when figuring infrastructure-costs, in this case.  You don't need to modify the airport and repair roads to accommodate a few regime-family billionaires who spend a ton - but you do for huge numbers of "tour-group" tourists, who barely spend any money each.  And especially when you lower the VOA fees, to bring in more of the very poorest of the latter group.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

you must be confused or living in a different planet, Chinese are cheap very cheap and most of their spending is on a cup of noddles at 7-11 or at the (so called) duty free shops looking for the special promotion

• Like 1

If you need a VISA and not an extension, it is available to anybody here or worldwide. You submit your documents and get the approval, you then choose an Embassy OUTSIDE of Thailand, take your hard copy's and booking which you submitted electronically and get the visa.

No advantage for the applicants as you have still to visit an embassy or consulate

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

It would be great if we all get to pay 2000b for that VOA as well, that is so unfair.

14 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

can you please explain the advantages, still have to get out and visit an embassy,  what's the point

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Correct.

They spend more , visit more tourist attractions and go on more trips once they arrive than any other tourists.

And more Chinese are travelling independently than ever, not just to Thailand but all over the world, it makes absolute sense that the Thai govt would roll out this e-visa for Chinese

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

can you please explain the advantages, still have to get out and visit an embassy,  what's the point

The advantage to applicants is no need to stand in a line to be refused a visa for lack of paperwork or any other reason and no need to be compelled to collect the visa at the Embassy you applied in. The advantage is too Thailand security and how they issue visas and who they allow to enter and how many times with a visa (Tourist) not designed for living here. 

When I first read the article I didn't understand why it was restricted to Beijing citizens. Having watched the video I realised why; a visit to the Embassy to get the stamp in the passport. So it's not actually an electronic visa at all.

If I were Chinese I think I'd prfer to opt for the VOA.

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

No, only the money they spend.

I thought they didn't spend any money when here? I think it's more that the Thais feel a stronger connection with China, after all the country is run and controlled by Thai born Chinese.

2 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Boy, it really is bend-over-and-stick-it-here time at the TAT. And just when the Chinese economy is entering its worst period in twenty years.

That's why they keep trying to make it easier for them - to keep the "total visitors" count up for the annual report.

42 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

nooooo, Thailand is part of China thus same treatment as for Thais....colonization started a couple months

I wonder how long now, until Beijing demands corporations and nations they do business with stop referring to Laos, and Thailand as "independent countries".  But they will concede something along the lines of "One country, two systems," so not to worry. 

24 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Next on the list; 

All Chinese tourists welcomed with a complementary all you can eat seafood buffet at Suvarnabhumi on arrival.  

... care of the Thai taxpayer, who are already paying for the other infrastructure spending, to support visitors whose spending primarily benefits only a very few (connected to the Tour Companies - where the buses stop).

Edited by JackThompson