Uk Man Spends 16 Years 'imprisoned' In Malaysia

taxexile

Man spends 16 years 'imprisoned' in Malaysia

By Richard Holt and agencies

Last Updated: 3:01pm GMT 23/02/2007

A British man wrongly prevented from leaving Malaysia for 16 years has won over £400,000 in damages.

Ronald Beadle, a 69-year-old former army engineer, originally from Derbyshire, had his travel documents confiscated by the country's inland revenue department in December 1981 after authorities claimed he failed to settle income tax payments while working there.

Mr Beadle, who was cleared of the allegations in 1998, sued the Malaysian government in 2000 for negligence and breach of statutory duties, claiming his experience was similar to "false imprisonment".

The High Court in Kuala Lumpur found in his favour and ordered the Malaysian government to pay him three million ringgit (£439,000) for seizing his passport.

Jeffrey Wong, who represented the Briton, said his client was pleased with the judgment but disappointed with the level of compensation.

The lawyer said: "He felt that it was a bit low.

"He did mention he was to consider whether he wants to appeal.

"I think he was relieved to have won the case. This is a chapter of his life he has closed.

"I think at the end of the day no amount of money will be able to compensate what he has gone through."

Mr Beadle was "out of town" and unavailable for comment today, the lawyer said.

But after the hearing, he told a Malaysian newspaper: "No amount of money could have compensated the loss of 5,968 days when my passport was seized."

from the uk daily telegraph.

So many things left answered by this story:

1. Was he stuck in Malaysia that entire time?

2. The UK government did not go to bat for him in any way?

3. Could he not have received a re-issued passport and apply for a new visa or whatever?

4. 16 years and he couldn't arrange to get out illegally somehow?

Probably more questions, but those should do for now...

Shall have to say that the Malaysian authorities and their regulations are in complete strark contrast to those of Thailand. Here, they can't wait to kick you out at the earliest opportunity!

Pay me 400,000 and il stay in Malaysia for 16 years, certainly beats having to spend 16 years in darned Manchester or Middlesex.

Yeah, this story is riddled with unanswered questions. If he had seriously wished to leave he could have.