New High End PC

moogradod

My main PC has only survived the journey to Thailand in our container with a defect: It shuts off automatically after some minutes - most likely due to it detecting an overheated CPU - which may actually not be overheated. Prior to the uncontrolled shutdown the fan inside starts to make strange noises.

This PC is a 12 core machine. I need the power for my Digital Audio Workstation for recording guitar and for editing high resolution videos. It features as well a vast number (about 12 or so) USB ports to connect various guitar effects. It still runs on Windows 7 professional but hosts quite some expensive software which needs to be ported.

Its now time to definitely get a powerful Windows 10 PC (I have some, but lower spec - used as backup). Where can I find a really decent shop which may provide not only laptops but High End PCs which are extentable with boards (Must be a tower casing, perferably with liquid cooling) and the very latest processor available in Thailand. What I have seen in Pattaya so far is less than promising, but I might look in the wrong place.

Then I need a repair for the old PC (worst case is replacement of mother board) or a new PC in which to install the 2 old drives. I then have an Acronis Backup to restore the configuration, this should work even with only compatible HW, but with WIndows 7. Need the old one running while setting up the new one based on Win10 in parallel.

Where to go ? Pattaya and vicinity would of course be the very first choice. But if need be I might even make a visit to Bangkok. Thanks for any hints.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Just buy it all at one of the big IT shops and let them assemble it. You can also let invade IT assemble it for a price. 

I would never attempt to assemble it all by myself. But the "combination" method needs very careful consideration. Not everything is compatibel and even if it is it might not work well together. I have to rely on a sound expertise - and possibly examples and reference.

Which brings me back to the original question: Which shops exactly where to buy the parts and with the expertise to know which parts ?  The statement is "one of the big IT shops". I have not seen so many in Pattaya and what I have seen had not one single upper class PC on display. Tucom may feature at least a shop that might repair my "old" Windows 7 PC - which is a task that needs to be done as well.

FRACTAL Tower, 2 x 128 Corsair SSDs, 1 TB & 500GB WD Caviar Black hard drives, 8GB RAM, i5 CPU, ASUS motherboard, Genuine w10 Pro installed plus Sonar Cakewalk Platinum, Audacity, etc etc. Plus a Line 6 UX2 audio interface brand new from USA.

I have had 32 tracks of audio running simultaneously on this machine.

If interested PM me. Cheers.

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I would never attempt to assemble it all by myself. But the "combination" method needs very careful consideration. Not everything is compatibel and even if it is it might not work well together. I have to rely on a sound expertise - and possibly examples and reference.

Which brings me back to the original question: Which shops exactly where to buy the parts and with the expertise to know which parts ?  The statement is "one of the big IT shops". I have not seen so many in Pattaya and what I have seen had not one single upper class PC on display. Tucom may feature at least a shop that might repair my "old" Windows 7 PC - which is a task that needs to be done as well.

Sorry I am located in Bangkok, much more choice there. But i normally buy all my stuff at invade IT and assemble it myself. I used to build computer as an extra job. 

JIBB seems to be competent in the shopping center near my home, you can buy it all there and for 400 bt or so let them assemble it. They als give advice. So it is ok to do it there. 

But you can also ask here people will let you know what can be matched together. Its not that hard as you might think but it takes a little reading online.

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

My main PC has only survived the journey to Thailand in our container with a defect: It shuts off automatically after some minutes - most likely due to it detecting an overheated CPU - which may actually not be overheated. Prior to the uncontrolled shutdown the fan inside starts to make strange noises.

Some crap has probably fallen into the fan during transit. If so it can easily be cleaned or replaced for minimal cost.

Just buy it all at one of the big IT shops and let them assemble it. You can also let invade IT assemble it for a price. 
Exactly. My gaming pc was assembled in the shop while I had lunch with no charge. Far better specs and cheaper than buying a take away unit

2 minutes ago, madmen said:
1 hour ago, robblok said:

Exactly. My gaming pc was assembled in the shop while I had lunch with no charge. Far better specs and cheaper than buying a take away unit

Not sure if its always cheaper.. but one thing for sure it give you a lot more options. 

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I would not try to buy any high-end equipment here. Prices are silly, and both choice and availability are minimal.

I unfortunately have to. But maybe it can be done on a modular basis as some suggest here. 4K Video Editing and latency issues and virtual instruments (polyphonic piano is using quite some ressources - needs to reproduce all these overtones) with recording call for the latest processor and a huge amount of RAM, like 64GB or even 128GB if this is available.

HW is aging quickly, the best strategy is to determine the very latest available and then go back one step to buy the second best available for the absolute top end is always unreasonabley expensive. With the very latest I mean the very latest on an international scale. Things may be imported if need to. I know its expensive, but actually it is my fault - could have bought what I need now in Switzerland possibly at a fraction of the price. Now I am more wise but it does not help.

What I am desperately missing so far is the adress of one single shop that might qualify out of the "one of the big shops".

34 minutes ago, moogradod said:

What I am desperately missing so far is the adress of one single shop

https://www.invadeit.co.th/

can not hurt to tell them what you need. i believe invadeit is Farang owned. maybe they can build it for you. 

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/cpus-processors/intel/core-i9-9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz-p040276/

Sounds like the cooling isn't sufficient now you have the computer in a hotter climate.
The cheaper option before buying a whole new computer would be to try improve the air flow on the original computer.
Add an extra fan or try water cooling.
You could first try removing the side panel and blowing air on the MOBO and CPU from a room fan to see if that improves it.

6 hours ago, moogradod said:

What I am desperately missing so far is the adress of one single shop that might qualify out of the "one of the big shops".

See the other recent topic in this sub-forum where people have commented about ordering direct from Newegg.

I also dont understand why you dont just clean or replace the fan as I mentioned yesterday.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I also dont understand why you dont just clean or replace the fan as I mentioned yesterday.

I will bring the PC to Tucom and have the vent exchanged and tell them to have a look at the cooling as a whole. With your bold eye, you see nothing unusual. Of course I opened the box long ago.

invade-IT has interesting components and recent ones, too, but at high prices. Have not seen on ther website that they would assemble for me. I have a friend in Hua Hin who runs a business there. Maybe he could ask them peronally. Will look into that "Newegg" issue you (KittenKong) mentioned. Need some time, for daily use (like posting on TV) I have 1 more desktop and 2 Laptops as backups.

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

can not hurt to tell them what you need. i believe invadeit is Farang owned. maybe they can build it for you. 

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/cpus-processors/intel/core-i9-9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz-p040276/

Thanks ! Had a look at their website, and they really have decent components. Housings are not really up to date I feel. And it is expensive too - so I need an expertise how far I would need to go. Will try to contact them via mail or call.

I may as well visit them in Hua Hin. I have a friend there who runs a business and might help.

19 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks ! Had a look at their website, and they really have decent components. Housings are not really up to date I feel. And it is expensive too - so I need an expertise how far I would need to go. Will try to contact them via mail or call.

I may as well visit them in Hua Hin. I have a friend there who runs a business and might help.

Invade IT might be a bit more expensive then other shops, but not too much. These are the prices in Thailand.

13 hours ago, moogradod said:

I unfortunately have to. But maybe it can be done on a modular basis as some suggest here. 4K Video Editing and latency issues and virtual instruments (polyphonic piano is using quite some ressources - needs to reproduce all these overtones) with recording call for the latest processor and a huge amount of RAM, like 64GB or even 128GB if this is available.

HW is aging quickly, the best strategy is to determine the very latest available and then go back one step to buy the second best available for the absolute top end is always unreasonabley expensive. With the very latest I mean the very latest on an international scale. Things may be imported if need to. I know its expensive, but actually it is my fault - could have bought what I need now in Switzerland possibly at a fraction of the price. Now I am more wise but it does not help.

Current Intel mainstream chips, like the latest Z390, support only 64GB memory. For 128GB and higher you'll have to use X299 chipsets and Intel socket 2066 processors, which will put your rig into much higher price bracket, but definitely High End. You could go higher than that, but then you'll get into the professional bracket, with prices to match.

There is also the AMD option, but I don't have any personal experience with it. Others here surely could advise in this area.

You don't mention your budget for this rig. It would be easier to suggest components if we knew how much you were willing to spend.

3 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

You don't mention your budget for this rig. It would be easier to suggest components if we knew how much you were willing to spend.

Lets say about 120'000 - maybe a bit more - for the Tower with Mainboard, Processor, RAM, SSD 500GB or 1TB and a modest standard data disk with 3 or 4TB would do and liquid cooling and graphics card and sounc card. I wil reuse my superb Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse. It helps to have a number of USB ports, perferably about 10+, preferably version 3.0. May be achieved with an additional USB board. As for number of cores it is a question of tradeoff between parallel processing and speed. Difficult to say, depends on the Software capabilities. If I can get near 4GHz it is certainly enough. Then it depends on the number of cores, the more the better given the budget. RAM 64MB is enough. I do not need top notch gaming graphics, I never play games, but I dislike the non-smoothness of (for example) moving graphics in google earth. So a resonable game card would not be completely out of place. My main applications are 4K Video Editing and Audio Recording using a DAW, currently SONAR and playing virtual instruments like Piano (which is the most demanding of the instruments). My main instrument is the guitar (real one).

It's nice to see that you have a realistic budget. Many people want everything high end for nothing.

For 120K you will definitely get a High End rig based on X299 chip with 64GB memory and a 8/16 core minimum with liquid cooling.

I would suggest an 500GB SSD as your system and applications drive and 500GB-1TB NVMe for the editing source and 4TB as the backup/archive drive.

The graphics card is not that important for video editing and any decent modern card will do nicely. However, if you output to 10 bit, you will need the nVidia Quadro. They are in the range of 12K baht.

For some years now I've been using this spreadsheet to design my rigs. I've entered your requirements, and the total price was just over 100K baht, excluding the Sound card, as I don't have the pricing for it.

Video 4k Edit.xlsx

The prices in the spreadsheet are from InvadeIT and would reflect the market prices within 5% I think.

The bright red components should be used with dark red components, but dark red can be used with any.

All component will work very well together. Just enter you preferences and bring it to the shop. If they don't have something, they will surely get it for you. Haggle to get a better price, and you should not pay anything for the assembly.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Thank you SpaceKadet for the excel. This is a very good basis for discussion. And your suggestion to use 3 drives -> spot on. Would be favourable for the "Audio PC" as well, OS/app software = first drive, Instruments/editing = second drive, bulk storage/archive = third drive.

For backup I always use an external disk which is disconnected to the system during normal operation and for the real archive I use a Synology NAS.

The housing you propose is a bit spartanic. But I have not seen anything better myself in Thailand yet. Would love to have some USB ports on the front near the top. And finally a BluRay and CD burner must be included. For the sound card I have to investigate what is available. Currently I use an external interfaced to connect guitar and microphone.

You say: Bring it to the shop. I would love to. But where to go ? InvadeIT is only an online shop or am I mistaken ?

Will as well PM you concerning some detail of the excel.

The cases I've included is mostly for pricing. In the end it's personal aesthetics decision, but the prices reflect what you should expect from a good quality case. Most, if not all cases have USB in front or or top. Not that many have external bays for BluRay or CD drives though. My preference is Lian Li, mainly because I like aluminum, and the quality of their products, but can be hard to find nowadays.

The same goes for the power supplies. There are several good quality PSU's on the market. Important for a quality build is that you should chose at least 80 Plus Gold rated PSU. You probably don't need a fully modular PSU, which would save you a few K baht. You'll need minimum 650Watt for Z390 rig and I would prefer 850Watt for X299.

As for the motherboard, the X299-A will do the same job as the Deluxe and save you 6K. If you think you might need 128Gb in the future you will have to go for X299 motherboard and CPU. Otherwise, i9-9900K is a kickass processor, and together with its components, will save you 20K on the final price.

Unfortunately, memory prices are still high, and it can be difficult to source high density (32GB) modules.

I am sure that the major outlets like Banana IT and JIB are available in Pattaya. Probably many more. They will get you all the needed components and should assemble it for you for no cost. The important thing is, do not accept any substitutes for the major components the shop might be pushing on you.

Last time I designed a gaming rig for a friend we went to TKcom in Palladium mall in Bangkok. They got all the components we wanted, and 2 beers later my friend had a brand new high quality mid-range gaming rig.

I'm including links to some PC shops for price comparison, unfortunately, all in Bangkok. TKom does have Asus and Creative sound cards though. You might want to call them and check if they have any outlets in Pattaya. 

http://www.tkcom99.com/index.php

https://www.busitek.com/

http://www.jedicool.com/

22 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

The cases I've included is mostly for pricing. In the end it's personal aesthetics decision, but the prices reflect what you should expect from a good quality case. Most, if not all cases have USB in front or or top. Not that many have external bays for BluRay or CD drives though. My preference is Lian Li, mainly because I like aluminum, and the quality of their products, but can be hard to find nowadays.

The same goes for the power supplies. There are several good quality PSU's on the market. Important for a quality build is that you should chose at least 80 Plus Gold rated PSU. You probably don't need a fully modular PSU, which would save you a few K baht. You'll need minimum 650Watt for Z390 rig and I would prefer 850Watt for X299.

As for the motherboard, the X299-A will do the same job as the Deluxe and save you 6K. If you think you might need 128Gb in the future you will have to go for X299 motherboard and CPU. Otherwise, i9-9900K is a kickass processor, and together with its components, will save you 20K on the final price.

Unfortunately, memory prices are still high, and it can be difficult to source high density (32GB) modules.

I am sure that the major outlets like Banana IT and JIB are available in Pattaya. Probably many more. They will get you all the needed components and should assemble it for you for no cost. The important thing is, do not accept any substitutes for the major components the shop might be pushing on you.

Last time I designed a gaming rig for a friend we went to TKcom in Palladium mall in Bangkok. They got all the components we wanted, and 2 beers later my friend had a brand new high quality mid-range gaming rig.

I'm including links to some PC shops for price comparison, unfortunately, all in Bangkok. TKom does have Asus and Creative sound cards though. You might want to call them and check if they have any outlets in Pattaya. 

http://www.tkcom99.com/index.php

https://www.busitek.com/

http://www.jedicool.com/

???? Excellent SpaceKadet ! Thanks a lot for all this advice.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:28 AM, NCC1701A said:

Yes, a Danish guy called Thomas is so helpful, both before you buy and after. Returns are no problem either.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, a Danish guy called Thomas is so helpful, both before you buy and after. Returns are no problem either.

+1

Thomas is very helpful and responds to emails quickly. They're happy to let you try something and return if it doesn't work out. I've been using InvadeIt for nearly ten years, they're not always the cheapest, but their prices aren't far off, and I don't mind paying a fraction more for the peace of mind of knowing I'll get what I ordered, and if there's a problem it can be replaced or refunded.

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

probably cheaper to buy an assembly line pc from a major manufacturer.... i7 processors with good video card and solid state hard drive loaded with ram can do about anything you need should not be  a problem

The OP has a very specific requirement, which would be difficult to find ready made. Video editing does not require a good graphics card, but a lot of RAM and processing power. Fast drives, as in NVMe,  are definitely a bonus. Additionally, he needs many USB ports, and a sound cards. At this point you're getting so far into modifying a ready assembled PC that it becomes definitely easier and cheaper building your own.

3 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

The OP has a very specific requirement, which would be difficult to find ready made. Video editing does not require a good graphics card, but a lot of RAM and processing power. Fast drives, as in NVMe,  are definitely a bonus. Additionally, he needs many USB ports, and a sound cards. At this point you're getting so far into modifying a ready assembled PC that it becomes definitely easier and cheaper building your own.

I have edited on many platforms including Avid and a strong video processor is required. 

I am not sure if InvadeIT will assemble the rig. I've picked up things at the shop couple of times, but didn't see any assembly area. The best is to email Thomas and ask. He is very helpful, as already stated, and quick to reply. He might have a deal with another shop to do assemblies. One thing to remember is that they don't stock very much, and might need 2-3 days to get everything.

I also noticed that InvadeIT have Asus and Creative sound cards. http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/sound-cards/

Archived