Bangkok Bank mobile banking app - not impressed.

Opened an account recently in light of the recent changes with the income method for retirement and have always used Kasikorn up to now and I have to say, compared to Kasikorn, I find BKK Bank's app (if it indeed it is an app, seems more like a wrap for their mobile site) very clunky, borderline terrible.

No fingerprint log-on

No cardless withdrawal option

No ability to edit amount of transfer in saved favourites

Unable to even use a saved favourite for a transfer

Trying to even do a transfer to an account was a pain.  Obviously can't s select 'Own account' as that would be to another account at BKK Bank that you own (fair enough) so, try '3rd party' and get "you don't have any 3rd parties set up, please use "Other menu", go back (and pressing the back button will try to log you out so you have to select 'Transfers' again), there is no "Other" menu?   So, then select "Account Number", let's try that option.  Managed to then do a transfer after setting it up there.  Saved that as a favourite thinking it might help.  

Today, wanted to do a transfer to the same account but different amount, selected the saved transfer, pressed 'Transfer', edited the amount at the next screen, then "Confirm" and "An error occurred".  Tried another 3 times, even once using the same amount, just to see if it was editing the amount that was causing a problem.  Nope.  "An error occurred".  Never had such a rigmarole in all the time I've used Kasikorn's app where you can just get to save the payees, not amounts.  Will try the internet banking site later to see if setting up a payee in a way that works easily is possible from there.

Might just be a systems glitch at the moment, not sure, if it isn't though, their app sucks more than I first thought.

Logged on to the banking site on the laptop.  Managed to enter a 3rd party account for my transfer to Kasikorn and after about 15 attempts I finally got it to work and proceed to the 'Send OTP' screen after entering an amount after pressing the 'Transfer now'.  Some progress!!

Looked back then at the mobile app, seems that not only are their online services called something different they are entirely different.  Online via the web it's Bualuang iBanking and via the app (designed by a 12 year IT student for a school project I think) it's Bualuang mBanking.  Fully expected the 3rd party payee I set up online via the web to be accessible via the '3rd Party' tab in the app.  Nope.  Nothing.  "You don't have any third parties - please use (the ever elusive) 'Other' Menu' that doesn't seem to exist.

Next tried their app on the iPad, set it all up, managed to input a transfer again via a VERY clunky 'Janet & John' type interface only to get hit with 'Transaction not permitted'.

I really hope there is something up with the banking systems (slightly suspected as even transfers out using Kasikorn mobile app are saying 'Service not available'), surely nobody could design an internet banking / mobile app experience that's THIS bad unless they really tried!!!

Tried to call them earlier but after waiting in the call queue (once you can get to it after progressing through the 25 IVR menus) for 30 minutes I gave up.  If their systems are this crap all the time I'll be doing a lump sum transfer out to Kasikorn every time the funds come in rather than use their internet / mobile banking.  Worst I've ever used.

UPDATE:  Seems the Kasikorn issue is not a Kasikorn issue, rather an issue with Siam Commercial Bank that I'm trying to transfer to, SCB is showing as 'Temporarily unavailable' for trying to set up a new payment.  Upon checking that I also noticed that three other banks are also showing as unavailable for creating a transaction out of Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank and GSB.  Odd, I wonder if it's banking system outages or updates that cause them to become 'unavailable'.  Will check later and tomorrow to see if they come up as available and then go through the uber clunky method of setting up payments AGAIN in the BKK apps see if they work.

Edited by SooKee

Quick update: Looks like the transfer to Kasikorn may have been down to a number of banks (Kasikorn, GSB, Bangkok and SCB) being 'offline' with regards to being able to talk to each other in respect of mobile / internet banking.  Seems to be all working now.

The design concept of the BKK Bank app is beyond me though!  How on earth you are ever supposed to add a '3rd party' payee in the mobile app to save having to enter the details every damn time is beyond me, I guess you just have to use a Favourite (if it will let you edit the amount) as it certainly doesn't pick up the 3rd parties you add via online banking.  Selecting 'Added 3rd Party' tells you you don't have any and to use an 'Other' menu that doesn't exist.  I can't see any point to the 3rd party tab being there seeing as there's no way to get it populated with anything that I can find.  Really terrible app.  Judging by the almost exclusively 1* reviews on the Play Store of late it seems that it's a commonly held view!

Edited by SooKee

Well I don't know about Kasikorn as I am not banking with them. I am banking with Bangkok Bank, SCB and Krungsri. Bangkok Bank is my "main" bank on which I am doing most of common transaction.
I have using their online banking (web) for years and only started with their mobile app (android) few months ago only or maybe 1 year.
I have 3 accounts with Bangkok Bank in 3 different branch, 2 credit cards with them. All appears very easily on the mobile app, no issue transfering between one to the other. No issue transferring to 3rd party account (whenever they are from Bangkok Bank or other banks including Kasikorn). One thing is you have to enter all the 3rd party information's the first time and OTP is required to confirm the added 3rd party. As well as the 1st 3rd party transfer.
No issue also making payment ( for example paying my Amex card).
I am also scheduling regular payment to 3rd party (same amount every month) but this was setup with the online web banking. Not sure if you can set it up directly from the mobile app.
I am not sure what you are missing here. When I started with the mobile app, I also had difficulties to find my 3rd parties or other things but now I am use to it so no issue. As I am also using mobile for SCB and Krungsri, I don't much difference. Couldn't say which one is better.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bangkok Bank's Internet banking sucks so much. Usually, their system is down at 11pm, which obviously is a normal occurance and needs no fixing at all, considering it's one of Thailand's biggest banks and we live in the 21st century. Fine. I've accepted that that's the way it is because logic...

Now, I'm trying to log in at 1:30am. Same problem. The website doesn't load, so I have to wait for possibly half an hour before I can use it. 

Seriously, what's wrong with them? If you're a startup with a limited budget, I'd completely understand. But you are a bigggggggg ass bank. Jesus Christ.

• Like 1

Been using Bangkok Bank's online BuaLuang system since it was invented and an earlier investor in their mobile app. I consider that since BuaLuang pre-dated the app, a lot of the former's limited functionality needed to be supported by the app. Accordingly, I have found 3rd party accounts and other payees that are already set up in BuaLuang appear in the app and I can use either. If I suddenly need to add an ad-hoc 3rd party and I am only have access to the app, then the PromptPay function is excellent but needs the payee to have registered their mobile number with their bank account which only takes them a few seconds using the app.

I think it was only a few years ago that most Kasikorn customers were lamenting how K banks whole online presence was a mediocre joke compared to BB's.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi all sorry to bring this old thread back up again. Anyone else finding that if you do not use the Bangkok Bank mobile app or i-banking every 3 days that your PIN expires?

I have had to reset my PIN twice and logged in within 3 days of changing it in order to make sure that my PIN does not expire, however after that I then didn't check my banking app until around a week later and my PIN expired....

13 minutes ago, mezpow said:

Hi all sorry to bring this old thread back up again. Anyone else finding that if you do not use the Bangkok Bank mobile app or i-banking every 3 days that your PIN expires?

I have had to reset my PIN twice and logged in within 3 days of changing it in order to make sure that my PIN does not expire, however after that I then didn't check my banking app until around a week later and my PIN expired....

Nope, not something that's happened to me. Is there a setting somewhere to set the PIN expiry time?

EDIT Are you completing the registration process? This page certainly mentions a PIN expiring after 3 days https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-iBanking/How-To-Apply but it's the initial registration PIN that goes bye-bye.

It's been a very long time since I did it, but IIRC you have to log on via the website (not the app) in order to activate everything properly.

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Nope, not something that's happened to me. Is there a setting somewhere to set the PIN expiry time?

Same to me. No expiry.

Just opened it and no problem.

Last use much longer than 3 days ago.

Did a quick search for setting an "expiry time" to no avail.

If only I could remember how the exact registration process was...

Unfortunately can't.

Are you sure that your registration is complete and you do not use a temporary PIN/TAN?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 6:26 PM, SooKee said:

Quick update: Looks like the transfer to Kasikorn may have been down to a number of banks (Kasikorn, GSB, Bangkok and SCB) being 'offline' with regards to being able to talk to each other in respect of mobile / internet banking.  Seems to be all working now.

The design concept of the BKK Bank app is beyond me though!  How on earth you are ever supposed to add a '3rd party' payee in the mobile app to save having to enter the details every damn time is beyond me, I guess you just have to use a Favourite (if it will let you edit the amount) as it certainly doesn't pick up the 3rd parties you add via online banking.  Selecting 'Added 3rd Party' tells you you don't have any and to use an 'Other' menu that doesn't exist.  I can't see any point to the 3rd party tab being there seeing as there's no way to get it populated with anything that I can find.  Really terrible app.  Judging by the almost exclusively 1* reviews on the Play Store of late it seems that it's a commonly held view!

I use promptpay and then send via phone number. You can then choose the contact from your phone contact list. The contact need to have already registered with promptpay. Hope this help. 

Edited by Tayaout

5 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I use promptpay and then send via phone number. You can then choose the contact from your phone contact list. The contact need to have already registered with promptpay. Hope this help. 

No need to do this.  You've replied to an old post and the functionality described is now available.

• 8 months later...

I have one account with Bank and that's my entire local banking existence. I have the same experience as the original post. I have since read the instructions and it is clear that if you add a new 3rd party account using iBanking it is not available on mBanking. You can not add a 3rd party acute using mBanking, so the only account available under 3rd party are those from back in early days when they did update to mBanking. You can not add and save a new account on mBanking, they suggest you use save/favourite but as detailed in this thread, you can not change the amount. The result is that you can not add and save a new 3rd party account to transfer to in mBanking, you have to enter the account details every time you do a transfer to that account, it won't even let you copy paste the account number, you must type it again. This means you have to record the 3rd party account number somewhere you can refer to every time you make a transfer to that account, because you will need to enter the number using the numeric keyboard displayed every time. I can not find any way to save an account for future use in mBanking. My solution is to keep a list of account numbers and payee names on a piece of paper so I can refer to them and enter them each time I need to do a transfer. It seems somewhere we have lost sight of the purpose of this technology, was it not in part to make our lives easier through improving efficiency and simplifying processing. Surely sending money to another account  is the most basic functionality of any mobile banking app. It is hard to believe BBank does not allow accounts to be saved and used again in future on their mobile banking app. If anyone knows of a way to do this then please post a reply.

This is from BBank website:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-iBanking/3rd-Party-and-Payee-Accounts

3rd Party Accounts and Payee Accounts

Please be informed that 3rd Party Accounts and Payee Accounts added in Bualuang iBanking will not be displayed on Bualuang mBanking from May 4, 2020 onwards.

However, you can still make a transfer or payment conveniently as usual via Bualuang mBanking: 

• Transfer up to 2,000,000 baht by entering the account number on the mBanking application without needing to add an account on Bualuang iBanking before transferring. You can adjust your transfer limit for Bualuang mBanking by visiting any Bangkok Bank branch.
  • Pay your bills more easily by scanning barcodes / QR codes
  • Save your frequent transfers or payments as favorites to make your future transactions quicker
  • Sad 1