Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

At Chaengwattana BKK, IME, they usually require the bank book to be updated the same day you apply...

Seems a bit harsh, but still doable I would think.............Phuket allows the previous day bank info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Just think how much easier it would be for Immigration if they started up their own Thai Immigration Bank (TIB)!!! All 800K and income from abroad for extensions would be required to be done at that bank. For all the extension accounts: No ATMs, withdrawals only allowed between midnight and 1 am, with passport and certification fees mandatory for each transaction!  

Better still. Why not the IO act as proxy and issue perpetual bonds ( only redeemable when you cut your stay in thailand) to you all to buy ( interest already built in) guaranteed by the head of immigration. That would be a tidy sum to him. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

I can't forgive the embassies because nothing I have seen from anyone claims that Thai Immigration threatened to refuse to accept the embassy income letters.  As a matter of fact, all embassies that continued the letter are accepted.  The move by the "unilateral four" in stopping the letters was an unforced error that those country's citizens now have to deal with.  They were ill-served to say the very least.  Unilateral action is usually not considered the height of effective diplomacy.

I understand what you're saying.  I ain't happy with it and initially thought the US Embassy might have show a bit more grit.  

But to say USE chucked the Income Affidavit service all on their own, without any instigation from the Thais, doesn't ring true.  That would entail a conspiracy, weaving a story spanning months, and publicly accusing the Thais of instigating the whole thing.  Thais wouldn't stand for such a false, public defamation, but there was no denial or clarification from them  Not a peep, until a revised/supplemental Police Order confirming the change from their side.

This is all part and parcel of what appears to be a broad effort to clean up the Immigration cess pool - at least the low hanging fruit.      They've been after serial border runners and abuses of the TV/Exempt program for quite some time already.  Ed Visas shams.  Big sweep operations, Good Guys in, Bad Guys out, No Tipping, etc, etc.,   All the front line staff at my Immigration has been changed out in one fell swoop.  People ran their suck holes about the pliable Affidavit system for too long, so there's that one done.   And now they're going after one aspect of the agent fraud system, which is exactly what they said they were going to do.

Writing's on the wall.  Sometimes things are as they appear.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

Immigration should introduce an easier process for the mariage extention.

Most people living in Thailand for years are married and do the 50yo extention only because the process WAS much easier.

If you are married and living in Thailand for X years and have a total assets of Y millions bahts (including the assets of your wife: house, condo, cars etc...), isn't it enough to prove that you are a "good" farang ? Why provide photos of your intimate life, bank account, bring a thai witness, have a final interview etc .. ? They should make things easier for those who have a normal life for years !

I remember that 10 years ago, they did some "surprise" visits to the married visa just in case they had a doubt about some cheaters. Why did they stop that practice ? No problem for me they can come at my home whenever they want. And they could do exactly the same thing for the 50yo visa when they have a doubt. That will be the end of the cheaters and everybody will win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

They could but what are they going to do to punish you for not having 400K in there all year?   Refuse your next extension I guess.   But surely they would want to punish people who don't follow the rules immediately, not 9 months after the fact.

As always a poorly thought out system.

Similar punishment as for overstayers. Staggered level of blacklisting .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Sounds almost impossible to be true but it does look like BJ is attempting to close the door on agents without actually going after corrupt IO'S and arresting them

This way the agents will just dissappear if a second trip to prove $ in your account is needed

Agents will just ply a one stop shop encompassing the 3 months  after extension period charging more for the effort and the customer will just pay and pay and pay until they finally give up paying and buy a plane ticket out which altimately is the goal of the project.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot suggesting these new orders will increase corruption through agents.

If you can meet the 40K or 65K per month income method deposited in a Thai bank, you don't need an agent.

If you can meet the 400K or 800K deposited in a Thai bank, you don't need an agent.

If you can meet the combination of 400K deposited in a Thai bank and 400K income deposits in a Thai bank, you don't need an agent.

If you meet the financial requirements in any category, but for personal reasons use an agent, there is no corruption.

So we are mentioning the few who cannot meet any of the financial requirements, who are forced to use an agent and are subject to corruption, of which they are the least able to afford it. It also beggars the question just how many Immigrations offices have agencies serving in that Province, again a small percentage I would guess.

The corruption allegations are probably limited to certain Provinces and not widespread, or indeed making multitudes of tea money after being divided and the hierarchy getting their portion. Too much is being made of these allegations in my opinion.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. However, you could be wrong.

My experience with CM Immigration, over about 8 years, is as follows ( using an agent )

Up until last year, my extensions at CM were a breeze - about 30 minutes usually.

Last year, the head of CM Immigration was removed from his post. My extension in November took nearly 2 hours. Heaven knows how long it took for those without an agent. The officer looking over my bank statements did so very carefully.

From that, I am drawing the conclusion the days of IO's getting bribes to overlook deficiencies in extension applications could be over.

draw away and in CM without Assist ance you would be correct 

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

sorry, I lived there for 2 years, not a chance in hell would I live there again.  But, the visa's are easier..........it's just easier to die in Cambodia than Thailand.

and Philippines too. Beware the kidnappers... farang stand out like a torch in darkness and amplify $$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I get two pensions paid monthly into my Thai Bank account but at the moment in total they fall short of 65K baht. So can I transfer the shortfall to my Thai bank on a monthly basis, thereby covering the 65K and some??

Yes.

There is no limitation on the number of monthly transfers into your Thai bank account.

The stipulation is it must be a total minimum income of 65K per month, transferred from overseas.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

I can't forgive the embassies because nothing I have seen from anyone claims that Thai Immigration threatened to refuse to accept the embassy income letters.  As a matter of fact, all embassies that continued the letter are accepted.  The move by the "unilateral four" in stopping the letters was an unforced error that those country's citizens now have to deal with.  They were ill-served to say the very least.  Unilateral action is usually not considered the height of effective diplomacy.

This really started in Chiang Mai last year when they started asking awkward question of income letter supported applicants from USA like;

Ok, we see the letter, now show me the money!

• Like 1

Why?
Just put the 800 k in an account and forget about it until you leave this place.
Your Elite Visa money is gone for ever.
Talk about a bad investment....
Oh I agree [emoji106] but I'm talking about the level of wealth that allows them to buy a 5 million USA DOLLARS condo in the Q condo Nana bts.

The elite visa is still going for good reason as it's loose change for many

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Why?

Just put the 800 k in an account and forget about it until you leave this place.

Again depends upon the expats’s  age and wealth disposal infinity. 

Some people spent vast amounts of money on their rent ladies..money down the tube literally. 

Different strokes for different people. Who knows. Maybe some expats think it is money well spent and the best decision they ever make in Thailand. Maybe the cost is small beer to them. 

My girlfriend is only in the low 30’s so she would make good use of the 20 years visa ( her sisters are in Thailand too) even if I am gone. 

Me? I am a hard nose business who fly budget if he can so I will certainly stick to the 800,000 baht route when I want to retire. ????

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, madmen said:

Remember we are talking about those that are struggling. Paying 50 k a year would have a big impact on a family with kids.

The guys that were paying agents for convenience are not going to pay double IMO. There is a point where common sense kicks in.

The wealthy expats just buy an elite visa.

Most good agents do not offer a convenience service

they do not have the time to do so

they won't stand in line or hand hold for persons who can do it themselves but are too lazy . dumb or both to do it themselves

That is the domain of the bottom feeders

17 hours ago, pookiki said:

Ubon Joe,  I didn't wade through all the pages before writing this. Is a two-tier system still alive and well for those who can get embassy letters?

When someone successfully uses the 'combo' method, please report it here as soon as possible!

I did a combination method on Monday.

English,  so I had a letter from the BE.

My 90 day report is due 20th February, shame it is'nt co-ordinated with the extension.

C'est la vie.

Most good agents do not offer a convenience service
they do not have the time to do so
they won't stand in line or hand hold for persons who can do it themselves but are too lazy . dumb or both to do it themselves
That is the domain of the bottom feeders
?some People pay 20k for the convieinace. Agent doesn't care what you call his service

16 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Why?

Any ideas how to get the 800k out of a Thai bank if you ever leave.....  not your idea but the legal way to get it back to the UK.

second point,  you talk bad about an Elite, it is guaranteed,  the 800k may change every year on the whim of Immigration, with extra worries

If you are over 75  Elite is Ideal, a younger person a no go.

2 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I did a combination method on Monday.

English,  so I had a letter from the BE.

My 90 day report is due 20th February, shame it is'nt co-ordinated with the extension.

C'est la vie.

The 90 day report can be done 15 days early or 7 days late (including due date) so the dates could be time shifted over a few reports to get them coordinated

Psimbo Post 27 - 19 hours ago:-

"I reckon there will be 20 pages on this by tomorrow though- all speculation and rhetoric."

Classic case of under estimation - now 78 and counting!

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

What about para 6, those who have been in Thailand 10+ years. Is this is a better deal than the norm if you are over 60? (You only need 200k in the bank and no stipulation that the funds are kept for 3 months after or any mention of a lower amount after that).

Don't understand the 'fixed income with fund', does this mean you must have income AND have the funds in the bank or is this just badly worded as the second condition deals with income of only 20,000?

• Confused 2