Why Do Thais Like Mixing Whiskey With Too Much Soda Water?

thai_narak

i prefer beer more than whisky and for me putting ice on the beer is a crime. but again, why thais mix too much soda water with whiskey? i cannot taste the whiskey when they mix soda in it or maybe i have a problem with my taste buds?

what do you guys think about this?

i think you asked a stupid question as it's none of your freaking business.

i prefer beer more than whisky and for me putting ice on the beer is a crime. but again, why thais mix too much soda water with whiskey? i cannot taste the whiskey when they mix soda in it or maybe i have a problem with my taste buds?

i think you asked a stupid question as it's none of your freaking business.

:)

Call me a whisky snob, but I don't really believe most of what the average Thai clubber drinks really counts as whisky, at least not that you would want to drink by itself for the taste. Benmore is cheap and ok for clubbing and whisky-like, but blended into tastelessness anyway- the soda and ice just stretch it further. I've never fancied any variety of Johnny Walker... 100 Pipers is like going halfway- it almost is like whisky, but not really, so why bother?

I guess what I'm saying is that taste isn't the point of what they sell in most of the Thai clubs, so soda seems fine with it. Whenever I doing any serious whiskey drinking anyway, the amount isn't the point (it would be an unusual evening to get through more than 5-6 drinks of different varieties). Wouldn't work well for the venues here.

Oh, by the way- topic moved to a more suitable forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, this could be considered the norm. But not all delute to the point of distiction with soda......ever observe how Thais devour beer? As a rule, they take it quickly not allowiing it to linger and lose the taste and potency.

Sure, this could be considered the norm. But not all delute to the point of distiction with soda......ever observe how Thais devour beer? As a rule, they take it quickly not allowiing it to linger and lose the taste and potency.

Ever tasted Thai beer (Cheers,Archa,Leo etc)?

The Thais may be smarter than we think.

Somehow the words Thai beer and taste dont I feel belong in the same sentance.

I noticed very early when I came to Thailand, and went out with several Thai friends, that every 1-2 minutes one of the people around the table lifteted his glass and said cheers.

One can imagine when we were 6-7 people around a table.

Or even worse, when some other friends stopped by and we suddenly had 9-10 people starting to do the same.

I felt like I was drinking constantly.

No wonder the drinks were "watered" out.

However, when going out with just 1 or 2 friends, we normally drink the wiskey with just a tad water, or only with ice.

Remembering that beer drinking amongst Thai is a reletively new sport, as beer was generally to dear to consume on a regular basis - this market has changed obviously. They just never developed as to what might be considered as beer drinking standard. But even amongst Western circles, some are taken back at the idea that some Euro-types can enjoy room temperature beer instead of the standard frosty one.