Mercedes crossover a perfect fit for wilds of the city

rooster59

Mercedes crossover a perfect fit for wilds of the city

By Kingsley Wijayasinha 
The Nation Weekend

bb960d46e57bfb66a58d2fdc45549be0-sld.jpeg

The Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC crossover impresses with versatility of the SUV and road dynamics of a sportscar – and for not too much Baht

Luxury crossovers have gained tremendous popularity in recent decades as they responded to the changing lifestyles of consumers.

While markets like the United States have for years seen passenger cars increasingly lose out to the more versatile lifestyle vehicles, the trend is now catching up in Thailand though not yet to the same degree.

Mercedes-Benz is the current leader in the Thai luxury car market, and the company has a lot to offer in this segment.

The German automaker assembles a large number of models at its Thonburi Automotive Assembly Plant (TAAP) in Samut Prakarn, including the GLC 43 4MATIC that is sold under the Mercedes-AMG performance sub-brand.

With local assembly, Mercedes has been able to lower retail pricing significantly when compared to equivalent imports. With the GLC 43, the price tag is Bt4.73 million.

The GLC is the first AMG model in the midsize SUV segment, and one of a new breed of crossovers that offer both the versatility of SUVs and the road dynamics of passenger cars. Unfortunately, off-roading isn’t something you want to do in this type of vehicle.

Compared to the standard GLC, the GLC 43 gets special AMG treatment for both the exterior and interior. Apart from the front and rear AMG aprons, aluminium side steps and sports exhaust, it also carries 21-inch alloy wheels with low-profile tyres that are designed for sporty, rather than rugged, driving.

The cabin features sports seats with red seatbelts, carbon fibre trim and a flat-bottomed multi-function steering wheel. There’s enough space for the occupants and the materials are top-notch, but don’t expect as much luggage space as found in conventional SUVs – due to the rear-end design.

You get a full infotainment package, including a Burmester sound system that sounds really good, particularly at the mid- and high-frequency ranges.

What many people love best about the GLC 43 is the sheer driving performance. The same 3.0-litre bi-turbo V6 used in the C 43 Coupe produces 367 horsepower and 520Nm of torque to propel it from 0-100km/h in just 4.9 seconds. That’s truly sportscar performance.

The power is transmitted to all wheels via a sporty nine-speed automatic and the 4MATIC all-wheel-drive system, which sends 31 per cent of forces to the front wheels and 69 per cent to the rear.

The AMG DYNAMIC SELECT switch allows you to choose from five drive programmes, and AMG RIDE CONTROL lets drivers choose from three damping adjustments.

The AMG-tuned gearbox offers lots of fun, with a double-declutching function during downshifts. When the Sport Plus mode is selected, shift times are shorter and crisper. There are shift paddles for sporty driving, and the transmission stays in the selected gear and doesn’t shift up even when the maximum engine speed is reached.

The variable ratio steering in the GLC 43 is sharper than you’d think during the first half-turn. It gives the GLC 43 lots of nimbleness when driving in the city. The steering weight is also nice, both at low and high speeds.

The front 4-link and rear 5-link suspension is based on AIR BODY CONTROL, and provides a nice ride quality along with loads of grip on the road when working with its all-wheel-drive system. It’s pretty easy to drive the GLC 43 fast, despite its weight and size, thanks to serious AMG tuning.

Stopping power for the 1.8-tonne GLC 43 comes from 360mm perforated discs up front with 4-piston calipers, plus 320mm discs at the rear.

There’s a long list of safety features, as well as Distance Pilot DISTRONIC that maintains a safe distance when running with cruise control and Active Parking Assist.

It’s true that the Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC may not be a capable off-roader that’s going to wade through rivers in the wild – look elsewhere if you need that.

But for a crossover for use in the city and for driving upcountry, it is surely one of the sportiest you can get, and with pretty good pricing too.

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupe specs

Engine: V6 24-valve with twin turbochargers

Displacement: 2,996cc

Bore and stroke: 88.2x82.1mm

Compression ratio: n/a

Max power: 367ps/5,500-6,000rpm

Max torque: 520Nm/2,500-4,500rpm

Transmission: 9-speed automatic

0-100kmh: 4.9 secs

Top speed: 250 km/h

Average fuel economy: 12.0 km/litre

Average CO2: 189g/km

Suspension (f/r): multi-link/multi-link

Steering: powered rack-and-pinion

Turning circle: 12.1 metres

Brakes (f/r): vented disc/vented disc

Dimensions (mm)

Length: 4,727

Width: 1,930

Height: 1,586

Wheelbase: 2,873

Track (f/r): n/a

Weight: 1,845 kgs

Wheels: 21-inch alloy

Tires: 255/4- ZR21 (front), 285/35 ZR21 (rear)

Fuel tank capacity: 66 litres

Price: Bt4.73 million

Distributor: Mercedes-Benz (Thailand) Ltd

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-02

Wow at B4.73m  that's approximately 4 x Honda CRV at B1.2m each  or   3 x  Fortuna at B1.5m  each,  give or take.

The value some folks put on a badge is just amazing   :crying:

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Wow at B4.73m  that's approximately 4 x Honda CRV at B1.2m each  or   3 x  Fortuna at B1.5m  each,  give or take.

I rather buy 1 good quality Daimler instead of 3 Fortuners

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC crossover impresses with versatility of the SUV and road dynamics of a sportscar – and for not too much Baht

This post is premature. Mercedes have just released a new edition/model (should be coming to Thailand soon) for the GLC, this post should reflect the new series.

I have the GLC250d, it's different as I have the standard engine

I don't see a lot of value in the 43, 45, 63, 65 Benz models, seems to be a hell of a lot more money for an increase in horsepower. My 250 is ample for around town. Saying that, I would love to have the option to open the exhaust valves on the twin turbo V8 model (a switch on the dash), it is proper hooligan driving mode.

14 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Indeed - but in this case the value is in the engine too... (which based on HP is taxed excessively in Thailand)... There are not many SUV's which can go 0-100kmh in less than 8 seconds... this one does it in 4.9 seconds..... 

A few years ago - this would have been the car I choose - just for the Grunt... and then of course for the premium branding.

These days I'm kind of over the flashy cars and no longer desire anything more than what can get me from A to B comfortably and for a reasonable price...

So.. for that price, I'd probably go with a Mazda CX-5 (1.75mb), a Mazda 2 (top model about 750kb), a Scooter (Yamaha TriCity 155cc / 100kb) and a decent motorcycle (BMW F850GS 615kb)......  and still have change for a couple of good holidays and school fees for my son !!!!!.... 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

These days I'm kind of over the flashy cars and no longer desire anything more than what can get me from A to B comfortably and for a reasonable price...

So.. for that price, I'd probably go with a Mazda CX-5 (1.75mb), a Mazda 2 (top model about 750kb), a Scooter (Yamaha TriCity 155cc / 100kb) and a decent motorcycle (BMW F850GS 615kb)......  and still have change for a couple of good holidays and school fees for my son !!!!!.... 

I'm with you on your comments.

4.73 million baht. I find this ridiculous for a toy that will cost a lot to insure and maintain as it gradually depreciates to negligible value.

All I see is a great opportunity to appear rich by driving with that badge displayed.

"Look at me, I'm Hiso" (Hiso wannabe).

i only drive beat up trucks now. no high tax rubbish for me. thailand aint expensive car friendly. Used to have expensive vehicles here and the petrol station attendants would lean on spoilers, rub keys up and down the car whilst hanging from there belts, stupid moron buffed the back of my car with a worn bufffer ripping all the paint off, soi dogs in the front fearing, etc, etc...

driven many mercs but its just a statement that i dont endorse so wont waste my time.

17 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

i only drive beat up trucks now. no high tax rubbish for me. thailand aint expensive car friendly. Used to have expensive vehicles here and the petrol station attendants would lean on spoilers, rub keys up and down the car whilst hanging from there belts, stupid moron buffed the back of my car with a worn bufffer ripping all the paint off, soi dogs in the front fearing, etc, etc...

driven many mercs but its just a statement that i dont endorse so wont waste my time.

The more expensive the vehicle the better chance someone will try to steal it. A beat up truck sounds good to me.  ????   

25 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

The more expensive the vehicle the better chance someone will try to steal it. A beat up truck sounds good to me.  ????   

Not really so in Thailand... 

Vehicles targeted for theft are those which are easily sold over the borders... 

And, of-course, those which are easier to steel - less advanced anti-theft tech.

Add in the 'hi-so' factor... the more expensive the car, the more connected the person who owns it, the greater the risk of higher penalties.

Realistically, there isn't much car theft in Thailand... Other than being told a few years ago that honda (CRV's) were the most stolen car in Thailand (for resale over the border) I have not actually heard of anyone having their car stollen here. 

I guess that only cheap charlies who never owned a German cars car keep repeating that we buy them only for a badge... Just check the ridiculous engines that all these jap cars have and laugh. But yes, maybe if I was poor and/or old, I would find these ridiculous jap cars enough. But sorry, I still have a face and style !

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not really so in Thailand... 

Vehicles targeted for theft are those which are easily sold over the borders... 

And, of-course, those which are easier to steel - less advanced anti-theft tech.

Add in the 'hi-so' factor... the more expensive the car, the more connected the person who owns it, the greater the risk of higher penalties.

Realistically, there isn't much car theft in Thailand... Other than being told a few years ago that honda (CRV's) were the most stolen car in Thailand (for resale over the border) I have not actually heard of anyone having their car stollen here. 

True, benz with electronics parked anywhere in Thailand, and nobody would even approach it !

1 hour ago, myshem said:

I guess that only cheap charlies who never owned a German cars car keep repeating that we buy them only for a badge... Just check the ridiculous engines that all these jap cars have and laugh. But yes, maybe if I was poor and/or old, I would find these ridiculous jap cars enough. But sorry, I still have a face and style !

So you buy German cars, not because of the badge, but because you have too much face to by a Japanese car?  ????

On 2/2/2019 at 11:28 AM, Rimmer said:

Not really - it's just a matter of perspective. 

There's people that would need to take a 3 year loan to buy a Honda CRV. There's also people that could buy one a month. There's people that could buy several a month.

From your perspective 4.7m is a lot of money and you compare it to the cost of a CRV. From someone else's perspective 4.7m is less than 2 months income.

I see where you are coming from but other people are coming from a place where the performance of this AMG is on par with a much more expensive Porsche and is a relative bargain.

7 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Not really - it's just a matter of perspective. 

There's people that would need to take a 3 year loan to buy a Honda CRV. There's also people that could buy one a month. There's people that could buy several a month.

From your perspective 4.7m is a lot of money and you compare it to the cost of a CRV. From someone else's perspective 4.7m is less than 2 months income.

I see where you are coming from but other people are coming from a place where the performance of this AMG is on par with a much more expensive Porsche and is a relative bargain.

Good point but given that I can not buy one Merc SUV every month but could buy one every year I still would not, I would also not buy a Ferrari a Porsche a BMW an Apple computer or a Gucchi handbag, as I am not impressed by high prices and badge engineered product, I need something that is safe reliable and comfortable ergo we have two Honda CRVs  :smile:

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Good point but given that I can not buy one Merc SUV every month but could buy one every year I still would not, I would also not buy a Ferrari a Porsche a BMW an Apple computer or a Gucchi handbag, as I am not impressed by high prices and badge engineered product, I need something that is safe reliable and comfortable ergo we have two Honda CRVs  :smile:

A Gucchi Handbag.?.

Archived