My Backup Drive Is A Mess-

bino

I use an 80 GB hard disk for my backups, and I've almost filled it up. I need to do some spring cleaning.

My problem is that out of sheer laziness, I have just dragged the "My Documents" folder over to he backup disk each time, and given it a new name. For example, BackupFeb06, BackupApr06, Backup Jaon07, and so forth.

I know that in many cases each of these folders will have the same files copied, and I have wasted a lot of space this way.

I'm looking for a good program to help me clean all the un-needed / duplicate cr*p. Something that will find all the duplicate files on the disk and let me view them to determine which ones should be tossed. Can anyone suggest a software that will help? Prefer a free or shareware, but if something is highly recommended I'm not above spending a few bucks.

Also- my bookmarks list has become huge, and it is a slow, tedious process to use the built in "Organize Bookmarks" feature of IE. Can anyone recommend a software tha will help me out here?

Too complicated. Check out SyncToy, a free download from MS. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/d...to/synctoy.mspx

I agree Phil. That is SyncToy is one handy utility that Microsoft is giving away for free. And it is exactly what the OP is asking for, wheras my recommendation might be considered overkill.

However, for a complete backup solution, I have to stick with my original recommendation. Acronis will get a user back up and running from a complete system crash in very short order. And using the configuration wizard, setting it to do the required backups is elegantly simple.

For finding duplicate files, I have been using CloneSpy for many years. It's a freeware. I'm going to give tywais' 2 programs a try too. :D

And I, yours. :o What I like about the first one I mentioned is the flexibility in setting criteria for the search. For example, you can set to look by filename only, file size only, file dates, CRC checks, extensions or combinations of these.