Biometric passports needed to stop foreign pickpockets preying on tourists

webfact

36 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

I agree, many  country around Thailand use fingerprints readers.  Even if the fingerprints are not in the biometric passport, Immigration have a records on them and if someone else use the passport  they can investigate this person. Same if the person change his or her name and come back, They will know.

Rubbish. I have NEVER had my fingerprints taken in my life by anyone, UK or THailand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibear said:

Do the biometrics at point of entry that's what most countries do now, Singapore (fingerprint) UK (handprint), but then again that would be too much work for the smiling immigration crew to handle in between putting twenty different stamps everywhere!!

What are you talking about 'UK (handprint)?

8 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Bio metric passports would be useless unless whatever they contained was checked on arrival. So as has been said why doesn't Thailand just do its own checks and then share its list of bad guys? 

Can you imagine the queues at airport Immigrations if they had to take or check f'prints of every passenger.

34 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Can you imagine the queues at airport Immigrations if they had to take or check f'prints of every passenger.

As I posted earlier, this is what Prawit specifically said was going to happen by August last year.

But we now know it was a lie. Nothing has happened at all.

Not even news any more when he lies is it?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Biometric passports was the way to go in the future to give the authorities a helping hand in the fight against this kind of crime, he said. 

I didn't see the connection between biometric passports and pickpockets established in that article.  Just see the statement that it will solve the problem without any examples of how. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Hmmm!  Article suggests that every pickpocket in Thailand is a foreigner, which I have to dispute. The locals have shown themselves to be more than adept at a bit of theft when the opportunity arises. There are many things the cops could be doing to help reduce this sort of crime, of which foreigners having a biometric passport, is a pretty long way down the list.

There are 66 +- Thais. I don't know the number of "foreigners" in-country at any given time. Based on numbers, it would seem that there are more home-grown crooks around than the imported variety. Of course, there are those that discount any local could resort to criminal activity.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Not many tourist learn Thai before their 2 week holiday.

All Thai students have approximately six yours of English Language education.

Do you think there could be a problem with this education that needs addressing ?

The wife has just got a new Thai passport that is supposed to have the bio-metrics in it but I cannot find a chip like in my Aus passport. But the Aus immigration require new bios for every new visa application. Is there a problem with the bios in passports.

6 minutes ago, cracker1 said:
25 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

All Thai students have approximately six yours of English Language education.

Do you think there could be a problem with this education that needs addressing ?

"years of English"

I'd suggest it could well be "six hours of English", given the level of competence we tend to encounter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Katipo said:

This is a bit of a non-starter. There is no way Thailand can force another nation to adopt a particular type of passport. What they can do however, is have biometric readers such as fingerprint scanners at immigration. Some other countries already do this.

Recent reports confirm they have already started to do this. 

• Like 1

Just Thailand fulfilling its obligations to the "globalist agenda" sure they will be justly rewarded (or ignored!) :wink:

Cashless society next? then they can maximise taxes? ????

Self driven cars, then .................. ????

20 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I have a brand new UK Passport issued in July 2018. Does it have biometrics on the chip? Rubbish, I never had my fingerprints or iris scan EVER taken in my life.

Biometrics include many form of body measurements, not just finger-prints. These can and often include height, eye colour, and even photos.

FIngerprint scanners are a form of biometric reader that can provide an additional security function at borders crossings, outside of what is on your passport. If the Thai Government decided to scan fingerprints when people come and go, it will make it extremely difficult for unwanteds to slip by with a changed appearance or name, even if they also change their passport.

2 minutes ago, Katipo said:

Biometrics include many form of body measurements, not just finger-prints. These can and often include height, eye colour, and even photos.

FIngerprint scanners are a form of biometric reader that can provide an additional security function at borders crossings, outside of what is on your passport. If the Thai Government decided to scan fingerprints when people come and go, it will make it extremely difficult for unwanteds to slip by with a changed appearance or name, even if they also change their passport.

I just Googled asking what biometric details UK Passport has on the chip. It says distances between eyes, nose, mouth and ears taken off the low resolution photo I supplied, of which there is a jpg copy on the chip.

My PD, pupillary distance, is 80mm. On my passport photo it is 8mm, ie 10 x smaller. I do not believe that the details on the biometric chip can be very accurate.

Do you suggest that when an IO puts my passport in his reader at Swampy, he can tell if my PD is 78 or 82. Or that when my Passport was issued in Liverpool, they could measure that PD to within 100th of a mm. No. Well that's MY opinion, I may be right, I may be wrong.