Seeking Feedback on Non-O Retirement Visa Process

First, thanks for all the time and effort everyone puts into posting here.  I've read as many threads as I could until my head started swim. 

Here's my scenario:  American, 50s, enough money to put 800,000 baht into a Thai bank.  Girlfriend is a Thai government school teacher if that helps.

I really don't want to deal with getting the Non-OA here in the States.  I live a long way away from any of the consulates that will do a Non-OA and sending it by mail seems like a long shot.  Maybe I'm wrong about this.  If so, please correct me.

Would this work?

- Arrive in Bangkok on a 30 day visa exemption.  Then extend that for 30 days.  (In lieu of that get a 60 day tourist visa and extend that 30 days.) 

- Open a Thai bank account

- Transfer in required baht via Transferwise into a Thai bank

- Let the money sit for 30 days (question on whether that is enough time) then 15 days before the extension of exemption expires apply for a Non-O 90 day visa.  If that is not enough time for the money to have seasoned in the bank then travel around the region and come back into Thailand after, say, 30 or 60 days, get another visa exemption and apply for the Non-O then.

- At least 15 days before the 90 day Non-O expires apply for a one year multiple entry retirement extension.  While doing that get a multiple re-entry permit. 

- Then report every 90 days and annually extend the Non-O as long into the future as possible. 

Is that feasible?  If not, why not?

Thanks

Possible glitches.

1) Some USA guys have problems getting a local bank account without a 1 year visa, your GF may help there.

2) To get the Non-O you have to show 800k from overseas, Transferwise transfers do not always show up as International.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Possible glitches.

1) Some USA guys have problems getting a local bank account without a 1 year visa, your GF may help there.

2) To get the Non-O you have to show 800k from overseas, Transferwise transfers do not always show up as International.

Thanks, I didn't read where the funds had to be shown as from overseas.   What are some other options for transferring the money? 

4 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

Thanks, I didn't read where the funds had to be shown as from overseas.   What are some other options for transferring the money? 

That requirement is for the Non-O conversion side of it, where no seasoning is required.

I am not from USA so the system may vary. In my case a SWIFT transfer from my UK bank directly to my Thai Bank always shows as an International transfer (It arrives in Pounds Sterling too). You may be able to generate proof from the USA end too. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Many people have successfully applied for the OA visa by mail. Just make sure you have all the supporting documents done correctly. If there is a problem they will contact you to about it and allow you correct the problem and send them what is needed.

Where are you located in the states?

As said the problem may be opening your bank account. But girl friend may be able to help. She could act as a reference to open the account and if you go to a bank where she has an account it can be even easier.

Also there is not guarantee using transferwise that it will be shown as a international transfer (most are shown as domestic transfers). It is mandatory that the you have proof the funds came from abroad to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration.

See the requirements here (click Eng at the top of the page to change it from Thai). https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

I'm in Wyoming.  I'll take another look into the OA from here.  My consulate would be the LA consulate which comes with mixed reviews.  I'll also look into the SWIFT transfers.  As I recall the banks I have near me don't transfer money to Thailand (i.e. Wells Fargo). 

4 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

I'm in Wyoming.  I'll take another look into the OA from here.  My consulate would be the LA consulate which comes with mixed reviews.  I'll also look into the SWIFT transfers.  As I recall the banks I have near me don't transfer money to Thailand (i.e. Wells Fargo). 

Reports I have seen is that the LA consulate is very helpful and quickly responds to emails.

I think I have read reports of members using Well Fargo for transfers to here. Before sending the money be sure they do not use a correspondent bank here or it may show it as a domestic transfer.

Ubon, if the OP obtained his non o in say Vientiane, do the funds need to be shown as coming from o/s. When I did it many years ago it didn't seem important. If that's the case the op could enter on VE or setv open his bank ac transfer funds go to nearby country that's suits and obtain a non o.

1 hour ago, Slosheroni said:

- Arrive in Bangkok on a 30 day visa exemption.  Then extend that for 30 days.  (In lieu of that get a 60 day tourist visa and extend that 30 days.) 

You still have to visit or mail your passport to a Thai Embassy or consulate to get a 60-day tourist visa.   If you have the funds, a clean criminal and medical report, you might as well get an non-immigrant OA visa. 

- Open a Thai bank account

Without a 1-year visa, you will probably have to pay for a Thai bank account.  You may be required to buy insurance from the bank or pay an agent.  You should get an account with Bangkok Bank, because that is the greatest chance of Transferwise transfers showing up as from abroad, although some show up as domestic.  

- Let the money sit for 30 days (question on whether that is enough time) then 15 days before the extension of exemption expires apply for a Non-O 90 day visa.  If that is not enough time for the money to have seasoned in the bank then travel around the region and come back into Thailand after, say, 30 or 60 days, get another visa exemption and apply for the Non-O then.

As far as I know, the money does not have to sit at all before you apply for a non-O immigrant 90 day visa.  You can apply as soon as you have 800k baht in your Thai bank account.  Once you get an non-O immigrant 90 day visa, you wait two months for the funds to be seasoned.

It is too risky trying to enter Thailand by air on a tourist visa.  You may be ok coming back into Thailand by land.  It is best to get the OA visa while in the US, second best is to stay in Thailand throughout the entire visa process until you get a 1-year extension.

- At least 15 days before the 90 day Non-O expires apply for a one year multiple entry retirement extension.  While doing that get a multiple re-entry permit. 

Correct.

- Then report every 90 days and annually extend the Non-O as long into the future as possible. 

If you apply in Thailand after March 1, 2019, you will not only have to have 800k baht in your account two months prior to receiving an extension.  You will also have to show proof that 800k baht is still in your Thai bank account three months later (around the time of your first 90 day report). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ubon, if the OP obtained his non o in say Vientiane, do the funds need to be shown as coming from o/s. When I did it many years ago it didn't seem important. If that's the case the op could enter on VE or setv open his bank ac transfer funds go to nearby country that's suits and obtain a non o.

That is an option if a person cannot prove the money came from abroad. Many have had to do it.

But I would not recommend Vientiane because they want a police clearance and a medical certificate to apply for a single entry non-o visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

You still have to visit or mail your passport to a Thai Embassy or consulate to get a 60-day tourist visa.  

He would not have to get a tourist visa. He can apply for the the 90 day non immigrant visa with a 30 visa exempt entry.

The only problem he might have doing it that way would be the need to show a ticket out of the country within 30 day of arrival  to board his flight to here.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is an option if a person cannot prove the money came from abroad. Many have had to do it.

But I would not recommend Vientiane because they want a police clearance and a medical certificate to apply for a single entry non-o visa.

Where would you recommend?

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He would not have to get a tourist visa. He can apply for the the 90 day non immigrant visa with a 30 visa exempt entry.

The only problem he might have doing it that way would be the need to show a ticket out of the country within 30 day of arrival  to board his flight to here.

I know that.   He asked if he should get a 60 day tourist visa in lieu of a 30 day visa exempt entry.   So I told him he would have the same problem as getting an OA visa --- he would have to go through a Thai Embassy or consulate.

2 hours ago, Slosheroni said:

Would this work?

4 hours ago, Slosheroni said:

As I recall the banks I have near me don't transfer money to Thailand (i.e. Wells Fargo). 

Most banks can do a Swift transfer to a Thai bank. Those that don't have a direct connection with a Thai bank would use a correspondent bank in the US to facilitate the transfer. 

You should sort that out before reaching Thailand since making the arrangement with your US bank once you're here can be difficult. Of course if you don't already have a Thai account that may be a problem. If you have a brokerage account, they may be easier to deal with.

i have Bank of America and Vanguard Brokerage accounts. B of A is not helpful in such matters at least when trying to do such things from Thailand. Vanguard, on the other hand makes doing the transfer easy.

i believe Schwab is also able to do transfers without any hassle

check here for Wells Fargo wire transfers : https://www.wellsfargo.com/online-banking/wires/

Edited by Suradit69

You do not mention income. If you can justify >65KTHB per month all is so much easier. Contact a Bangkok agent (check references) over the internet who will get things done. I know some guys who regret they involved Thai GF in their banking affairs. But I also know exceptions to the rule.

9 hours ago, Slosheroni said:

Definitely obtain a 60-day tourist visa if I were you. If relying on a 30-day visa exemption initially you run the risk of being denied permission to board your one-way flight from the USA to Thailand at check-in, unless you have purchased - and can show to the check-in assistant - a ticket for an onward flight out of Thailand within the following 30 days.

Edited by OJAS

4 minutes ago, hopharrigon said:

My understanding is that as from 1st March 2019, the monies in bank donot have to be shown as coming fro overseas

For 800k baht in the bank option proof the money came from abroad never has been required to apply for an extension of stay.