Visa Run Vientiane Feb. 3rd

I have just returned from a visa-run to Vientiane with the new queue number registration requirements. I was a little nervous and considered going on January 30th so I would not have any issues with registration etc.. I checked with a number of companies and they hummed and hawed. It seemed they didn't have a good handle on what was going to happen. After talking with Visa Run Sawadee, they seemed to know exactly what was going on and assured me there was no need to move up my date. In addition, when contacting them on LINE they responded very quickly if not immediately. So I stopped by their office, they took the necessary passport photocopies of appropriate pages, and I gave them 3 photos (white background) and was told not to worry, everything would be fine. I received an SMS the day before departure letting me know my "estimated" pick up time. (40 minutes late). I climbed aboard and after picking up the rest of the full van (all Russians, Jomtien/Pratumnak area) we were on our way. Not an easy drive. The first stop not far outside Pattaya for 20 minutes (was actually 70 minutes). While my paperwork was fully completed as I had dropped it off at the office, the driver added photos and the finishing touches necessary to the other visa runners forms. (I's dotted and T's crossed). Of course, as everyone knows the drive up was a white knuckle affair, with stops for fuel, snacks, restroom, smokes every 3 hours or so. Arriving in Nong Kai 30 minutes before the border opened. Smooth exit out of Thailand and into Laos. Van ride to the embassy all went smoothly. Then the first day of the needed queue number system started. Almost everyone was aware of the new requirement. Of course, the Thai embassy was totally disorganized. On a scale of 1-10 where the lowest possible score is a one, they scored a 0. No use of the queue numbers, totally disorganized, nobody really knowing how things were supposed to work. It became first come first serve, with no organized lines. Of course, those who were in "tour" groups had their paperwork properly and completely filled out. Those doing it themselves took considerably longer. Frustration for anyone stuck behind these people and the staff taking the tourist visa applications. From there, off to the hotel for breakfast, check-in, shower, and sleep. The hotel was fine. Good food for all meals. A good night sleep even with Chinese New Year fireworks. Next day, breakfast, checkout, lunch, and back to the embassy to pick up our passports. Amazing what a difference a day makes. Someone at the embassy put a boot up a lot of asses. As bad as the first day was from an organizational point of view, the next day was a 10 out of 10. They opened the gates on time, they made everyone sit on the benches and chairs they used the LED serving board and your newly assigned number. Called your number, and the window you were to go to. The passports were all lined up, you handed in your slip of paper, they checked the passports against you. gave it to you and off you went. About 10 seconds a person. Everyone seated and comfortable, good cadence by the announcer so there were 3 people at the window at any time. Smooth and efficient. From there once our group was back together it was back on minivans to the border, some duty-free shopping and buses across the Mekong to Thai immigration. Then, another white knuckle drive home. We went through at least 8 police checkpoints. One approaching just outside Pattaya was a breathalyzer checkpoint with 3-4 people blowing and 8-9 cars parked on the side of the highway. Another on Jomtien 2nd road doing the same. 2-3 people blowing. Police unconcerned about helmetless scooter riding.

While visa runs to Vientiane are not pleasant, or for the faint of heart, for 6 thousand baht all inclusive you just can't beat the value you get. No reason for people not to stay legal.

Archived