Question about METV, staying for 9 months...

Hi

I hoped someone could clear up a few things for me. I would like to get an METV and stay in one place for 8 or 9 months. Is it a problem to rent an apartment, do you just have to get your landlord to register you after each visa run and extension? Because its a Tourist visa I wondered if renting and staying in one place the whole time was considered not being a tourist? 

Also, I'm a landlord in the UK, but due to a chronic pain disorder I'm not doing other work. I know for the METV you have to provide a letter from employer or company number etc. But as a landlord you dont need to register as self employed, and property income is done separately on my self assessment tax return. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help in advance

Nothing stopping you taking a lease. From then when you leave los and reenter, since your going back to same address I wouldn't even do a new tm30. The experts will give you better advice. As for the employer thing for your METV best to consult with where you are applying what they will except. Plenty of people in similar situation to you have obtained an METV. Good luck

10 minutes ago, yuiop said:

It depends on the consulate/embassy you're going to apply, sometimes employment is not needed, so check their websites and or call them.

If employment was 100% required that would mean what % of people cannot satisfy requirements. Self employed. Those with ample money not needing work....the list is long

Thanks everyone, I will contact the consulate about the employment thing then

But as for renting, I know it will be easy enough to find a place to rent, but will it be a problem to be ion a tourist visa but staying in one place for so long? And as someone said about not even registering again after each visa run, would you recommend this? 

Thanks

11 minutes ago, robodelfy said:

But as for renting, I know it will be easy enough to find a place to rent, but will it be a problem to be ion a tourist visa but staying in one place for so long? And as someone said about not even registering again after each visa run, would you recommend this? 

Thanks

I've been told must and I've been told don't have to at different times by different officers at jomtien.

My feeling is that if you only go the first time, you'll be ok.

My recommendation though is to go after each border run. No harm done.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stud858 said:

I've been told must and I've been told don't have to at different times by different officers at jomtien.

My feeling is that if you only go the first time, you'll be ok.

My recommendation though is to go after each border run. No harm done.

Thanks, I am happy to go after each border run. My question was more asking if it is any issue to actually rent somewhere for so long and stay in one place. As it doesn't seem like a very touristy thing to do? But maybe its fine?

11 hours ago, robodelfy said:

Thanks

You just take your TM30 into immigration to update its status as "same residence - takes 2 minutes to do at the desk. It's easy...you are over-thinking things. Staying same residence is no issue whatsoever in Thailand, as long as you registered there within 1-2 days of arriving.

Show a combo of more money in bank than 5k, and clarify your landlord status with the nearest consulate. If no joy, as Robert Ringer says...."Ask ask again" (at another consulate).

After April 1st you will have to apply online before going in for METV at UK consualtes also I believe...

You will get just under 9 months out of the METV as the clock starts ticking (on its expiry date) as soon as the METV visa is issued.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, robodelfy said:

Thanks, I am happy to go after each border run. My question was more asking if it is any issue to actually rent somewhere for so long and stay in one place. As it doesn't seem like a very touristy thing to do? But maybe its fine?

Renting in the same place for years on tourist visa, I have never heard of causing a problem, nor have I seen a law or regulation not allowing it. I'm confident you are fine doing that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

Renting in the same place for years on tourist visa, I have never heard of causing a problem, nor have I seen a law or regulation not allowing it. I'm confident you are fine doing that.

Same for me. Landlord had to declare me at immigration last time I came back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, robodelfy said:

Hi, I'm also here with a METV and before for 2 years with just a SETV: there are not problems about it.

About to have a job as a requirement to get the METV, I don't know in UK, but in Italy it's enough to show 6,000 euro in your bank account.

Finally I'd like just to clarify that you have to extend your visa after 2 months and to live the country at the 3rd month. I'm telling you it because I also have a sort of chronic pain disorder and it's not easy for me to travel. But surely I can experience a better quality of life living in Thailand.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, marqus12 said:

so one can get 8-9 months on metv ...
and I can get after the last changes 3 months single entry visa NON O

and extend it by 2 months as a father of a Thai citizen !
... really really haaaard to understand !

Please do not mix up a non O tourist with being a father. Very different conditions. As a father, you can get a 1 yr straight away

• Like 1

Not a problem. I am doing it now for the third time. I also do a single entry tourist visa run to a neighboring country so I can stay a year here. One year in Canada, one year in Thailand. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

OP, I've done exactly what you are asking about. I'm USA not UK, but its very similar.

1. You can write yourself and employment letter. If you want to be extra sure, start a "business" aka incorporate, and then write yourself a letter. I called the embassy in the USA, and they really didn't seem to give a shit, they just want to check the boxes.

2. You can rent places for 6 months easy, for 8-9 months you will want to get a month to month if you want to stay in the same place, no many places will do odd leases. I did 6 months in one place, then 2 more in another.

3. Every time you get an extension or updated entry stamp let your landlord or front desk copy it and send in the TM.6. Not sure if this is needed but it can mess with immigration extensions, and if you go to immigration and then say its not done you can just kick it back to your landlord. Make them pay the fine, say you did the right thing each time.

4. There are some stories of having problems at the major Bangkok airports entering on METV if it looks like your living here, so you may want to avoid them, use land boarder crossings, and non standard airports if you do it that way. Your mileage may vary. If you get a GF don't tell immigration unless they ask, never lie to immigration.

• Like 2

Sorry accidental that last post!

Thanks everyone for the advice. It sounds like it should be no problem if the Consulate will let me have the METV being a landlord. I have over 5k gap in the bank and my income from my house is £1200pm, so it should be enough. I dont really understand why they would care about where the money comes from, as long as you have an income and its legal!

For the people who are living on METVs for 9 months like I mention. What do you do the other three months? And for those staying multiple years in a row, do you just find a new apartment each time?

Are there any other issues you experience being there on an METV? 

Thanks for all the help ????

21 minutes ago, robodelfy said:

Sorry accidental that last post!

Thanks everyone for the advice. It sounds like it should be no problem if the Consulate will let me have the METV being a landlord. I have over 5k gap in the bank and my income from my house is £1200pm, so it should be enough. I dont really understand why they would care about where the money comes from, as long as you have an income and its legal!

For the people who are living on METVs for 9 months like I mention. What do you do the other three months? And for those staying multiple years in a row, do you just find a new apartment each time?

Are there any other issues you experience being there on an METV? 

Thanks for all the help ????

Good question. I go back to Oz. I'm lucky. Have understanding parents and brother. Spend 2 to the three months in Oz. No issues with metv whatsoever. Follow the listed rules for application and no problems.

I've asked Oz embassy if there is requirement to stay away for certain amount of time, but none.

I just see it as a good idea.

You would only face problems if you dress bad, are impolite or don't spend some time back in your home country.

Trying to spend every single day of the full year on tourist visas will bring suspicion on you.

You best buy a condo if you need to keep stuff here while in home country.

Edited by stud858

Just now, stud858 said:

Good question. I go back to Oz. I'm lucky. Have understanding parents and brother. Spend 2 to the three months in Oz. No issues with metv whatsoever. Follow the listed rules for application and no problems.

I've asked Oz embassy if there is requirement to stay away for certain amount of time, buy none.

I just see it as a good idea.

You would only face problems if you dress bad, are impolite or don't spend some time back in your home country.

Trying to spend every single day of the full year on tourist visas will bring suspicion on you.

You best buy a condo if you need to keep stuff here while in home country.

Thanks, thats likely my plan to. I've been coming to Thailand for 5 or 6 months the last few years. I need to go back to Europe for help with my chronic pain issue too, hoping for a miracle! 

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned doing 9 months on METV then going to another close by country and getting an SETV. This does sound like it could raise suspicion and probably isn't a great idea. I've also always stayed in the North, mostly Chiang Rai, and from March to May, the burning is horrible and its a good time to leave, also lovely weather in Europe. My chronic problem is with my throat, so the smoke is really bad.

You say buy a condo, do you mean rent? Isn't it complicated to buy one, I thought it needed to be in a Thai persons name. I would probably just rent anyway for simplicity

26 minutes ago, robodelfy said:

For me personally, if I dissapear one month from Thailand, I keep the place rented and waste the money on rent. But it's not ideal.

Since in the future I will be doing more travelling for extended periods, and I am feeling that I am burning unnecessary money, I am looking as we speak at monthly self storage locker facilities here in Bangkok.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, robodelfy said:

Thanks, thats likely my plan to. I've been coming to Thailand for 5 or 6 months the last few years. I need to go back to Europe for help with my chronic pain issue too, hoping for a miracle! 

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned doing 9 months on METV then going to another close by country and getting an SETV. This does sound like it could raise suspicion and probably isn't a great idea. I've also always stayed in the North, mostly Chiang Rai, and from March to May, the burning is horrible and its a good time to leave, also lovely weather in Europe. My chronic problem is with my throat, so the smoke is really bad.

You say buy a condo, do you mean rent? Isn't it complicated to buy one, I thought it needed to be in a Thai persons name. I would probably just rent anyway for simplicity

Rent is ok. Buy a condo around 800k- many million baht. People here will guide you. It's not hard. Just check here. The only place you really need to be handing over money is at the land office when your land title documents are handed to you. Haven't heard of bad things happening, but there is room for scammers.

• Like 1

Thanks. Yeah I dont have a lot of stuff, and I have some friends in Chiang rai so Im sure I could store a few boxes. So its just hoping the embassy will give me the visa, and it seems likely they will by the sounds of it.

They do ask for a return flight, what do you do about this? Because its 9 months in the future and you are never exactly sure because of extensions etc. 

35 minutes ago, robodelfy said:

Thanks. Yeah I dont have a lot of stuff, and I have some friends in Chiang rai so Im sure I could store a few boxes. So its just hoping the embassy will give me the visa, and it seems likely they will by the sounds of it.

They do ask for a return flight, what do you do about this? Because its 9 months in the future and you are never exactly sure because of extensions etc. 

I've never been asked for return part of flight on metv 

While your renting look for a cheap condo. Rent is dead money. Although, I must say climate now is poor. High exchange rates. Unsure governments and visa rules. Condo boom cycle seems to have come and gone. ( In Pattaya).

Tough decision. But I guess when people buy their own condos things become more comfortable. Just get a good deal. Research.

16 hours ago, stud858 said:

I've never been asked for return part of flight on metv 

While your renting look for a cheap condo. Rent is dead money. Although, I must say climate now is poor. High exchange rates. Unsure governments and visa rules. Condo boom cycle seems to have come and gone. ( In Pattaya).

Tough decision. But I guess when people buy their own condos things become more comfortable. Just get a good deal. Research.

Thanks yeah I'm just a bit unsure of the future for various reasons and I feel buying wouldn't be the greatest investment right now. Also the pound is very weak and probably will only get worse with Brexit! I remember when I first came to Thailand 14 years ago getting so much for my money!