Singha Beer

raybkk

Not sure if anybody else has posted it.

Lately I am being served Singha Beer with an alcohol % of 5%. What happened to 6% and why we have to pay the same? Beer is like gasholine for me. Car needs 95 Oct, less will cost less, slower, less power etc, etc.

As I have not seen any announcement anywhere with regards to Beer Singha's reason to cutt 1% I would like to ask you guys.

Lately I am being served Singha Beer with an alcohol % of 5%. What happened to 6% and why we have to pay the same? Beer is like gasholine for me. Car needs 95 Oct, less will cost less, slower, less power etc, etc.

As I have not seen any announcement anywhere with regards to Beer Singha's reason to cutt 1% I would like to ask you guys.

i noticed that as well. so i asked a restaurant owner about it and he said that his supplier hadnt mentioned any thingh about it. easy solution is to switch to chang beer.

cheers.

1am closing times. Banning the visa-runs. Changes to the FBA. The strengthening baht. And now reducing the alcohol content of Singha.

Is there nothing those pesky Thais won't do to add intolerable burdens onto farang's life in LOS?

It's outrageous. What will be next? Laws prohibiting the wearing of singlets on Sukhumvit Road? Abolishing skinhead haircuts in Pattaya? A special user surcharge on pooltables?

It's just one thing after another . . .

1am closing times. Banning the visa-runs. Changes to the FBA. The strengthening baht. And now reducing the alcohol content of Singha.

Is there nothing those pesky Thais won't do to add intolerable burdens onto farang's life in LOS?

It's outrageous. What will be next? Laws prohibiting the wearing of singlets on Sukhumvit Road? Abolishing skinhead haircuts in Pattaya? A special user surcharge on pooltables?

It's just one thing after another . . .

Tax on tarts :o

This is of course ignoring the fact that Singha tastes like horse filtered dishwater. :D

If definitely tastes like something with 'horse' in the title, although surely one up from that ralph-inducing Heineken stuff. :o:D

Edited by jackr

In Phuket there was a shortage of small bottles of Singha and now they are more readily available again, the price per case is about 15% higher and the abv has dropped to 5%. Maybe they are going to market it as a 'premium beer' or perhaps Boon Rawd Brewery are anticipating potential changes in taxation.

Aaaah, the good old days when Singha beer was anywhere between 8 and 12%

I was on an Australian Government project, and we were officially advised to avoid drinking the stuff, because the alcohol content varied so much, and was so high.

Didn't stop us, of course, but it led to some absolutely horrendous hangovers.

Aaaah, the good old days when Singha beer was anywhere between 8 and 12%

I was on an Australian Government project, and we were officially advised to avoid drinking the stuff, because the alcohol content varied so much, and was so high.

Didn't stop us, of course, but it led to some absolutely horrendous hangovers.

A similar experience a few years ago in Beijing where I was buying long neck (660ml) bottles of Beijing beer by the crate (24 bottles) for an equivalent of about A$0.25 a bottle. Couldn't afford not to drink :o

Came with the reputation of having "a different brew in every bottle".

jack

Sorry Ray but the Singha I had with my dinner tonight was 6%.... and at £3.00 for two 630ml bottles it was a bargain as well. Tescos for those of you in the UK.

You choose to drink Singha with all the great beers and lagers available in the UK???

:D

Well, seeing as I was making Tom Yung Goong I decided to be authentic. I closed my eyes and just for a moment I was in Bangkok and not Mid-Sussex... then I opened them, burnt my tongue on the steaming soup and in dropping the spoon nearly spilled my beer.... :o

• 6 months later...

Same here, Sing is now 5%- and it tastes very different.

Used to by Singha years ago, good beer, but moved on to Chang, being a "conaser" LOL, the local shop had run out of Chang and I was forced to pay the extra for Singha - after drinking it, you could tell something was wrong, only later did I notice the label stating 5%.

Back to Chang though- I got a free gift with one bottle of Chang a while back - one of those handy little plastic bags they use for "quoitio" was left in the bottle....QA??

--------------------------

I drank all the 6%... :o

Yep Beer Singha is now 5% . . . it ain't any different bottle or variety, it's the straightforward standard brew. I only drink the stuff when we visit Udon and in general we visit the same bars and restaurants each time, order Beer Singha and hey presto it's 5% the 6% is no more!

I noticed it a few months back!

The Tesco stuff will be old stock .. .. no doubt about that! I've never bought Thai beer when I was in the UK I have to say. That said I don't think much of most of the lagers on offer in the UK anyway most are just filled with preservatives and chemicals . . . :o

The problem in the UK is nearly all the 'foreign' beers are made under license - in other words two or three large brewers make pretty much ALL the beers on the UK market and just stick it in a different can. I know this is fact as I did some work at one of the largest breweries in the UK - in there staff shop there own range of beer was small (and in fact very very good) however they had a loads of 'licensed' beers for sale.

The Tesco stuff will be old stock .. .. no doubt about that! I've never bought Thai beer when I was in the UK I have to say. That said I don't think much of most of the lagers on offer in the UK anyway most are just filled with preservatives and chemicals . . . :o

The problem in the UK is nearly all the 'foreign' beers are made under license - in other words two or three large brewers make pretty much ALL the beers on the UK market and just stick it in a different can. I know this is fact as I did some work at one of the largest breweries in the UK - in there staff shop there own range of beer was small (and in fact very very good) however they had a loads of 'licensed' beers for sale.

Just checked the bottle... imported by UK Singha Agent Entbe (www.singha.co.uk) and fill date is 09/05/07 exp date 09/05/08.

So.. not brewed in the UK under licence and not old stock.

Your other comments re brewed under licence are spot on though :D

now i know why i'm drinking much more... less alcohol contents, buy more to get drunk, boonrawd gets richer... should switch to REDHORSE...

Tried that - not recommended ... hangover was quite, quite awful

... personally I don't drink any of the Thai beers very often now when I'm in BKK - I prefer Beer Lao, but that's going a bit off-topic I suppose

Just checked the bottle... imported by UK Singha Agent Entbe (www.singha.co.uk) and fill date is 09/05/07 exp date 09/05/08.

So.. not brewed in the UK under licence and not old stock.

Your other comments re brewed under licence are spot on though :D

I never said Singha was brewed in the UK - as I know it isn't - the part about the UK beers was in reply to the previous comment about UK beers. :D

09/05/07 . . . is definately before the change date as it was around July I noticed the 5% . .. . I meant old in the sense of several months old (which it's 4 months old) . . since I doubt even Tesco will be get shippments ever week. :D

Captain has the right idea! :D When in Udon I'll drink Singha or Leo .. .. neither are particularly great but either is better than Chang! At home obviously Beer Lao but also when in Bangkok.

Edited by technocracy

I'll ring the brewmaster up @ Khon Kean Boonrawd Brewery to find out.. :o

Who happens to be MY FATHER!! :D:D

It is correct, Singha has reduced the alcohol content from 6% to 5% . It modified the beer to reduce hangovers. If anyone requires hangovers and wanting to get drunk cheap, drink your beer with a straw, can save some money! Comments like "tastes like horseshit" do not require any attention, the language speaks for itself. It is liked by a lot of people , guess how "Chang" is brewed? Any ideas?

I'll ring the brewmaster up @ Khon Kean Boonrawd Brewery to find out.. :D

Who happens to be MY FATHER!! :bah::D

It is correct, Singha has reduced the alcohol content from 6% to 5% . It modified the beer to reduce hangovers. If anyone requires hangovers and wanting to get drunk cheap, drink your beer with a straw, can save some money! Comments like "tastes like horseshit" do not require any attention, the language speaks for itself. It is liked by a lot of people , guess how "Chang" is brewed? Any ideas?

I have no idea.. :D

Please enlighten us.. :D

:o

I'll ring the brewmaster up @ Khon Kean Boonrawd Brewery to find out.. :D

Who happens to be MY FATHER!! :bah::D

I have no idea.. :D

Please enlighten us.. :D

:o

Stay that way, it is better you don't know. Keep a bottle of Chang for 3 month and then try to drink it. Cheers and good luck!