Singha Beer

raybkk

Some time ago there was a thread here about changes in the excise tax for alcoholic beverages, including beer. As I remember it, the old tax was based on the volume of the beverage, the new tax on the volume of alcohol content. I don’t know if the new tax rule has already been implemented, but obviously a lower alcohol content will reduce the brewer’s expenses for excise tax.

--

Maestro

Some time ago there was a thread here about changes in the excise tax for alcoholic beverages, including beer. As I remember it, the old tax was based on the volume of the beverage, the new tax on the volume of alcohol content. I don’t know if the new tax rule has already been implemented, but obviously a lower alcohol content will reduce the brewer’s expenses for excise tax.

--

Maestro

Maestro,

you are correct!

this email explains the situation as regards Singha in the UK.. received from the importers this morning

''Dear Tolsti

Thank you for your email regarding Singha Beer.

A) At present the Singha Beer sold in Tesco’s, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose is 6% ABV.

The ABV in Thailand until very recently was also 6%. However, over the past 3 years the brewery have conducted tests in the domestic market and the results show that 5% ABV is the public’s optimum taste for Singha. This year the Singha Beer produced in the domestic market was 5% ABV. We are currently in the transition of supplying the UK with the 5% ABV so that Singha UK remains in line with Thailand and the rest of the World. However, none to date has been released into the UK market.

:o I can confirm that Singha Beer is 100% brewed and bottled in Thailand and is a genuine import into the UK.

C) The Singha Beer available in the UK is fresh stock. The best before date is provided at the point of bottling and all cases show the infill date as well as the best before date.''

So it looks like soon we'll be drinking 5% as well

Edited by tolsti