Ghosties And Ghoulies And Things That Go Bump In The Night!

Bananaman

Get 10 Thais in a room and chances are, at least 5 of them (if not more) will tell you that they've seen a ghost at some point in their lives. Get 10 farang in a room and chances are, none of them will claim to have had any supernatural encounters. This leads me to any of three conclusions.

1. There are more ghosts in Thailand that in the west.

2. There are an equal number of ghosts in Thailand as in western countries, however Thais have a sixth sense so are more capable of "seeing dead people"

3. There are no more ghosts in Thailand than anywhere else; for that matter, ghosts don't exist and Thais just have overactive imaginations fostered by an upbringing in a society that puts great stock in superstition, myth and folklore.

Point three is by no means intended as a Thai-bashing comment, just a cultural observation.

Discuss

Get 10 Thais in a room and chances are, at least 5 of them (if not more) will tell you that they've seen a ghost at some point in their lives. Get 10 farang in a room and chances are, none of them will claim to have had any supernatural encounters. This leads me to any of three conclusions.

2. There are an equal number of ghosts in Thailand as in western countries, however Thais have a sixth sense so are more capable of "seeing dead people"

3. There are no more ghosts in Thailand than anywhere else; for that matter, ghosts don't exist and Thais just have overactive imaginations fostered by an upbringing in a society that puts great stock in superstition, myth and folklore.

Point three is by no means intended as a Thai-bashing comment, just a cultural observation.

Discuss

Just yesterday I saw Kasper ( the freindly ghost) , is that makes me superstitous??? :o

Edited by zaza

Discuss

Point 4: the very bad impact of Lao cao home made alcohol....

Discuss

You should watch the movie 'the eye' - made in thailand, really scary!!!

Thais are superstitious,but there is also a reason for!

In the West Great Britain is very famous for ghosts!And I had numerous experiences that I not even consider there aren't??And that for a farang,but not necessarilly in Thailand alone,but the atmosphere surtenly in Thai is much much!I do not see but feel "things" ,and thats what Thai also mean I guess,a ghost or whatever you want to call it ,doesn't have a body offcourse.And it is not scary,movies make them like that,it is just apart of life people not know the existence of or are just too rational to believe it!But really it is just something they do not understand!The Thais are with this much better educated of how they can interpretate things what they feel in certain circumstances!Believe it or not!

Discuss

The Cotswolds in the UK (the area i come from) has more ghost stories than you can shake a stick at...

I grew up in a really really old building where there had been a documented murder/suicide - as a child i believe i saw something that to this day i still cannot explain...

... i believe in ghosts

it's not only thailand who have this belief but other asian countries as well. just watch the ghost movies from japan... so scary! i've also heard that the movie "the ring" was based on a japanese one.

by the way, don't forget that the movie "nang nak" is a true story.

Edited by thai_narak

I remember years ago reading a book called Zen and the art of motorbike maintenance. In this book the writer's kid asked him if ghosts existed or not. He said they did if people believed in them. I agree with him 100%.

I grow up in Ireland surronded by stories of ghosts and banshees. It all felt very real at the time and as a kid I had no problem believing in them.

The belief in ghosts is very strong here in the village where I live. In fact my wife's father is a mau pee (spirit doctor). I personally am not completely convinced but I wouldn't argue with anyone that is.

I am not sure about educated city Thai people, but in Issan ghosts are VERY real as far as the locals are concerned. So are curses and hexes. I for one am not about to argue when I am in the Village. There are forces out there ...

Peter

There is i.e. Charlie Manson and the Family, live and well some places in Thailand. Lets hope they release Chaz, so he will guide you to see ghosts! :o

I am not sure about educated city Thai people, but in Issan ghosts are VERY real as far as the locals are concerned. So are curses and hexes. I for one am not about to argue when I am in the Village. There are forces out there ...

Peter

There is i.e. Charlie Manson and the Family, live and well some places in Thailand. Lets hope they release Chaz, so he will guide you to see ghosts! :o

What? try that again please so we can understand....

Peter

I once saw an apparition of an australian getting his wallet out to pay for a round of drinks :D But everyone one said I was seeing things :o Nignoy

Peter

I once saw an apparition of an australian getting his wallet out to pay for a round of drinks :D But everyone one said I was seeing things :o Nignoy

Nignoy

No Prevarication pleas

Ancestors on my Mothers side from Ireland,

Grandfather very aware of spirits.

Especially 25-year-old Malt

PS

Wife is Thai & a firm believer in “NOT SURE BUT”

Edited by IvanLaw

Peter

I once saw an apparition of an australian getting his wallet out to pay for a round of drinks :D But everyone one said I was seeing things :D Nignoy

:o:D:D

Some Thai's would take issue with the term Ghost,

They're Spirits, not Ghosts, not Caspers wailing in the night, but Spirits which can influence, forewarn, protect or cause ill and harm.

I've been chastised and corrected several times for using the terms interchangeably.

Per the ubiquitous little Spirit Houses seen in or outside most of everything, not to be referred to as Ghost Houses, etc. :o

Other planets and people, other dimensions, other realms? Even physics proves this now.

Really? Even physics proves this now? Do tell. :o

Dam. I cannot find the article. But, quantum mechanics does show that there are infinite possibilities to explain any supposed reality. I will do more research. I did not make this up.

Other planets and people, other dimensions, other realms? Even physics proves this now.

Really? Even physics proves this now? Do tell. :o

Dam. I cannot find the article. But, quantum mechanics does show that there are infinite possibilities to explain any supposed reality. I will do more research. I did not make this up.

Could you send one of those infinite possibilities round to my house? I need rescuing from my supposed reality at the very earliest convenience...

Quantum Physics POSTULATES that there are "infinite possibilities...etc", and can use math to "prove it"....but the proof is only mathematical,and does NOT SHOW that the so called proof is applicable to the real world of real things....

Quantum Physics POSTULATES that there are "infinite possibilities...etc", and can use math to "prove it"....but the proof is only mathematical,and does NOT SHOW that the so called proof is applicable to the real world of real things....

Whenever did Thailand belong to the 'real world of real things'? I suspect that for many farangs its disconnection from the 'real world of real things' is one of its major attractions :o

QP is used for many real life applications. But, OK, I'm out of my realm here. I'm gonna go have tea with my dead great auntie and see if she can explain it.

It's interesting to read the replies here and true enough most farangs don't seem to believe in ghosts and only one person claims to have seen one.

I don't believe in ghosts either although as a kid I was pretty scared of the idea of ghosts.

Most people can tell of ghost stories and things that go bump in the night but now I don't believe them. Having said that I did once experience something that was difficult to explain. I knew a lady aged about 74 years and confined to a wheel chair when I was about 17 years old. She was a good friend of the family and one day she invited me to an ouija (not sure about the spelling) session and asked if I would like to come. I was shit scared of ghosts and declined her offer. Well the day after I asked her what the "ghosts or spirits" had said. She laughed and said that they had told her she would get married the following year. A few months later she met a man of about 80 and within 6 months they got married.

Was it her pushing to make the prediction come true or what?

Anyway back to the idea that many Thais claim to have seen ghosts. Maybe it's part of the culture. I mean to talk about ghosts and spirits that make them believe in ghosts. If you look at other nations (or religions) and I am thinking of Philipines, Italy and Spain they seem to believe more in visions of the Virgin Mary and not ghosts.

I've seen, felt and smelt ghosts many times, but if you tell people who don't have that gift, it's like telling someone you saw ET. Ask a Thai how many different pi there are. They have a pi (ghost) for everything. Pi come by like a whisper but I knew and even my dogs watched them in sync.

I was in a bar/restaurant in Udon once... Steve's Bar? David Copperfield was working his magic on the TV. Service came to a halt as every waitress and member of the bar staff stared transfixed at the screen. The owner and his Thai wife's adopted daughter came in from school, a lass about 12 and watched open mouthed.

"Phee Mor?" I said.

Man, she never doubted it for one moment.