Herb Help Wanted

sceadugenga

I need an inoffensive tasting green herb to take the place of......let's say parsley. Something to throw a handful of into a farang stew. I found one in Vientiane once that tasted a bit like watercress, that sort of thing.... add a bit of iron and some pretty green flecks with out adding too much over-riding flavour.

let's say parsley. Something to throw a handful of into a farang stew. I found one in Vientiane once that tasted a bit like watercress

emmm its pretty hard to choose.But there are 2 things that you can add in stew

1) Keun chai (Celery)

2)Pak chee (coriander)

But both of them have strong smell.

One herb/veggy looks abit like watercress is called "Tung oh" GARLAND CHRYSANTHEMUM

Scientific name : Chrysanthemum coronarium L..var. spatiosum Bailey

post-19740-1172521252.jpg

Edited by BambinA

For your information, in TH we call "parsley" as Pak chee farang ผักชีฝรั่ง( something looks like puk chee but comes from farang land)

BUT BUT it's different from local "puk chee farang" Long Coriander (Eryngium foetidum L.)

pic145.jpg

Puk chee lao

Anethum graveolens L.

321602A04.jpg

Puk chee-: Coriander

321602A03.jpg

Edited by BambinA

Thanks Bambina, great pics. (And a great avatar!)

I love coriander but it's not quite what I have in mind. Also the celery, of which we get the leafy variety here, is great with chicken but I fancied some parsley in a beef stew. I'll bring some seeds back from Farangistan next month and try to grow it, I'm particularly fond of the Italian variety.

ye gotta think about whether ye wanna use the herb as an ingredient or a garnish...I find parsley and fresh coriander unsuitable for cooking until the pot has been taken off de heat...the herb aroma is lost otherwise...

I made a beef stew yesterday toots, your posts had me motivated, and almost as an afterthought I chopped up three or four spring (green?) onions and put them in at the same time as the spuds; leaves and all. Improved the flavour and satisfied my craving for little green specks in it.

ye gotta think about whether ye wanna use the herb as an ingredient or a garnish...I find parsley and fresh coriander unsuitable for cooking until the pot has been taken off de heat...the herb aroma is lost otherwise...

I made a beef stew yesterday toots, your posts had me motivated, and almost as an afterthought I chopped up three or four spring (green?) onions and put them in at the same time as the spuds; leaves and all. Improved the flavour and satisfied my craving for little green specks in it.

did you not first stew de meat wid regular yellow onions?. I find that green onions are a nice addition to potato salad, after the potatoes have been cooked...my irish ex-wife's grandad had a recipie dat we useta use; tatties, green onions, olive oil an' lemon juice...grand...

I haven't found Italian leaf parsley here, but I've been able to get the curly parsley. I think I've gotton it at Carrefour and Tesco Lotus.

I find that de curly leaf parsley in Thailand tastes different than in de US/europe...maybe just my imagination...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

did you not first stew de meat wid regular yellow onions?. I find that green onions are a nice addition to potato salad, after the potatoes have been cooked...my irish ex-wife's grandad had a recipie dat we useta use; tatties, green onions, olive oil an' lemon juice...grand...

I haven't found Italian leaf parsley here, but I've been able to get the curly parsley. I think I've gotton it at Carrefour and Tesco Lotus.

I find that de curly leaf parsley in Thailand tastes different than in de US/europe...maybe just my imagination...

Sure, the initial ingredients are the beef and plenty of onions, brown or white, a little garlic, cooked in a little oil then a dash of plonk, water, Maggi beef stock cube (from Australia) and pepper.... simmer till nearly there, add carrots, spuds, spring onions in yesterday's case, and thicken with a little flour when cooked.

If I'm using ground beef I like to add about half a teaspoon of commercial curry powder as well.

I'm a big fan of green onions although they tend to repeat on me. Cooked in any meat dish or raw in salad.

I make a tomato sauce to eat with the bratwurst Big C sells which is just sliced plain onions and garlic softened in olive oil then chopped peeled tomatoes added with a little finely chopped chili stirred in, salt to taste, and heated through with sliced green onions added at the end.

I got the recipe at a Chinese restaurant in Kunming where they served it with roast chicken. The idea is not to let the tomato cook, just heat through.

I convince myself that this sauce makes grilled bratwurst, bacon and chips a healthy meal.

How about some finely chopped basil? Not the Thai holy basil, the good old fashioned 'Italian' version. I love it!

OR, how about a handful of chives? Slightly onion flavour but very good and also looks good.

ps With 'fresh' herbs, add right at the very end of cooking, with dried erbs, add a few mins before food is cooked to release the flavour.

Yes, I agree that it is different. I think it has a stronger taste, but I haven't noticed a problem with anything that I've made. I use it for stocks, and rice cooked in stock. Also, have used it chopped to sprinkle on dishes, but I don't use too much..

hi i know this is totally different to the thread but Please Help!

i am one of the corriander/pak chee broad leaf HATERS (not dried or ground) i actually gag from the taste of it! it really is my achilles heel with food, because i will try anything!

how do i tell someone cooking or a server not to put any in my food! Help!

me and the misses are coming/going to Thailand next week and i just can't wait!

Thanks

gaz

:D:D how can one not like the lovely bouquet of fresh coriander?...that's like not likin' chocolate cake...

but, to answer the question, if ye don't want any fresh coriander ye say sumpin' like 'mai aow puk chee...' while wavin' yer hands around in de air fer emphasis... :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior