Pattaya officials make arrests at three hotels operating without licences

webfact

Pattaya officials make arrests at three hotels operating without licences

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

Sophon Cable TV reported on Facebook that a contingent of Bang Lamung officials along with protection services and the tourist police raided four hotels in the Pattaya area. 

Three establishments were found to be offering daily rental without licences. 

Sophon said that the state wanted to be able to check guests and the possibility that illegal migrants or foreign criminals were using the hotels. This they could not do if they were not legally registered as hotels. 

None of the places was named. 

6pm2.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

But arrests were made and prison terms of one year and fines of 20,000 baht can be given along with fines of 10,000 baht per day against the owners while the establishments remain unregistered. 

Thai posters on the Sophon site questioned how the places could open in the first instance with the inference that back-handers were paid to facilitate this. 

Source: Sophon Cable

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-14

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

Sophon said that the state wanted to be able to check guests and the possibility that illegal migrants or foreign criminals

Is this not what Immigration should do before foreigners are allowed to enter Thailand? Why wait until they check in to a hotel?

Surprise, Surprise, someone finally checking licenses.

If licenses of hotels, bars, massage parlors, eateries, etc. were entered into computer database systems and checked all year long the city might find a whole new source of revenue.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

None of the places was named.

No names please.

Just that you can easily read one of the names on the photo :whistling:

A fairly new built/renovated place on Jomtien beach.

And of course on all major booking sites.

Again and again posters claim that they don't need to show passport at check-in.

And I tell you again and again that this is fishy.

Police: Come to any of the upscale condos on Naklua Soi 16, Wongamat. All have AirBnB ads for short term rentals. Scores of "short-timers" flopping down for a day/ week at a time in my 43 story complex. All the fancy signs here recently displayed have little effect.

36 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Police: Come to any of the upscale condos on Naklua Soi 16, Wongamat. All have AirBnB ads for short term rentals. Scores of "short-timers" flopping down for a day/ week at a time in my 43 story complex. All the fancy signs here recently displayed have little effect.

Yes and they run the condos as hotel with full ABF 100% short term renting now rare common in Khao Yai !!!

1 hour ago, KenKadz said:

If licenses of hotels, bars, massage parlors, eateries, etc. were entered into computer database systems and checked all year long the city might find a whole new source of revenue.

This has been on going for over a year Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Bangkok nothing new

The question I have is, are the hotels not registered because of construction/design shortcomings, because it is some business tax dodge, because you have to pay millions of baht in tea money to a government official to get the registration approved. What is the real reason? Surely it is not because the hotel owners are too lazy to register them. 

4 hours ago, KenKadz said:

And cars, bikes, vans, land.....

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

The question I have is, are the hotels not registered because of construction/design shortcomings, because it is some business tax dodge, because you have to pay millions of baht in tea money to a government official to get the registration approved. What is the real reason? Surely it is not because the hotel owners are too lazy to register them. 

The requirements that need to be met to get a hotel licence are huge....Only a handful of 5 star hotels can meet the requirements........About 6 months after the crackdown had started only about 15 hotels in Pattaya had a hotel licence...

The licence has nothing to with any thing except to put the little guy out of business so the big guys get fatter......

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The requirements that need to be met to get a hotel licence are huge....Only a handful of 5 star hotels can meet the requirements........About 6 months after the crackdown had started only about 15 hotels in Pattaya had a hotel licence...

The licence has nothing to with any thing except to put the little guy out of business so the big guys get fatter......

Rowlocks....dozens..hundreds of real hotels in Pattaya. Maybe not in the parts where you stay....

8 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Rowlocks....dozens..hundreds of real hotels in Pattaya. Maybe not in the parts where you stay....

I never said there were not loads of hotels in Pattaya.....But most do not have a hotel licence....I have followed this story from day 1 of the crackdown and I have a pretty good idea what its about....

Most hotels will never in a million years qualify for a hotel licence....

21 hours ago, KenKadz said:

There are probably dozens operating like this..........I as in a guest house off second road, near McDonalds run by a Norwegian, asked for a Jack Daniels & Coke at his bar, he said - oh, only beer, I have no license for liquor, but if you buy a bottle, I'll put your name on it and I will be legal............then I noticed a lot of bottles with little signs hanging off them behind the bar .......   the price??  whatever it would cost for 20 shots, a bargain that was.   ????....  where there's a will, there's a way, I give him credit for being creative.

Now, what is that 'thing' in the first photo fingering the computer??   Scary.     Wouldn't want to meet it in a dark ally.

Archived