Hotel man faces years in jail for shooting stray dog that bit tourists

rooster59

Hotel man faces years in jail for shooting stray dog that bit tourists

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUzNi83NjgxNjk4L25ld3MyMi5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

A hotel employee in Cha-Am is facing two years in jail after he was caught on CCTV shooting a stray dog under a car at the hotel.

He told police that the dog had been chasing tourists and had been biting them. 

Earlier Oranut, 35, a representative of dog lovers Watchdog Thailand had gone to Cha-Am police with CCTV footage and called for the man's arrest. 

A contingent of cops arrested Jomphon, 25, at the hotel that was not named. 

They took a 9mm gun and 43 bullets into evidence. 

Jomphon admitted that he had shot the dog that was cowering under a car at the hotel on 9th January. The dog had been chasing and biting tourists and after he was criticized for not doing his job properly he got angry and shot the animal. 

He apologized for this. 

He was charged with having an unlicensed gun and shooting in a public place. 

He also faces animal cruelty charges that carry a prison sentence of 2 years or a fine of 40,000 baht or both.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-16

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SammyT said:

I get the work that animal charities do over here, but in this instance the best thing for everyone is for the dog to be killed. How would the charity feel if the dog had mauled a small child or something?

Read it again " after he was criticized for not doing his job properly he got angry and shot the animal". He only took this action after being chastised, typical case of lashing out after losing face.

7 minutes ago, Seismic said:

Read it again " after he was criticized for not doing his job properly he got angry and shot the animal". He only took this action after being chastised, typical case of lashing out after losing face.

You conveniently ignored the bit about it chasing and biting tourists. Yes, he probably was criticized for not doing anything about it biting people so he did something.

That's not lashing out after losing face at all - its putting down a vicious stray. But I guess when you hate Thais as much as you clearly do (I've read your other bitter anti-Thai comments on here before) you will always look for a way to put the boot in...

He probably did react after losing face and should be punished for letting off a firearm in public (instead of trying to catch the animal). But he deserves a smidgen of sympathy - he's in a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation and can't get any help from the authorities. 

Where are the laws which protect humans from dogs?

And where are the laws which make dog owners responsible for their dogs? And they should also be responsible for the dogs if they throw them out on the street because they are not cute anymore.

Nobody should be cruel to animals. But when animals become a risk to humans something has to be done to stop them.

As we all know the dog problem here in Thailand is quite significant. The guy putting the dog down did the right thing. Maybe an overkill with a 9mm in a neighborhood but.....

I thought it was great about 6 months ago when the govt did a sweep and forewarned all the people due to the rabies concern. For days I saw very few dogs out, all in yards as they should be. Once the sweep was complete soon the dogs were back out lounging around, pissing on walls and crapping on the road. Its just a lack of responsibility by the owners and nothing is going to change.

Best thing to do is check for CCTV cameras in the area before taking action and put the dogs down with a silent weapon. 

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Wasn't too long ago a dog with rabies was running around  Hua Hin biting  numerous people when it died in the street foaming at the mouth. They should be giving this guy a medal. 

You want to give him a medal after he looses the plot and wipes out some innocent people also?

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

That's what I thought - you're talking about something that happened way back in 2017. I'd hardly call that an incident that "wasn't too long ago." I was expecting something from the last couple of weeks (or at the most, months).

13 hours ago, SammyT said:

I get the work that animal charities do over here, but in this instance the best thing for everyone is for the dog to be killed. How would the charity feel if the dog had mauled a small child or something?

There is no evidence to support the claim that the dog had attacked anyone. No witnesses support the man's story.

You miss the big  picture;

1. An angry  man with no self control in the possession of an illegal fire arm.

2. The fire arm was discharged multiple times in  a public place. If you were so concerned about injury to a child, why are you not concerned as to the potential danger  from ricochet or a missed shot?

The man  is a liar and was caught lying. He also fits the profile of someone who would use a  gun to settle a petty dispute. 

Archived