Taxes: Sending Money To U.s. Treasury...

I just finished some long and fruitless conversations with the US Internal Revenue Service on how to send them the money I owe them for 2006. No joy, so I thought I'd ask for advice here.

I foolishly wound-up my US bank accounts when I moved to Thailand (... except for an IRA retirement account, all-in-all a naive story).

Anyway, I have a savings account with Bangkok Bank, but no checking account. BKK Bank, in the provinces, can't figure how to cut a certified check to IRS in US dollars from my thai baht savings account. I cannot get Fidelity IRA in the US to send money to anyone except me here in Thailand. The Thai Post Office Money Order turns out to be a receipt in Thai -- at least here in the countryside -- and I fear IRS will chuck it into the dustbin. Western Union: I don't imagine WU going to IRS, or IRS going to collect from WU. I've also tried to see if could do a Swift wire transfer (nope), start an IRS EFTS (?) account (not for Thailand)...

Should I just go to Bangkok and get some International Bank to handle this? A bummer for me.

Any other suggestions? I'd hate to enforce on family in the US to do this once again.

Ask the US family or friends one more time, and start working on opening a new US bank account?

I go the family route, including having them help me send paper tax returns with their check. I scan and upload the final returns to their house for them to print and tuck in an envelope... I also use their house as my correspondance address and they will similarly scan and upload any important and time-critical letters. All the rest go in a collecting box for when I pass through occasionally.

I don't look forward to the future when I cannot rely on them in this way, judging by how much regular mail disappears on its way to our house in Thailand! I don't use our Thai address on any of my US financial accounts just because of this mail loss problem.

For next year, you ought to be able to find a bank which allows new accounts to be requested over the web or via phone. You'll just need to receive some forms and return a signed copy, whether by some form of postal delivery or electronically.

Thanks for the replies, teacup and autonomous_unit.

I just got back from Bangkok Bank -- this time, in desperation, I went to to the only other branch in town, a smaller branch than the main one where I have my savings account.

It was literally like night and day. The bank official, after a moment of shyness in trying to speak English, clearly explained the procedure, asked to see the IRS tax filings to verify why the money was required, and then in about 20 mins, which included three checks of names, addresses etc., cut a Bangkok Bank "draft" payable via Citibank New York. While he did all this, he answered many questions I had, and called a number of colleagues in the Silom head office to make sure he was giving me the right information. Oh, it looked like it was a flat fee of 200 baht (plus 3 baht for a stamp) for the service. Well worth it.

I was speechless. My wife was delighted since she didn't have to translate arcane financial requirements to me.

Lesson of the day: It pays to shop around for the right bank, bank branch and bank official. I've heard many posters say the same thing but "seeing is believing".

----------------------

The Fidelity brokerage account should be the way to go. I think their IRA group only sends checks to the person holding the IRA, and not to merchants; I also gather that they send money overseas only ONE time for emergencies.

I'll also check into starting up an Internet bank account, though I've heard both good and bad reports on such accounts (any feedback on these banks (names, types of accounts, etc.) will be welcome.)

Edited by talatnat

I have an accountant in the states that receives all my mail, which is minimal, since I have everything set up for online including US credit cards. He scans anything important and emails me with it and throws any junk mail out. If you can afford it this I the way to go but I am sure a good friend can do the same service for you.

I have an account at bank America with all business done online, no mail. I don’t have a checking account in that bank, they will send checks online. My credit cards, etc. are paid through the bill paying service [free] at bank America online. My credit card bills come to me online, no mail. I have an account at Bangkok bank here with an atm card. Bank America will transfer money to me at Bangkok bank when I need it when notified by email and backed up by fax.

It is much harder paying my bills here than in America.

You can also pay your US taxes with a credit card although there is a fee for it.

This is how I worked it out and it seems to go well. Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Such an easy question to answer.

You can pay the IRS directly online. They take it out of your USA checking account. Set up an account with the Treasury/IRS at http://www.eftps.gov

It makes paying your taxes (and quarterly payments too) a breeze.

My accountant told me about it.

Doesn't really answer the OP's question since the crux of his problem is that he closed his U.S. accounts before leaving for Thailand.

Sophon