IS teenager Shamima Begum will not be allowed into Bangladesh

webfact

IS teenager Shamima Begum will not be allowed into Bangladesh

2019-02-20T181917Z_1_LYNXNPEF1J1I5_RTROPTP_4_MIDEAST-CRISIS-BRITAIN-TEENAGER.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Renu Begum, sister of teenage British girl Shamima Begum, holds a photo of her sister as she makes an appeal for her to return home at Scotland Yard, in London, Britain February 22, 2015. REUTERS/Laura Lean/Pool

(Reuters) - A teenager who was stripped of her British citizenship after leaving London to join the Islamic State (IS) group is not a Bangladeshi citizen and there was "no question" of her being allowed to enter the country, the foreign ministry in Dhaka said on Wednesday.

It added it was "deeply concerned that she has been erroneously identified as a holder of dual citizenship shared with Bangladesh alongside her birthplace, the United Kingdom."

Shamima Begum, 19, left to join IS when she was 15 but now wants to return. Her British citizenship was revoked on security grounds.

"She is a British citizen by birth and has never applied for dual nationality with Bangladesh," the Bangledeshi foreign ministry said in a statement.

(Reporting by Ruma Paul, writing by Elisabeth O'Leary; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would even go one step further and ostracize her completely. Ban the media in the UK from reporting on this traitor and brand this story as fake news. Pretend as if nothing happened. I'm sure she'll figure it out, we've all had our ups and downs. Stay where you are young lady, it is best for all of us. If you've left the UK to go and help "YOUR" people, help "US" now and just stay there. I always like to end things on a slightly positive note. Young lady, despite anything, you did what you believed in and should be proud of yourself. If you return, it will completely erase what you have stood for in the first place. Is it worth it? Stay where you are. It's best for all of us and you.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bullie said:

A legal limbo, that's where she is at. Has a nice Guantanamo bay feel to it, in my opinion. It is going to take years and years before this is untangled in the courts, and until then she is well placed where she is at right now. In the middle of the desert with nowhere to go but 6 feet under.

I’ve got two words for you, they’re Latin.

You’re not going to like them.

‘habeas corpus‘.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I would suggest if we absolutely must take her back she can live alone on one of the outlying Falkland islands. After making some sort of earth shelter, she can hunt penguins for food and make her own clothing. It will be cold she must scavenge for twigs to make fires. Seeing as the islands are treeless this will be a time-consuming task.

I'm not sure that the Royal Marines would allow her to join... ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve got two words for you, they’re Latin.

You’re not going to like them.

‘habeas corpus‘.

Since he doesn't actually "have" the "body", Chomper, the words do not apply to him, whether he "likes" them or not.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Fortunately it doesn't apply in this case. Habeas Corpus only applies to people already in custody. She is languishing in her tent in Syria, at her own free will, not detained. I doubt that a British court would order her to appear before them.

She's stuck there until a court makes a final decision on her fate. As other have said, it could take years.

The Home Secretary has stated he will do all in his power to prevent her return.

He should have kept his mouth shut, he can now be demonstrated to have acted to ensure she is denied access to due process.

Don’t bet on your understanding of the law.

"Chomper Higgot" I find your question rather silly and would be a waste of my life to reply to that because it's very obvious. It is not I who holds the power to grant, revoke or reinstate citizenships. It's the British government and for good reason. I will let you do the research and come to your own conclusion. If you still feel offended by what I have written, life will go on. "TopDeadSenter" Thank you for taking the time to reply to that silly question.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

As someone else has mentioned, Guantanamo Bay sounds like the kind of Butlin's camp that would suit her (orange-suit) her down to the ground.

Let's make use of the so-called Special Relationship between the US and the UK. (However, slight problem:  Obama told the Brits to go to the back of the queue if they were daft enough to vote Brexit...)