Work permit expiring, starting work with a new employer

Hi,

My work permit expires at the end of March, and I am moving to start a new job, which will start mid-April. Is there anything I need to do to cancel or return the work permit, or should I just hold onto it when I move and use it for my next position?

I am on a non-o spouse visa, so the visa isn't attached to my work permit.

Thanks ????

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to cancel your work permit or you will have a problem applying for a new one.

I finish at my current position/contract on 31st March, the work permit expires on this date too, so should I go on the 1st April to my local labour office to do this? 

2 minutes ago, fin5prtw said:

I finish at my current position/contract on 31st March, the work permit expires on this date too, so should I go on the 1st April to my local labour office to do this? 

Yes, you can surrender there.

Ubon Joe , hoping you can assist.I also finish my contract on 31st March 2019.My current visa is a Non-Immigrant Multiple entry valid till June 2019. So i plan to exit Thailand sometime in April and re-enter a few weeks later on my existing visa and then apply for a study visa.....Logic tells me that should be fine to do that on my current visa ,but TIT ....is anyone aware of anything that i may be missing? Also any issues changing the visa on my return to Thailand  from Non Immigrant  to study visa?

44 minutes ago, thelovedone said:

Ubon Joe , hoping you can assist.I also finish my contract on 31st March 2019.My current visa is a Non-Immigrant Multiple entry valid till June 2019. So i plan to exit Thailand sometime in April and re-enter a few weeks later on my existing visa and then apply for a study visa...

You would not be able to change from whatever category of non immigrant visa you have now to a non-ed visa at immigration.

You might with paper work from a school be able to apply for an extension of stay based upon attending a school during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry from your visa. If attending a informal school such a one for language studies immigration will likely insist you you go out to a apply for a single entry non-ed visa.

You could attend school using your current visa and entry until your visa expires and the 90 day entry you can get just before it expires. That would allow you to stay until September.

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

Never knew one had to cancel or hand in an expired WP.... am I missing something?

i have a few old ones knocking around in my filing cabinet, never caused any problems when applying for new

I know that you're meant to cancel it if you leave mid-contract for whatever reason. I wasn't sure as to whether I had to cancel it or do anything if it expires due to the contract ending, hence my question here. I assumed that I wouldn't need to do anything once it expires, but it seems that I was wrong ????

29 minutes ago, fin5prtw said:

I know that you're meant to cancel it if you leave mid-contract for whatever reason. I wasn't sure as to whether I had to cancel it or do anything if it expires due to the contract ending, hence my question here. I assumed that I wouldn't need to do anything once it expires, but it seems that I was wrong ????

Seems like an oxymoron, canceling an expired WP

Thanks Ubon Joe for the info .....I had a non conclusive meeting with HR today , who explained that my Work Permit and my current Non Imm B visa (expiring June ) will be cancelled at the end of March when i finish work. Apparently at the time the cancellation is applied for they will request some sort of grace period for the visa to be valid for several weeks, to give me time to tidy up personal affairs. Hmmm...True?

So in a nutshell sounds like i will have no visa at end March or thereabouts and have to exit Thailand to apply for a Ed Visa outside Thailand?

I will visit the school as well and clarify any other visa option they may be able to assist , preferably by not leaving Thailand

9 minutes ago, thelovedone said:

Thanks Ubon Joe for the info .....I had a non conclusive meeting with HR today , who explained that my Work Permit and my current Non Imm B visa (expiring June ) will be cancelled at the end of March when i finish work.

If you actually have a valid multiple entry non-b visa it would not be canceled by immigration.

Only a extension of stay issued by immigration can be canceled.

What do you actually have?

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you actually have a valid multiple entry non-b visa it would not be canceled by immigration.

Only a extension of stay issued by immigration can be canceled.

What do you actually have?

Hey Ubon Joe .My visa was arranged by the company for my employment  ,it was applied for in June 2018 and is valid until June 2019 and it reads: 

Non Immigrant / Re-entry permit / Multiple entry.

Obviously i would like to retain this visa after i finish work at end of March ,while i sort my plans to eventually obtain my Ed Visa to study.

But the company has indicated they will cancel the visa as  they feel they would be responsible for me/my actions after i finish my contract  ,until the expiration of the visa in June 

17 minutes ago, thelovedone said:

Non Immigrant / Re-entry permit / Multiple entry.

You also have a extension of stay (it is not a visa) stamp in your passport that the re-entry permit is based upon.

You extension of stay ends on the date you stop working.

Your best option would be to find a school ahead of time and get the paperwork to go out for single entry non-ed visa.