Retirement visa

My O visa is valid until April and then was to be extended to retirement. If i extend it before March 1st, would i still have to show the 4/800k after 3 months as the extension was granted before the new rules come into effect??

I'm not being a smart a##, but just to explain. Your non o was not extended. You obtained a 12 month permission of stay. You don't have a visa anymore. Every 12 months you will apply for new 12 month permission of stay based on retirement. When you do your next "extension" 2020 you will need to follow new rules. 800k before and after and then..400k as per new directives.

• Like 1

OP ,I just re read your post. You say due to be extended April. You can only apply for 12 month permission of stay 30 days or less before your non o expires. 45 days at CW.

When exactly does your non o expire and what imm office will you attend

6 minutes ago, bootly66 said:

Expire early April

As explained earlier. You can apply up to  30 days before the expiry date of your non O visa. 45 days at SOME offices. You state your non o expires early April. Meaning you would need to be making your extension at imm office that allows 45day prior to non o expiry.

Which imm office??

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As explained earlier. You can apply up to  30 days before the expiry date of your non O visa. 45 days at SOME offices. You state your non o expires early April. Meaning you would need to be making your extension at imm office that allows 45day prior to non o expiry.

Which imm office??

Nonthaburi

17 hours ago, bootly66 said:

My O visa is valid until April and then was to be extended to retirement. If i extend it before March 1st, would i still have to show the 4/800k after 3 months as the extension was granted before the new rules come into effect??

Even under the new rules you don't have to show the 800K 3 months after the extension. If you don't keep the required minimum balances during the year before applying for the second extension, the second extension could be denied.

There is no definitive answer to your question. Even if applying before March 1st I would keep the minimum balances during the year. There is no way of knowing for sure how IO's will treat extensions next year that were started just before March 1st.

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not being a smart a##, but just to explain. Your non o was not extended. You obtained a 12 month permission of stay. You don't have a visa anymore. Every 12 months you will apply for new 12 month permission of stay based on retirement. When you do your next "extension" 2020 you will need to follow new rules. 800k before and after and then..400k as per new directives.

To say someone no longer has a visa is not correct. They do, and without the correct visa they would not be granted an extension of stay. The original entry visa remains important as a qualification for all future extensions, but cannot (if used/expired) be used for any future entries.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP ,I just re read your post. You say due to be extended April. You can only apply for 12 month permission of stay 30 days or less before your non o expires. 45 days at CW.

When exactly does your non o expire and what imm office will you attend

Just asking... when I first arrived, I applied for and received my 90 day O visa and 1 year extension both at the same time. I didn't have to get the 90 day and then wait 2 months before applying for my first extension. If I remember correctly, it took about 3 weeks to get my passport back from immigration. Was that normal, or did immigration do something out of the ordinary on mine in 2016?

Edited by BertM

3 hours ago, BertM said:

Just asking... when I first arrived, I applied for and received my 90 day O visa and 1 year extension both at the same time. I didn't have to get the 90 day and then wait 2 months before applying for my first extension. If I remember correctly, it took about 3 weeks to get my passport back from immigration. Was that normal, or did immigration do something out of the ordinary on mine in 2016?

I'm far from being visa expert as you can see from post elviajero above explaining things to me. 

I think you perhaps converted a tourist visa or visa exempt to a non o and for some reason they allowed application for 12 month permit at same time. Perhaps elviajero will be along to give you clear answer

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm far from being visa expert as you can see from post elviajero above explaining things to me. 

I think you perhaps converted a tourist visa or visa exempt to a non o and for some reason they allowed application for 12 month permit at same time. Perhaps elviajero will be along to give you clear answer

Yes, I came in visa exempt (in 2016), went to the US embassy for income affidavit, signed a 6 mth lease agmt, then went to Immigration within the first week that I was here. They called me to come pick up my passport after about 3 weeks before my 30 day visa exempt expired. I received the 90 day O visa, the 12 mth extension and a multiple re-entry permit. All stamps were in my passport when I picked it up, so I was good to go for 15 mths. I was living in Chonburi at the time. That worked out great for me...

Edited by BertM
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BertM said:

Yes, I came in visa exempt (in 2016), went to the US embassy for income affidavit, signed a 6 mth lease agmt, then went to Immigration within the first week that I was here. They called me to come pick up my passport after about 3 weeks before my 30 day visa exempt expired. I received the 90 day O visa, the 12 mth extension and a multiple re-entry permit. All stamps were in my passport when I picked it up, so I was good to go for 15 mths. I was living in Chonburi at the time. That worked out great for me...

That was normal back in 2016. But now you would have to wait about 2 months to apply for the extension.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That was normal back in 2016. But now you would have to wait about 2 months to apply for the extension.

Thanks Ubonjoe... I have a friend who wanted to know the steps in case he comes over. I assume he would need to open a Thai bank account and deposit the 800k after receiving his 90 day O visa to be able to apply for his 12 mth extension since no more income affidavits are being issued from US embassy. Or, would he need to deposit the 800k just to get the 90 day O visa?

Would 2 monthly transfers would work for his first 12 mth extension? Or, would be better to do the 800k?

Edited by BertM

OP, my concern would be that when you get your 12 month extension it is dated from the original expiry date, not the renewal date ( at least, that’s the case with mine from CW). In other words, if it is due on April 1 but you get your extension early before 1 March it will show April 2020 as the next due date.

When that date comes around the IO might think that since the new rules will have been in force for more than a year by that time you should have been sticking to those new rules.