Xbox 360

beammeup

Does anyone know how much a bare bones system is at MBK? Mine has dies a serious death and I have around $600.00 in games so I need a new box. I have all the extras already so just a basic system. I am working in the States just now so I can pick up one here for $299.00 All my games are region free so I dont care if its a jap one chinese one. Should have waited for the PS3!! I have seen them in Had Yai for 15000 for a hard drive wireless system. but I dont want to pay for all the extras again!

Hi

I asked at MBK about 2 weeks ago and was given a price of 14000bt at about 4 stores they all seem to be the same price. There is another store near victory monument BST stop called gcorners and the bloke is very helpfull and speaks really good English his link is:

gcorners

His price is 14500 for a package but sure if you talk to him he might do the xbox alone cheaper.

regards

Im also looking at picking one up (for gaming and as a media center extender) but I hear that alot have had technical problems, does anyone know where one might pick up a legit version that I could return if it failed?

There is the heat problem for the Xbox360 wich causes the red ring of death and a extra cooler is maybe the answer : http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_360_high_speed_air_cooler.htm

Yah the red ring of death! That pretty much summs it up! Mine died only after 1 year, I tried to revive it using the heatgun method but it only fixed it for a few hrs now it just freezes up after I load a game. I really hope they have fixed this problem with the later issued models. I picked mine up in the states so maybe its only the ones made over there?? If the bare bones system is only 1000 baht cheaper then I think I'll pick another one up in the states and sneak it through at Sawanapoom.

Cheers

Yah the red ring of death! That pretty much summs it up! Mine died only after 1 year, I tried to revive it using the heatgun method but it only fixed it for a few hrs now it just freezes up after I load a game. I really hope they have fixed this problem with the later issued models. I picked mine up in the states so maybe its only the ones made over there?? If the bare bones system is only 1000 baht cheaper then I think I'll pick another one up in the states and sneak it through at Sawanapoom.

Cheers

The leadfree solder wich is used for the BGA (ball grid array) GPU is more sensitive for heat stress than the old type solder with lead what never had this problems.

Not only the xbox360 but also the Apple Ibook videochip have this problem.

But it take balls to try this with a heatgun, but it take even more balls to reball see:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...579364&st=0

But you have to wait a bit longer for the new xbox360 models or mount a good cooler inside after your 90 day USA warranty period ofcourse :o

Edited by Khun Jack

I just paid 16000 for mine at Time Game in MBK. I'm pretty annoyed actually. Before the CHinese New Year, I was told 15000, then for a week after the holiday I couldn't find one anywhere! Finally they get some in stock, and the price is up. This is one thing that drives me nuts about Thailand. YOu ask how much something is, and you can see them thinking, probably.."How bad should I screw over this farang?" I was quoted 3 different prices by the same store in one week.

16000 for a chipped new premium, with 3 burnt games of my choice. That's 50 dollars more than a new premium in the states, though it did come chipped.

I just paid 16000 for mine at Time Game in MBK. I'm pretty annoyed actually. Before the CHinese New Year, I was told 15000, then for a week after the holiday I couldn't find one anywhere! Finally they get some in stock, and the price is up. This is one thing that drives me nuts about Thailand. YOu ask how much something is, and you can see them thinking, probably.."How bad should I screw over this farang?" I was quoted 3 different prices by the same store in one week.

16000 for a chipped new premium, with 3 burnt games of my choice. That's 50 dollars more than a new premium in the states, though it did come chipped.

You gotta look around mate, when I got min in Jan the first shop I went to quoted me 17,000 with 5 games, another 16,000 etc I eventually settled for what I thought was a decent price of 15,500 with 5 games and a 20 GB hard drive*.

*My hard drive actually turned out to be 14 GB nad not 20GB, I found this a bit strange but I couldnt be bothered trekking all the way back to MBK and Ive since found that 14 GB is LOADS, played over 10 games now, all saved and havent made a dint in my memory.

PS3's are 20000bt for the 20g and 23500 for the 60g last time i asked, no games included. The price is dropping all the time though.

p.s. are you in the U.S. or over here in Thailand? thats a bargin price you paid. You can also upgrade the harddrive to a 200g laptop harddrive so not really any point in getting the 60g version.

Edited by miniwai

I'm in Bermuda 1 hour from NYC. I've been watching the prices on them for a while now - I am thinking of buying several now at the low price and selling them here/US etc.

Not trying to start a war, but I think give it a year, and Sony will turn the PS3 scene around then everyone will want one.

Right now, no games, no accel graphics support on linux etc. When thats fixed watch out..

If you price it out even now, at say $500, its a steal of a deal for what you get when you consider the boxes potential.

Cheers

The leadfree solder wich is used for the BGA (ball grid array) GPU is more sensitive for heat stress than the old type solder with lead what never had this problems.

Not only the xbox360 but also the Apple Ibook videochip have this problem.

But it take balls to try this with a heatgun, but it take even more balls to reball see:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...579364&st=0

But you have to wait a bit longer for the new xbox360 models or mount a good cooler inside after your 90 day USA warranty period ofcourse :o

I read an interesting report saying the fault is the PCB distorting due to heat. I think I will try to fix it again as I may not have used enough heat sink compound when I put it all back together. The problem I am having now isnt the ring of lights anymore its the games crash after 10mins. If it doesnt work after that the only reballing I'll be doing will be with a sledge hammer

I read an interesting report saying the fault is the PCB distorting due to heat. I think I will try to fix it again as I may not have used enough heat sink compound when I put it all back together. The problem I am having now isnt the ring of lights anymore its the games crash after 10mins. If it doesnt work after that the only reballing I'll be doing will be with a sledge hammer

Been reading for hours on the forums over this Xbox360 problem because I have to repair (no) try to repair a xbox360 with this problem.

Summary, problem caused by;

1: low quality motherboard

2: motherboard and heatsink are incorrect mounted

3: motherboard warps and some CPU and/or GPU balls get disconnected

The heatgun solution does not work, the heat necessary for making a real solder reflow will destroy the CPU.

One guy reports after heating he stands on the cpu for a while and that seems to work for some weeks now.

Artic silver and some rework on the heatsinks to put more pressure on the cpu and prevent the motherboard from warping and extra cooling fans can help maybe.

The advice is on the forums immediately after buying a new xbox360 to put extra cooling in the box.

I thinking of buying a new xbox360 for spare parts in Bangkok but I wonder what do you get if you buy a Xbox360 which is already convenient modded so the warranty sticker is broken ........

Dodgy shops in Saphan Lek had a bad reputation selling new PS2's with old parts.

• 1 month later...

I would advise anyone in Thailand NOT to buy xbox360 at this time. I bought mine new from Time Game. After 3 months the machine crashed, no red ring of death and since there is no video signal out. The problem is inside the unit, not the cables. I installed extra fans and kept the unit ventilated. It's a design fault.Time Game don't care and they do NOT offer any recourse, nor service. They take your money then forget you ever graced their shop. Be very careful with these thieves, yes, thieves, they stole games from my machine and denied it.

I would just like to add that my Ps1, PS2, and Xbox have never malfunctioned, the PS1 is nearly 10 years old and my ps2 is 5 years old - funny how 360 didn't even last 3 months. Shame on microsoft and SHAME on Time Game.

Now I have a machine that it seems is unfixable in this country.

Please be warned.

I would advise anyone in Thailand NOT to buy xbox360 at this time. I bought mine new from Time Game. After 3 months the machine crashed, no red ring of death and since there is no video signal out. The problem is inside the unit, not the cables. I installed extra fans and kept the unit ventilated. It's a design fault.Time Game don't care and they do NOT offer any recourse, nor service. They take your money then forget you ever graced their shop. Be very careful with these thieves, yes, thieves, they stole games from my machine and denied it.

I would just like to add that my Ps1, PS2, and Xbox have never malfunctioned, the PS1 is nearly 10 years old and my ps2 is 5 years old - funny how 360 didn't even last 3 months. Shame on microsoft and SHAME on Time Game.

Please be warned.

I have three xbox360's all bought in Thailand, Have had two of them for over a year and never had a single problem. What do you mean you installed extra fans? Aftermarket coolers have a reputation for breaking 360's. Why did you think you could better the 100 million$+ design by adding a cheap chinese aftermarket cooler?

I don't know a single person who's had a problem with their 360 - I'm sure there are faulty units, and I understand theres a 2-3% odd rate of malfunctions. However if you had it modified in any way then that really is your own fault.

Please be warned.

I have three xbox360's all bought in Thailand, Have had two of them for over a year and never had a single problem. What do you mean you installed extra fans? Aftermarket coolers have a reputation for breaking 360's. Why did you think you could better the 100 million$+ design by adding a cheap chinese aftermarket cooler?

I don't know a single person who's had a problem with their 360 - I'm sure there are faulty units, and I understand theres a 2-3% odd rate of malfunctions. However if you had it modified in any way then that really is your own fault.

Clearly, a modified machine would not quality for warranty. But AjarnRuss didn't say he modified the machine.

It brings up an interesting question though - usually, there's a manufacturer's guarantee on such a machine. If it breaks you can return it to Microsoft and they give you a new one or fix it. Normal procedure. Does that somehow not apply to XBox360 in Thailand? Are they all gray imports or something?

Thanks for any info - I am not buying one now but thinking about getting a console and complete lack of service would certainly be a turn-off. I mean, no matter how often they do or do not break, I want a 1 year warranty.

Edited by nikster

Please be warned.

In another Xbox360 thread in this forum I offered to modify the xbox360 for cost price and I received now two dead units, after modifying the cooling blocks clamps both started up and played for hours.

Its to early to say that is is a permanent fix and I am still tweaking things but it looks good, the cooling blocks temps are after hours playing in a non air conditioned room acceptable. Attached two thermocouples on the cooling blocks and logging temps with the PC.