Cartoon of tennis star Serena Williams not racist - Australia watchdog

webfact

Playing the "race card" for every little thing is extremely overplayed and wearisome. The PC crowd is totally out of control...as well as out of touch. 

Kudos for coming to a normal, sane decision on this non-issue. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, samran said:

The problem is that with social media is the ‘outrage machine’ can go into overdrive, sucking attention away from legitimate problems and issues in society. 

Totally agree. Some persons run a microscope over every issue and response in the hope 

they can be offended. And it has gotten out of hand.

Soon most people will need to address a media conference with a gag in their mouth in case they offend someone.

14 hours ago, car720 said:

Joliffe as well.  :cheesy:

I still have some of his booklets.

They were drawings out outback Australia and are still relevant and funny.

White and aboriginals were depicted in a humorous way.

But they could never be printed in a public forum now.

Political rubbish. It depicts by caricature both aborigines and white fellas (as aborigines say)

And no one should be offended but the publishers refuse to print these old and funny drawings.

8 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I still have some of his booklets.

They were drawings out outback Australia and are still relevant and funny.

White and aboriginals were depicted in a humorous way.

But they could never be printed in a public forum now.

Political rubbish. It depicts by caricature both aborigines and white fellas (as aborigines say)

And no one should be offended but the publishers refuse to print these old and funny drawings.

so true and it would not surprise me if people complained about Mad magazine as well.   :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It has everything to do with PC. PC is all about terminology. I am not gay, I am non binary. I am not black, I am African American. I am not lesbian, I am pansexual. And on and on and on. It has nothing to do with reality, and is all about trying not to offend anyone, anytime. Black people are as African American, as I am Russian American, and many of you are Irish American, or Somali Swedish, or British Thai. It means nothing. It is just a political term.

Oh, it’s something you don’t like, so it’s ‘PC’.

I think those other than Serena and the Japanese lass that say they are offended are PC offenders.

If Serena or the other lass say they are offended then it's offensive to them. I don't know why people should think it's ok to do things that make people unhappy, unless of course they deserve it.

So does Serena deserve to be teased, ridiculed, offended. Probably, yes. I don't know her too well.

But saying the cartoon was not meant to displease Serena is not sensible.

8 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

45 pages of guys defending Australian racism for those who are interested.

If you look at the photo picture you supplied and the caricature, they are the same.

No one is defending racism, just the right to post cartoon caricature as part

of the democratic right to freedom of press.

The right to show up things like the storm tantrum this supposed "sportswoman" displayed when "she spat the dummy".

And then her lame arguement that she was not a cheat because she had borne children.

Even though her coach said he was abusing the rules as he was coaching her from the sidelines, therefore 

Getting the chair umpire to issue a warning.

Then she totally denied her winning opponent any sort of kudos, by still trying to claim the centre stage.

It is silly PC replies by the likes of you that flame real racism. Caricatures are not racist.

They define "whites" in the same way you call racist if a dark coloured person is similarly depicted.

That makes you... sensitive and culture cringing perhaps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

If you look at the photo picture you supplied and the caricature, they are the same.

No one is defending racism, just the right to post cartoon caricature as part

of the democratic right to freedom of press.

The right to show up things like the storm tantrum this supposed "sportswoman" displayed when "she spat the dummy".

And then her lame arguement that she was not a cheat because she had borne children.

Even though her coach said he was abusing the rules as he was coaching her from the sidelines, therefore 

Getting the chair umpire to issue a warning.

Then she totally denied her winning opponent any sort of kudos, by still trying to claim the centre stage.

It is silly PC replies by the likes of you that flame real racism. Caricatures are not racist.

They define "whites" in the same way you call racist if a dark coloured person is similarly depicted.

That makes you... sensitive and culture cringing perhaps.

Nice one. Cartoons are just that. Comedy is just that. The whole Kevin Hart thing was too much. He is a comedian. Nearly any man would say he does not want his son to grow up to be gay. Saying that, is not homophobic. It is funny. It is true. I have alot of gay friends, and I do not think they would find that offensive. I think they would relate to that statement, in terms of the societal challenges. 

Comedians are supposed to be funny. Comedians are supposed to offend. That has always been part of comedy, and hopefully the PC crowd will not cow comedians into trying to always be "correct". Being gay is not easy. Ask any gay person. Why would a father want his son to be gay, and why is saying that somehow disrespectful, or homophobic? It is not about that. It is about extremely thin skin. We are living in the era of thin skin, and people getting offended by everything. So what? If I offend someone, because they have really thin skin, is that my issue? Fortunately, I am not famous, so the only people I am going to offend might be some super PC people on this forum. And I say again, so what? 

30 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I'm trying to figure out on what occasion I would be referring to a friend by their race, or discussing with them how they prefer to have their race described...

On another international forum, I am constantly asked my background, previous jobs and race or ancestral race.

It is not a problem with me, I have no cultural cringe.

I am a Caucasian Aussie. On two visits to Canada, I was quizzed on the same issues. Not a problem to me. I am what I am.

And cannot change that.

Here in Thailand, the people in my village and district constantly ask where I come from and so on.

If you do not know the cultural background of your friend, you are not a friend, just an acquaintance. And vice versa.

And you are missing out on a dialogue, because you suffer from cultural cringe syndrome.

2 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

On another international forum, I am constantly asked my background, previous jobs and race or ancestral race.

It is not a problem with me, I have no cultural cringe.

I am a Caucasian Aussie. On two visits to Canada, I was quizzed on the same issues. Not a problem to me. I am what I am.

And cannot change that.

Here in Thailand, the people in my village and district constantly ask where I come from and so on.

If you do not know the cultural background of your friend, you are not a friend, just an acquaintance. And vice versa.

And you are missing out on a dialogue, because you suffer from cultural cringe syndrome.

Yes, but I would likely know that long before I would call them my friend.

I was specifically referring talking with friends, not chatting with people I meet in at a bar, in a hotel lobby or in an online forum.

See the difference?

I have lost track of the number of times in my life i have had to re-learn the 'correct' word for 'blacks'. I think I started off with 'negro' but about the time of Roots that became verbotten. I recall another kid in school saying I had to call them coloured- this was in Canada in the 70s.  Again, that changed within about 5 years. I think we are on the 4th or 5th incarnation now. Why would African-American be correct- most blacks are NOT American. It's not racist to refer to a Caucasian as white is it?

Again from my youth I remember caricatures. A UK tv show called spitting image used rubber puppets as caricatures of famous people and politicians. I recall there was outrage when the Brit Queen Mother (who was always considered out of bounds) was finally on the show, IIRC she may have even had Gin  & tonic tattooed on her knuckles! Rumour control had it that the Royals actually liked the show and given the Queen's disdain for Thatcher she enjoyed that parody.

In the second pic you can see at the very least Grace Jones, Tina Turner and Michael Jackson (along with Mick Jagger and  others) being caricatured. They weren't scarred by the experience- its time Millenials grew a pair. This was a cartoon, not WW2.

spit.jpg

spit1.jpg

Edit: one point for every Rock Star you can ID. ????

Edited by Psimbo

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, but I would likely know that long before I would call them my friend.

I was specifically referring talking with friends, not chatting with people I meet in at a bar, in a hotel lobby or in an online forum.

See the difference?

Then your post is irrevelant.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Making your foolish response doubly so...

I do not want to get into s debate with you about semantics. The final response from a court in Australia

gave a verdict that it is not racist. And Aus courts  never support racism in this day and age.

If you do not understand caricature that has existed for centuries, you do not understand democracy or freedom of speech.

Lets leave it there.

7 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I do not want to get into s debate with you about semantics. The final response from a court in Australia

gave a verdict that it is not racist. And Aus courts  never support racism in this day and age.

If you do not understand caricature that has existed for centuries, you do not understand democracy or freedom of speech.

Lets leave it there.

Not sure what you're about, but I saw nothing wrong with the cartoon.

I don't blame you for not wanting to get in a debate given your level of comprehension and whatnot.