Finally got year extension on non o-a retirement stamp

After arriving here in November, and a lot of trips to Jontium soi five I managed to change from a tourist stamp to a non O retirement stamp.

Then today I got the magical one year extension!!

Ok I now have a few questions

What do I need in order to get a bank account? I do not have one  ( If this confuses you then please DO NOT REPLY )

When is my first reporting date?  my original non O stamp was due to expire on  2 Apr so I am guessing that is it?

I have read on the forums here that I can get more than a years worth of use out of this stamp. How do I do this please?

Jim

25 minutes ago, jim320 said:

What do I need in order to get a bank account? I do not have one  ( If this confuses you then please DO NOT REPLY )

Find a branch of a bank that will let someone without a work permit apply for a savings account. You may have to visit several banks/branches to find one that will help. Bangkok bank is probably the best choice.

Required Documents for opening an account

1. Foreigner with a work permit 

• Passport

• Work Permit

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Foreign-Customers/Bangkok-Bank-Accounts

When is my first reporting date?  my original non O stamp was due to expire on  2 Apr so I am guessing that is it?

It's 90 days from the date you applied for the extension. The extension application counted as your first address report (90 day report).

I have read on the forums here that I can get more than a years worth of use out of this stamp. How do I do this please?

You are probably referring to the fact that the second years extension isn't applied for, for more than 1 year from first entering the country as a tourist.

You will need to apply for the second extension on or within the last 45 (maybe 30) days of your current 1 year stays expiry date. 

Edited by elviajero

6 hours ago, jim320 said:

You are confusing the extension of stay based upon retirement that you have now that is not a non-oa visa (as show in your topic title) with one.

A OA visa can only be applied for at an embassy or official Thai consulate in your home country or country of legal residence.

You will have to apply for a new extension of stay near the end of the one you have now.

• Like 2

OP stated he "arrived on tourist stamp". Could mean visa exempt stamp. Anyway seems he did not have A-O. As ubon mentioned op you are confusing 2 different things. You now have a 12 month permission of stay. Before that expires you will apply for your next 12 month extension. If you don't wish to extend you just leave Thailand before your current " until date"

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, In the title I mistyped, should just be non O.

Is there any way I can edit it?

Will the assistance of a friend who runs a business here , I will try to open an bank account later this week.

I arrived on a visa exempt stamp.

5 minutes ago, jim320 said:

Will the assistance of a friend who runs a business here , I will try to open an bank account later this week.

I opened my savings account with just my passport and Thai driving licence to provide address.  (NI O with one year extension of stay) , branch was SCB. 

8 hours ago, jim320 said:

I managed to change from a tourist stamp to a non O retirement stamp.

So, you came on a Tourist visa? Is it correct? Where did you get the Tourist visa? 

Did you show income letter from your embassy to get the extension? If so, which embassy?

For opening a bank account, @elviajero has already posted documents needed for Bangkok bank.

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

It's 90 days from the date you applied for the extension. The extension application counted as your first address report (90 day report).

Is it 90-day from the date when applied for the extension or 90-day from your last entry into Thailand?

What stamp? Do you have a sticker (a visa sticker)? It is not a stamp. It is a visa sticker that says O-A? If so, yes you can use ti for two years. You cannot use any kind of stamps for two years. Stamps are valid for your stay inside Thailand and they will tell you exactly how long you can stay inside Thailand and if you cross that date, you're overstayer with grave consequences.

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I opened my savings account with just my passport and Thai driving licence to provide address.

Ok, when was that? Looks like a driving license has some value. How can I get one? Is there any agent in Pattaya area who can help me getting a Thai Driver license using my US driver license and an International Permit?

6 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Ok, when was that? Looks like a driving license has some value. How can I get one? Is there any agent in Pattaya area who can help me getting a Thai Driver license using my US driver license and an International Permit?

Why use an agent, its a pretty easy process. Take your US license and a Resident certificate to DLT, a reflex and eye test etc.

6 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

it was 3 months ago. 

Definitely, a Thai driving licence is a good thing to have, as you can use it as ID. No need to use an agent, it's an easy process, if a bit lengthy.  You will need a medical certificate from a doctor, you can get one in any clinic, just drop in.  You will need certificate of residency from Thai Immigration, so a visit there will take a bit of time.  Then go to the Transport Office of the Province where you are staying, take your passport and ID Permit, with photo copies. Fill in the application form and go through the process.  Took me about 2 hours. You get a 2 year temporary licence that can be exchanged  for a 5 year one after that first 2 years. If you need a motor bike licence, they are two separate documents.    

38 minutes ago, jim320 said:

You still need to do 90 day reporting as well and that is bases upon your last arrival date to Thailand not when you recieved your non-o. You need to do some reading to sort out your understanding of what you have and what the requirements are.

The OP should confirm what his next (first) 90-day report due date is directly with Jomtien Immigration. Since he talks about a visa-exempt (30-day) entry sometime in November and subsequently an "original non O stamp was due to expire on 2 Apr", with the exception of ubonjoe - and even he needs precise and accurate details, it's probably best not to rely on best guesses from fellow forum members.

BTW, well done on the timing, beating the UK income letter deadline and still getting the long-stay permit.

• Like 1

Thank you "NanLaew", 

Getting the original Non - O retirement stamp was a nightmare lol

About seven trips to immigration, always leaving with a request to get a copy of some other paperwork.

The income letter from the embassy had to be counter signed and stamped by the ministry in Bangkok.

The last visit had me doing a hand drawn map of where I live as they would not accept a printed one ??

Getting the extension was straight forward lol

3 hours ago, onera1961 said:
11 hours ago, elviajero said:

Is it 90-day from the date when applied for the extension or 90-day from your last entry into Thailand?

90 days from the date of the extension application.

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

You still need to do 90 day reporting as well and that is bases upon your last arrival date to Thailand not when you recieved your non-o. You need to do some reading to sort out your understanding of what you have and what the requirements are.

No. The first 90 day report will become due 90 days after the extension application date as that would be counted as the first address report.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 4:36 AM, jim320 said:

Thank you "NanLaew", 

Getting the original Non - O retirement stamp was a nightmare lol

About seven trips to immigration, always leaving with a request to get a copy of some other paperwork.

The income letter from the embassy had to be counter signed and stamped by the ministry in Bangkok.

The last visit had me doing a hand drawn map of where I live as they would not accept a printed one ??

Getting the extension was straight forward lol

Sounds like they really wanted to give you the runaround especially with telling you to get the MFA chop on the BE income letter. AFAIK, Jomtien Immigration don't normally ask for that bit of hokey pokey, certainly never asked from me over maybe 4 or 5 extensions and I don't recall anyone reporting having to do it at Jomtien on these hallowed pages.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Sounds like they really wanted to give you the runaround especially with telling you to get the MFA chop on the BE income letter. AFAIK, Jomtien Immigration don't normally ask for that bit of hokey pokey, certainly never asked from me over maybe 4 or 5 extensions and I don't recall anyone reporting having to do it at Jomtien on these hallowed pages.

That was a standard run-around for the Non-O stamp at the Jomtien office since a couple years back.  I got it on mine, but during the time I applied there, many had begun doing this, so she stopped accepting any income in any form (to drive up her agent-quota).  Glad to hear the old workaround with the MFA Stamp works, again.  Note that it can be done my mail, which can save a trip to Bangkok.

• Like 1