Using religion in election campaigns not against the law: EC

snoop1130

Using religion in election campaigns not against the law: EC

By The Nation

740d8ad7798e7a6ed23534226f58aea5.jpeg

Paiboon's Facebook

The Election Commission (EC) ruled on Tuesday that it is acceptable to use religion while campaigning for the upcoming general election. 

EC secretary-general Jarungwit Phumma said this decision was made in response to a petition from a Buddhist coordination centre, which questioned a candidate’s use of the Lord Buddha in his campaign banner.

“Using religion is not against election-related laws,” Jarungwit explained. 

Paiboon Nititawan, leader of the People Reform Party, has been promising to solve the country’s problems through Buddhism in his campaign. 

Paiboon’s campaign posters say that his party will rely on Buddha’s teachings to help solve poverty and hardship. However, the extra-large words “Lord Buddha” on the poster caught the attention of people, prompting the centre to ask questions. Paiboon has also been using this tagline on his social media platforms including Facebook.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30364796

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-26

5 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

My ex-bird said Farangs were put here to help with poverty and hardship .. So in future maybe we will be referred to as " Lord Farang " .. 

But would your 'bird' want to be Lady Farang?

• Like 1

Well, won't help the Palang Pracharat party anyway.

If they had a procession down the street with a fragment of the true cross, half a dozen buddha footprints , and Mohammeds magic carpet it still wouldn't make them popular with the electorate.

Mind you, if they were to crucify their PM candidate......

for real !! Landslide victory.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Using religion is not against election-related laws,”

Any religion?

Maybe the Prachachat party in southern Thailand formed by Muslim politicians of the Wadah group should consider this symbol for their campaigns and election ballot:

I1.JPG.f2031c69591ae26770eaae870c2b8a63.JPG

What could possibly be illegal about It?

14 hours ago, Cadbury said:

What's with all this Lord Buddha thing? Lord Buddha comes from India. Have Thai people morphed into Indians to steal the Buddhist religion?

And Christian religions comes from where?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Any Rastafarians standing?

Actually I got that wrong. It's :  

" I and I don't expect to be justified, by these laws of men "

Apparently,  I and I means ' we ' in Rasta lingo 

"Paiboon’s campaign posters say that his party will rely on Buddha’s teachings to help solve poverty and hardship."

How about some science, logic and common sense?

Oh...sorry...forgot where I was!

Where is my amulet? 

:coffee1:

20 hours ago, Cadbury said:

What's with all this Lord Buddha thing? Lord Buddha comes from India. Have Thai people morphed into Indians to steal the Buddhist religion?

And JC comes from Sumeria and Palestine.

Have Christians morphed into Palestinians to steal the religion.

And so on.

If you read a tad of history, the Indian hierarchy, known as Brahmans, set up many outposts in South East Asia,

the biggest being the huge complex at Ankor Wat and Ankor Thom in the now country of Cambodia.

There are huge complexes in Indonesia as well.

This was mostly before the influence of Islam.

Parts of the now country of Thailand were under their control.

The Thai royalty will invoke some of the Brahman influence at the ascendancy of the Thai King.

I think I may still say that and not be subject to the wrath of the moderators.

Lastly, Buddhism is practiced in many Asian countries, from Japan to Sri Lanka. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

As far as I am aware Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion.

You are entirely correct. Buddha is not considered a god.

Not that you would know it if you ever went to a purely Thai "service" as I have many times.

Thai pay homage to Buddha in ways that would be instantly recognisable in any western church.

Burning incense, chanting, the head monk splashing water over the congregation and so on.

In Thailand, this philosophy is a quasi religion, even though Buddha stated he was never to be revered. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Prissana Pescud said:

You are entirely correct. Buddha is not considered a god.

Not that you would know it if you ever went to a purely Thai "service" as I have many times.

Thai pay homage to Buddha in ways that would be instantly recognisable in any western church.

Burning incense, chanting, the head monk splashing water over the congregation and so on.

In Thailand, this philosophy is a quasi religion, even though Buddha stated he was never to be revered. 

As some dodgy journalists might be criitcised for 'never letting the the truth get in the way of a good story.'

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As some dodgy journalists might be criitcised for 'never letting the the truth get in the way of a good story.'

And exactly what part of my post was untruthful.

You have every right to disagree with me.

But as you offer no reason or fact for calling me a liar (untruthful).

your post is entirely meaningless. Drivel

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

And exactly what part of my post was untruthful.

You have every right to disagree with me.

But as you offer no reason or fact for calling me a liar (untruthful).

your post is entirely meaningless. Drivel

Firstly I apologise for you thinking I called you a liar. Looking back I could have worded my post clearer.

The phrase I used, 'never letting the the truth get in the way of a good story', was meant to point out the way buddhism has morphed from a philosophy into a religion, and picked up fiction along the the way to become what it is here today.

As you said, "Burning incense, chanting, the head monk splashing water over the congregation and so on.

In Thailand, this philosophy is a quasi religion, even though Buddha stated he was never to be revered."

• Thanks 1

Buddhism is a philosophy it was never meant to be a religion - greed and political meddling has turned it i to one !

Since when can the puppets in the EC decide now what is and what isn’t against the law ?

Have they been elevated to the status of a court now?

They can’t even organize fair and safe elections - which should be the only task for them to carry out - last time they failed miserably!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect