Are we still offended by the F word

Justgrazing

I love the f word. But it needs to be used sparingly and in the proper context. If a person says it in every sentence, it loses its effectiveness. It's like calling every white person a racist. It used to be shocking, now it's just a meaningless word. But I digress. If a person who rarely drops an f bomb does drop it, you know some serious shit (another word that will be censored) is about to go down. 

Offended by it, no. I just wish people would use it to make an emphatic point, not as a run of the mill adjective.

Edited by bkkgriz
Ah, shit wasn't censored.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What an interesting topic !

It's in my vocabulary but I never use it in normal (unheated) communications until the party I am communicating with uses it. Then, once they drop a <deleted>, I figure "okay, you're human and down to earth like me". So then with reasonable usage, I'll reciprocate, what the <deleted>, now we're communicating. I even find in business that many females use it. When and if they do, they gain my respect. <deleted>, it's just a "juicy" word (as geriatrickid noted). A very descriptive word. Also quite useful with "mother" said in front of it.

Can't really see that its got much to do with education, or lack thereof. I deal with some pretty highly educated professionals. Their vernacular can be quite colourful.

• Like 1

I find it amusing that many English still think "bloody" is a profane word, not to be spoken in public (e.g., bloody nuisance).

It seems foolish to me that it's considered profane to say words like p...y and c..k, but OK to say vagina and penis. 
I didn't know there were still people alive who were born in the Victorian era.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes.... and no!

I never felt offended by Billy Connely when watching his Tv shows, (and once 'live' in the Sultanate of Oman - even the Omanis thought he was hilarious. - The entire show brim full with the 'F' word.

I hear some people using it in frustration. I see it on T shirts - particularly here in Thailand. Black T shirts with the word on huge white letters. Not bothered - up to them! I think to myself that I wouldn't wear one. not my style.

My neighbour here in Thailand is French. I feel offended when he persists in using it in front of my Thai wife and daughter. He knows we don't like it - he just likes to feel clever, so even though I've mentioned it to him - he still 'F' this and that. so I don't talk to him much - it offends me.

I was in the British Navy for along time. Foul language was the norm on the lower deck and I also come from the South East of UK. I never had a problem using it and I still can when I choose. I rarely used it when I became an officer. I tend not to use it in public - I've now learned when I can..... and when I can't.

It isalso a powerful word and can be used to perfection when someone irrtates the hell out of you or you hurt yourself. To tell someone to 'F - off or to relieve pain is very satisfying.

I love the 'F' word! Our English language would be less interesting if it were not used.

• Like 2

One can never been wrong by being polite.

Some don't use the word in presence of some category of people : children, ladies...

I assume out of respect.

Why not been respectful to everyone ?

It may be plenty used by some, in some circumstances.

I still not hear it on the news, neither read it in the newspapers,

so I conclude it is not that current.

14 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

I love the 'F' word! Our English language would be less interesting if it were not used.

555555....I was just thinking about a certain movie that wouldn't have the same charm if not for the F word....and a few other "colorful" words.  Curse words are like a firearm: it's most effective in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.  And this dude does.  Can you imagine this movie without the F word? 

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

Call me old fashioned but I find swearing degrading and repulsive.

There's no need or reason to ' F ' this and F that when men or teenages are in a group.

Yes, I do swear at home alone when something doesn't work properly, but not in the company of others.

Just my opinion.

I agree totally. To use expletives just shows a lack of education where the individual does not have a grasp of the English Language. English is one of the richest languages where there is a useful word for almost everything and every situation. To use expletives just makes the individual appear LoSo, to use a Thai expression, which he almost certainly is.

5 minutes ago, ResandePohm said:

I agree totally. To use expletives just shows a lack of education where the individual does not have a grasp of the English Language. English is one of the richest languages where there is a useful word for almost everything and every situation. To use expletives just makes the individual appear LoSo, to use a Thai expression, which he almost certainly is.

This is absolute holier-than-thou BS. A lot of highly intelligent people swear. Sometimes to shock or provoke, especially for emphasis. For example, they could for example say 'indubitably', but in certain company may prefer the more joyous and rumbustious 'f***ing right!' ????

• Like 1

I see the f-word in use in various situations with all sort of people--educated and not so. Personally, I am not offended by the f-word. I use it more often when I am in the company of people who use it. Is it more prevalent in uncultured or uneducated groups of people? I think so, but it is also common among men; using "locker-room talk" as my f**king pres would say. 

I was taken aback by a certain Australian lady some months ago. As near as I can recount, she was annoyed at the room she got in a small hotel in Ao Nang; and said, In all me f**kin' life, I'll be f**ked if I've ever had a worse f**kin' room. Even the f**kin' pillows were f**cked.

I took it to mean she was making a superlative statement about her displeasure with her room.    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

As a northerner, if people are offended by the F word, I simply replace it with "Twot" with an "A" not an "O". Doesn't offend our American cousins as most of them don't know what it means.

Really? A joke I remember from my high school days in Virginia--early 60's--was the phrase a TWA stewardess was supposed to have said, "Would you prefer TWA coffee or TWA tea?"

• Thanks 1

I am a habitual user of the F word when in conversation I get excited or enthusiastic about a subject or I get upset about a situation. That is usually fine most of the time except when i am with non-native English speakers and because this is a Thailand forum I will specifically mention Thais. Unless they are used to being in conversation with we potty-mouthed individuals i have found every time you use the F word  (more so than the C word or other swear word) it seems to get interpreted as a "Go F yourself " even if it is when you see a little hottie as you casually say "look at the F bum/tits on her " for example.  To us Aussies, but no doubt a lot of other falungs; in particular, the F word can denote anything from our aspirations in life " like i would like to die in an ocean of F pussy juice " or hostility " i am not going to F you up" or instructions "give me the F spanner". There are so many examples of how we use the F word, all different meanings in different situations.

I also find that in conversation I use the F word as a means to place emphasise another word or emotion, So in all the F word is one of the most versatile words in the language particularly within the last 50 - 100 years. This is something most other non-English speakers appreciate and can result in much F ...ing misunderstanding.

Another joke i remember from my very early Schooldays. " what four-letter word starts with F and ends with a K and if you can't get one you use your fingers ". The answer is a FORK. Very daring in primary school humour.

18 hours ago, soalbundy said:

a lack of self respect, education, manners and vocabulary.

I might buy "manners," but I doubt the others definitively apply. If you do not believe anything is wrong with profanity; there is no lack of self-respect? I know well-educated people with large vocabularies who cuss. One of my mentors was a highly respected nuclear physicist; his favorite expression when something happened seemingly without explanation was, F##cking Magic. 

I believe the more unpretentious the group, the greater the prevalence for profanity.  

For those who look down on, or find embarrassment in, or have Christian morals about profanity, I have a question.

If you are at home tonight and your other half says to you in a dark brown voice "Darling, I want f***** really f***** hard in the f****** a*** tonight,' which way is that going to swing?

Edited by Traubert

5 minutes ago, Traubert said:

For those who look down on, or find embarrassment in, or have Christian morals about profanity, I have a question.

If you are at home tonight and your other half says to you in a dark brown voice "Darling, I want f***** really f***** hard in the f****** a*** tonight,' which way is that going to swing?

I wouldnt be having an "other half" who spoke in such a manner in the first place .

I dont pend time in the company of people with foul mouths 

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I wouldnt be having an "other half" who spoke in such a manner in the first place .

I dont pend time in the company of people with foul mouths 

You don't know what you're missing then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Nothing to do with old fashioned. I swear a lot but only with myself, hoping no-one else can hear me. I have never sworn in the company of women and children or in any other social group. Call it respect and dignity.

Am I offended when in the company of others consistently swearing? Not offended, but not impressed and accept they are not my kind of person.

He asked me to call him old-fashioned so I did.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I believe the more unpretentious the group, the greater the prevalence for profanity.  

Well, you nailed it. It's more likely that middle class people are more pretentious then those of a higher or lower station, and therefore feel that swearing is kind of 'non-U'. The kind of people that put knitted ballerina covers on their f***ing lavatory rolls. Note: 'lavatory' not 'toilet'. It's the word I prefer, and I know it's quite correct. I tend not to say 'bog' unless I'm at at football ground, or with my mates, or am trying desperately to offend. Boring even myself now. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
22 hours ago, grollies said:
22 hours ago, vogie said:

The only time I swear is when I hit my thumb with an hammer, then I can be heard from miles around, but no, never swear. I just can't understand why people need to use 4 or 5 expletives in one sentence.

For f**ks sake it 'a' hammer, not 'an' hammer. F***ing hell.

I love it when the gramma nazis make there own screwups while completely unaware of their own flaws...

Oh, and Richard:

Grammar

Nazi

Their

Screw-up

Cheers.

• Haha 2