Thailand passes internet security law decried as 'cyber martial law'

webfact

On 3/1/2019 at 3:57 PM, Too young to be old said:

Welcome to European laws. The Met police have 900 officers dedicated to monitoring and tracking 'hate crime', which are, course are subjective. Stabbings are on the increase, and largely treated with very minor sentencing, but post a comment on twitter or a website/Facebook the police don't like and its an early moring call from the totally inept National Crime Agency (who, incidentally are not police officers, but civil servants with powers). Free speech in the UK disappeared long ago. Be careful what you post on the internet because it is there forever.  As you all know Lese-majeste' is a catch-all crime in Thailand.

My niece in England had an early morning door knock from the Dorset Constabulary because of something i had said whilst chatting to her at 2am UK time from here in Thailand. They wanted to know where i was and demanded to look into her computer.

6 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

My niece in England had an early morning door knock from the Dorset Constabulary because of something i had said whilst chatting to her at 2am UK time from here in Thailand. They wanted to know where i was and demanded to look into her computer.

This seems very unlikely indeed. Are you sure she wasn't pulling your leg? Apart from anything else hacking into a person's computer requires specific authorisation from a Chief Constable on the understanding that a specific crime is being investigated, which means your niece is under investigation for something!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 3:00 PM, fouryesrs said:

Well u say it right : totalitarian society.. I want to add: with a corrupt force...a developing country ( third world ) ...big parts of society are run by criminal mafia gangs with roots within the government...every few years a violent coup...not a real social security system.....etc..etc...no wonder this cyber laws it fits the picture well...the question...who in the world wanna spend more than 24 hours in a place like this..????? 

Tourists

On 3/1/2019 at 2:58 PM, kiwikeith said:

Funny you should say that, I an In Nz for a few months and just got the news from the local watering hole.

many of my long time friends are looking to go elsewhere due to the new visa requirements on income.

Many have been paying the agent fee but will not be able to do this in the future.

Because of this I would hazard a guess as to the future outcome, that would be that the agents will be disgruntled and maybe this could bring about a bit of anger internally and may see a change in the rules, Maybe.

Yes mate. But. 

Critics of Thailand and in particular In Thailand will soon be made unwelcome.

No matter what the results of an election.And westerners are critical.

Unlike ASEAN countries and China.

So they make it harder for you and I to stay here.

That is what the countries around the world do. US lead the way in banning many Muslim countries. What do you expect

in totalitarian countries.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, NCC1701A said:

OK so how does this affect Thai Visa? Does TV hand over email and IP addresses?

I very much enjoy TV and appreciate their service. I think we have to assume they would do whatever was requested of them by Thai authorities. They are a Thai entity. 

And anyway, we are guaranteed the Thai Internet Service Providers will (and probably have already) provided certain details to the authorities. 

The only defense in Thailand is to not say anything that is clearly against the law. VPNs are nice, but they are not enough by themselves. 

• Thanks 1